Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:43PM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

ddt – May 18, 2017 09:18AM Reply Quote
Quick update: the right-wing sites (redstate, townhall) have no stories about these things on their front page. They are worried that Trump surrounds himself with people who "hate him" -- wonder where they get their narrative? Oh, most discussed story for a few days running on Red State? Something out of context that Jerry Brown said about California. But, you know. Witch hunts are suffered only by Trump.

ddt

ddt – May 18, 2017 12:31PM Reply Quote
Back to the question of "would getting rid of Trump make things okay?" -- well, only if you can lay appointing intentionally cruel people like this at his and only his feet. But I suspect Pence, Ryan, and others would be juuuuust fine with it as long as they can go about their business of enriching the rich at the expense of the poor.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a55145/betsy-devos-education-cuts/

ddt

ddt – May 18, 2017 03:08PM Reply Quote
And if you're thinking, "Oh, someone is angry/triggered, so anything they say is unfair and a witch hunt and typical liberal": http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/listen-unhinged-fox-viewers-flood-nyc-councilman-with-hate-calls-after-his-clash-with-tucker-carlson/

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – May 18, 2017 03:51PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

ARL (Moderator) – May 18, 2017 03:53PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
ddt
Quick update: the right-wing sites (redstate, townhall) have no stories about these things on their front page. They are worried that Trump surrounds himself with people who "hate him" -- wonder where they get their narrative? Oh, most discussed story for a few days running on Red State? Something out of context that Jerry Brown said about California. But, you know. Witch hunts are suffered only by Trump.

ddt

The silence of the Elephants...

ddt – May 18, 2017 04:39PM Reply Quote
And it you read "Obamacare is failing, it's cooked, it's over": http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-obamacare-trump-mismanagement-20170518-story.html

ddt

porruka (Admin) – May 19, 2017 06:18AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
This is simply frightening, as much for what it says about the information levels of the electorate as the attitude specifically about 45.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/19/trump-russia-the-promise-scandal-proof

johnny k – May 19, 2017 06:22AM Reply Quote
The good thing about those intractable Trump voters is that if Pence becomes President, the party will schism.

porruka (Admin) – May 19, 2017 07:34AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
johnny k
The good thing about those intractable Trump voters is that if Pence becomes President, the party will schism.

I used to think that but now I'm not so sure. Note the "it's the Democrats fault the President can't get things done" line in the article. My current assessment is that while some of the frothing worship will subside should Pence become 46, the "it's the liberals' fault" rabidity will continue.

The inability to consider the circumstances critically means that it's less the person and more the indoctrination, which is exactly what the US political right has been fomenting since 1980.

ddt – May 19, 2017 08:24AM Reply Quote
And let's keep in mind Pence is a terrible person who wants to impose terrible things on the county.

Came here, actually, to ask Indianans their opinion of him as a public exec. I've been seeing how his popularity as a governor tanked once he put through his agenda, and how much it's costing the state (and costing the state to undo a lot of it).

ddt

John Willoughby – May 19, 2017 08:52AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
While I agree that a Pence presidency would be horrible, whoever the Republicans choose to be president would do the same thing. Women need to be guided, brown people are scary, furriners are terrorists, gays have chosen to be abominations, rich people will make everything better if we just make them richer, the US was founded to be a white, male, Christian, capitalist sanctuary, etc.

One can hope that Pence will refrain from antagonizing all of our allies simultaneously, fellating Putin, blowing the cover of our intelligence assets, appointing incompetent idiots, stealing government money, and might even spend the occasional weekend in the White House.

In a choice between Caligula and Palpatine, I tend Palpatine. Until 2020, that is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 08:52AM by John Willoughby.

ddt – May 19, 2017 09:48AM Reply Quote
Make that bumper sticker!

ddt

John Willoughby – May 19, 2017 10:40AM Reply Quote
So the government is now using some of their nifty anti-terrorism tools (Stingrays) to track down illegal immigrants. Because of course they would.

Only now are many seeing the downside to the security state.

John Willoughby – May 19, 2017 03:22PM Reply Quote

ddt – May 19, 2017 03:57PM Reply Quote
JW, some people see that as a good thing and a campaign promise, the rounding up:

'“I want – in all honesty I want all the illegals out,” said Emrich, the manager. “I want what’s given, my right to be an American – my right. I want to be first in line. If I need help, I want to be first, not somebody who doesn’t belong here.”

“Why do people think that they are entitled to healthcare free?” said Griffin. “Somebody’s got to go to work.”'

From https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/19/trump-russia-the-promise-scandal-proof

ddt

ddt – May 19, 2017 06:17PM Reply Quote
Whelp, someone just deleted all the tweet on Jared Kushner's Twitter account. Jared? Putin?

Follow-up question: Is that legal? It's not legal for the president to delete tweets from his official account.

ddt

johnny k – May 19, 2017 07:04PM Reply Quote
To paraphrase a tweet I can't find, we were depending on Washington adhering to conventions, not laws.

ARL (Moderator) – May 21, 2017 04:24PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
For those who want a glimmer of hope...

(Mind you, they said Hillary would win too)

ARL (Moderator) – May 22, 2017 04:34PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

John Willoughby – May 23, 2017 07:01PM Reply Quote
Trump has hired a personal lawyer for the Russia investigations. He comes from the same law firm that Lieberman is at. If Lieberman is appointed head of the FBI, gee, I guess that he'll have a real cozy relationship with Trump's attorney.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login