Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:43PM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

John Willoughby – May 15, 2018 09:01AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
The whole flurry over the White House staffer who commented that John McCain didn't matter because he was dying is the Trump White House in a nutshell.

Abominable behavior.

Public outrage.

Trump rage not at the behavior, but because somebody found out about it.

johnny k – May 15, 2018 09:32AM Reply Quote
Outrage at a breach of decorum, rather than something that affects peoples' lives.

Media lionizing another Republican as a True Great Politician because of mild sparring with the White House while voting for most of his agenda.

John Willoughby – May 15, 2018 06:23PM Reply Quote
I'm enjoying North Korea's double-cross of Trump. It's how they negotiate, a diplomatic judo. They get the other side to commit to an agreement, then impose last-minute demands. Their opponent has invested in the agreement, and has to make concessions to avoid a public failure.

Given that nobody expects Trump to personally negotiate anything, the true "agreement" is being worked on now between high-ranking diplomats behind closed doors and North Korea's turn-around is probably about that process.

My guess is that Trump will make under-the-table concessions to keep the conference going and his name in the limelight.

johnny k – May 16, 2018 06:37AM Reply Quote
Sounds about right, but I wonder how he'll be able to manage any sort of a win when NK is directly rejecting his central demand they give up the nuclear program. What else does NK have to offer? He'll look weak, but I suppose he just needs to convince himself and his rally crowds that he gave Kim Jong Un the business. Maybe he can make that giant abandoned hotel in Pyongyang a Trump licensee.

John Willoughby – May 16, 2018 08:19AM Reply Quote
He'll probably declare ongoing talks about nuclear disarmament a victory. Or he'll ramp back up to berserk and attack North Korea. He likes to be unpredictable, and he's dumb.

I think that Kim is just playing for time to get his warheads small enough, and his missiles accurate enough, to threaten the US directly.

So long, ongoing talks that achieve nothing, but don't fail, work for both sides.

John Willoughby – May 16, 2018 05:13PM Reply Quote
Probably just as well if North Korea blows off the talks.

With just one month until a scheduled sit-down with North Korea’s leader, President Donald Trump hasn’t set aside much time to prepare for meeting with Kim Jong Un, a stark contrast to the approach of past presidents.

“He doesn’t think he needs to,” said a senior administration official familiar with the President’s preparation. Aides plan to squeeze in time for Trump to learn more about Kim’s psychology and strategize on ways to respond to offers Kim may make in person, but so far a detailed plan hasn’t been laid out for getting Trump ready for the summit.

ddt – May 16, 2018 05:50PM Reply Quote
"I talk with the Korean grocer all the time. All the time. Fantastic fellow. And he loves me! So, you know. Time will tell, time will tell, but I'm an excellent negotiator."

ddt

John Willoughby – May 21, 2018 09:16AM Reply Quote
I guess that I was unfair to North Korea. The negotiations debacle was not as much due to traditional North Korean diplomatic judo, but to our president shooting himself in the foot. Both of them. And legs. And both arms. And torso. Leaving only a babbling head, blaming others for all of his omnipresent failures.

It is not clear, exactly, how this message got lost, or whether Trump merely misunderstood the context of the negotiations. White House aides told the Times they are concerned the president does not understand the elements of North Korea’s nuclear program—details with which Kim is intimately familiar—and that Trump “has resisted the kind of detailed briefings about enrichment capabilities, plutonium reprocessing, nuclear weapons production and missile programs that Mr. Obama and President George W. Bush regularly sat through.”

The President, as always, is trying to protect himself from the burdens of knowledge and informed decisions.

johnny k – May 21, 2018 09:44AM Reply Quote
I trust North Korea to do the sane thing, is how far this has gone. I have to.

This is why it's important to vote for progressives and not just party-backed Democrats in the mid-terms. When the vote on war comes up, I don't trust moderate Democrats at all to choose the greater human good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2018 09:45AM by johnny k.

John Willoughby – May 23, 2018 06:42AM Reply Quote
Presidential smart phone security is "too inconvenient.' Heaven forbid that our glorious leader be inconvenienced.

ddt – May 24, 2018 03:24AM Reply Quote
But her emails.

ddt

John Willoughby – May 24, 2018 05:36AM Reply Quote
Trump cancels summit with North Korea. Pretty much already scuttled by Bolton and Pence's comments, but Trump finished it off. Looks like no Nobel peace prize for Donny.

So, violence to ensue, probably.

John Willoughby – May 24, 2018 06:59AM Reply Quote

ddt – May 24, 2018 05:49PM Reply Quote
Apparently a co-worker read the whole thing as "DPRK threatened the US with a nuclear attack, so Trump called it off, and now they're crawling back".

Propaganda and playing to your core isn't just for DPRK.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – June 06, 2018 11:08AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I don't know whether this is a happy accident or part of Putin's "long game" strategy, but it seems he may ( unintentionally or otherwise ) end up the main beneficiary of Trump's " so much winning " trade policies:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/05/world/europe/putin-trump-europe-tariffs.html

John Willoughby – June 09, 2018 06:36PM Reply Quote
So, Trump declared that Russia should re-join the G-7, called the prime minister of Canada a weak liar, refused to sign the G-7 communiqué, and left the conference early.

Wow. I hope that Russia makes a better ally for the US than the UK, France, Canada, Germany, Italy and Japan apparently did.

John Willoughby – June 13, 2018 06:29AM Reply Quote
So, North Korea destroys ONE missile site (no mention of missiles), we cancel the military exercises that let our troops train to fight alongside the South Korean military (without previous notice to the South Koreans), no concrete steps towards nuclear disarmament, no mention of the human rights situation in North Korea, and Trump comes home and announces that he has solved the problem and eliminated the nuclear threat from North Korea.

Maybe North Korea will have our backs in our eventual war with the true enemy... Canada.

Mokers (Moderator) – June 13, 2018 08:43AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I think that anything that helps reduce the chances of nuclear war are a good thing. However, the administration's crowing about this achievement while at the same time pulling out of deals with Iran and Cuba tells me they are only looking for partisan wins.

John Willoughby – June 13, 2018 06:02PM Reply Quote
What achievement? The destruction of one missile base or our promise to damage our ability to defend our ally, South Korea? I see no positive results from this episode of the Trump Propaganda Extravaganza.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login