Spork Boards

Granberry's Parlor

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:46PM Reply Quote
Politics. Don Granberry on the old Spork Boards was quite fond of talking about them, and here we continue on in that fine tradition.

ddt – June 12, 2016 06:11AM Reply Quote
So sad to hear about the new mass shooting in Florida.

Just heard a news report say "the most important thing now is to discover the motive" -- I mean, I feel that need to, but I wonder if we really should spend time on this? (Certainly we should not speculate.) It happened; it won't unhappen.

We can note things such as the shooter had a gun license.

ddt

porruka (Admin) – June 12, 2016 06:23AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ddt
So sad to hear about the new mass shooting in Florida.

Just heard a news report say "the most important thing now is to discover the motive" -- I mean, I feel that need to, but I wonder if we really should spend time on this? (Certainly we should not speculate.) It happened; it won't unhappen.

We can note things such as the shooter had a gun license.

ddt

Motive can be important to discover whether there is more action to come or if this was an isolated (relative to any ties _this_ shooter may have had) incident.

Sadly, it's more often used by those with megaphones to promote a particular point of view rather than more practical health and safety purposes.

John Willoughby – June 12, 2016 10:53AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I am depressed because my thought process was:

1) Oh, those poor people!
2) Well, this'll help Trump.
3) I hope the shooter doesn't have an encrypted iPhone.

I hate myself that 2) and 3) followed on so rapidly.

porruka (Admin) – June 12, 2016 12:48PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
2) Well, this'll help Trump.

Don't feel bad; Trump beat you to it.

johnny k – June 12, 2016 05:07PM Reply Quote
Yeah, since mass shootings don't really faze us anymore, they're only a readymade event for politicians to grandstand against each other, with just the specifics of this shooting to provide a little variety but ultimately not swaying anyone. Trump's sealed it — issues don't really matter anymore, it's all identity politics. Which is confusing here - are we against Muslims more or gays? Deeply religious guy with an assault rifle who hates gays... surely there's room under the GOP's big tent?

ddt – June 12, 2016 06:07PM Reply Quote
How about the guy caught with weapons and just about the same mass explosive Timothy McVeigh used, targeting the LA Pride Parade?

(Remember when there was a bill, almost bipartisan, that would have restricted purchase of that explosive, and another that'd have mandated tracking traces in the chemicals used to make those bombs? Not to grandstand of invoke identity politics, but interesting who killed those bills.)

ddt

ddt – June 13, 2016 07:29AM Reply Quote
DPBD:

As for political grandstanding, let's go to the tape.

Obama says no evidence ("what is that word you speak," says Fox News) shooter was tied to larger plot (and note that he doesn't say it wasn't, just that there's no evidence): http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/obama-no-larger-plot-orlando-shooting

Cruz thinks about how he can use the slaughter to try to bring up one of his favorite strawman causes and hammers as "political correctness": http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ted-cruz-statement-orlando-shootings-abandon-political-correctness

Bothsidesdoingit,

ddt

johnny k – June 13, 2016 08:25AM Reply Quote
Oh, thought he meant it was political correctness that prevented conservative Christians from shooting gays, instead only breeding an environment of hatred.

What is with the right's mantra of "radical Islam", as if saying it three times will make the Knights Templar appear? And on the other side, I don't know why the left has allowed it to become a thing with their reluctance (not refusal) to say it. It's not saying Islam is radical, but that there are radical Muslims, just like in every religion (meet the bomb-throwing Buddhist monks of Sri Lanka).

ddt – June 13, 2016 08:29AM Reply Quote
Yeah, there's definitely a lot of magical thinking (repeating "tax cuts for the rich WILL benefit everyone!" still hasn't worked).

I think you're right -- it's a dog whistle. Fomenting confusion and implying that all Islam is radical makes it easier to promote military action is them furren, towel-wearing countries. And that may be why the left won't repeat that phrase; the subtlety that there are Islamic radicals AS WELL AS CHRISTIAN RADICALS killing people, while true, doesn't dogwhistle well.

ddt

John Willoughby – June 23, 2016 07:58PM Reply Quote
So the UK's going to leave the EU. Given that Scotland voted over 60% to remain in, I wonder how the next vote for Scottish independence will go (if they're allowed to hold another one). Secede from the UK, join the EU...

ARL (Moderator) – June 23, 2016 09:27PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Scotland and Northern Ireland were quite pro-Euro (62% and 56% respectively). There are numerous reasons I could speculate why, but maybe a Celtic secession is on the cards?

El Jeffe – June 24, 2016 12:48AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I like change like this.

ddt – June 24, 2016 06:06AM Reply Quote
With all due respect, why? Just for the sake of change? What's the upside?

And looking at the map, maybe the London areas should secede, too: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-live-results-and-analysis

ddt

John Willoughby – June 24, 2016 06:13AM Reply Quote
I have to admit, I have an emotional desire for a strong Britain, independent of Europe. Intellectually, though, I don't know if leaving the EU makes sense. Certainly, the people of the UK have the right to choose their course. Let's hope for the best, once the markets get over their regularly-scheduled panic.

ddt – June 24, 2016 06:22AM Reply Quote
Granted, it may be a case of the sensationalist noise obliterating any message, but the arguments I've heard for Leave basically boiled down to "foreigners are dark and scary" and "those bureaucrats, yaknowwhatimean". Feel free to fill me and Mr. Pierce in: http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a46149/what-happens-after-brexit/

ddt

porruka (Admin) – June 24, 2016 06:38AM Reply Quote
The night is dark and full of errors.

(Something I posted on Facebook)

In a statement made though a spokesman named Nigel, the United Kingdom said today, "we look forward to taking advantage of this spiffy 'sharing economy' thing. Now that we've stated our intent to become independent contractors, we look forward to being our own boss, not having to clean our room, making a gazillion pounds, and finally being free of those oppressive regulatory issues all while setting our own schedules and enjoying a higher quality of life."

Simultaneously, the country downplayed the quality of the story video on the crowdfunding campaign it launched in concert with its historic secession from the European Union. "It's a work in progress," said the spokesman, Nigel (unrelated to the previous spokesman). "As we move forward, we'll be adding some exciting tier rewards. You can't just come up with a justification and compelling prizes for these things overnight, you know."

When asked about the timing of both moves and whether the crowdfunding reflects a lack of confidence in the exit, Nigel (the second) had this to offer. "The fact that the UK is moving on with its life what needs to be the story here. The soul-crushing difficulties of staying in a committed relationship with the EU are just too much to accommodate at this point in our culture when there are opportunities around every corner. We fully expect our partners who remain in the EU to make concessions to us since we're being the trendy ones. Their expectations will have to change; that's all there is to it."

Nigel did note that even though reward spiffs and levels aren't yet set, options like extended travel visas and trade tariff reductions will probably be available in the upper tiers for personal and governmental contributions.

Cloudscout – June 24, 2016 09:14AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
While we were in Bermuda last month, we were talking with an elderly couple from Liverpool who were clearly in the 'leave' camp. Their position was, "we don't want Brussels telling us what to do." They really didn't believe that membership in the EU provided any actual benefits to the UK.

El Jeffe – June 24, 2016 10:39AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
It's like the Berlin Wall coming down all over again.
STOP COMMUNISM!!!!! Go Queen! :)
Now Welsh, Scots, and British can move freely ....

John Willoughby – June 24, 2016 10:52AM Reply Quote
Welsh and Scots ARE British.

El Jeffe – June 24, 2016 10:56AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
don't tell THEM that....
I never knew how much they hated the Brits until I was over there.
At least the ones I met. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login