Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:43PM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

bahamut – December 13, 2017 05:21AM Reply Quote
Yes, but …

Somehow there is an idea that white Americans are supposed to thank African Americans, but Roy Moore would have been a disaster for African Americans. White Jones voters should thank African Americans. African Americans should thank white Jones voters.

Everyone should thank the women who came out against Roy Moore. Without them, it would have been a serious defeat.

John Willoughby – December 13, 2017 07:17AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
DIsturbing to see how many of Alabama's white voters preferred a racist, misogynistic, homophobic pedophile to a liberal. That's why Trump's base will never go away. They can be outnumbered, but they will not change their ways.

ddt – December 17, 2017 06:38AM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – December 17, 2017 08:36AM Reply Quote
Yeah, this isn't Trump's work. It's the GOP God Squad's dreams made flesh. You can't have a Dark Age until you turn the lights off.

John Willoughby – December 17, 2017 08:44AM Reply Quote
Hearing rumors are circulating in Congress that Trump intends to fire Mueller on Dec. 22, once Congress has gone home for the year. Whether he keeps firing A-G's and going through the chain of command until he gets one who will fire Mueller, uses an executive order that arguably allows him to appoint his own A-G so he could appoint one to fire Mueller, or just fires him outside legal channels and sends law enforcement to clear out his offices.

Any of these would mean turning our backs on the Rule of Law, and accepting a president who is closer to a king or dictator.

porruka (Admin) – December 17, 2017 09:12AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
Hearing rumors are circulating in Congress that Trump intends to fire Mueller on Dec. 22, once Congress has gone home for the year. Whether he keeps firing A-G's and going through the chain of command until he gets one who will fire Mueller, uses an executive order that arguably allows him to appoint his own A-G so he could appoint one to fire Mueller, or just fires him outside legal channels and sends law enforcement to clear out his offices.

Any of these would mean turning our backs on the Rule of Law, and accepting a president who is closer to a king or dictator.

Taking all that at (bruised and bloody) face value, it's at least heartening that all the analysis suggests Mueller has been building a bulwark against the possible countermoves with NYAG and the likelihood of charges (and investigation) at the state level as well. It's mostly been seen as a measure to defeat the pardon angle but could easily be a defense against removing Mueller himself, especially since many paths run through the streets of New York.

To me it means that even if 45 nukes Washington (not to underplay the damage and chaos that would ensue) there are still additional ramparts that may provide defense.

ddt – December 17, 2017 12:39PM Reply Quote
It's the natural endgame of IOKIYAR

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – December 17, 2017 02:07PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
It seems "but her emails" does not extend to "but his emails"...

ARL (Moderator) – December 17, 2017 02:10PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
ddt
It's the natural endgame of IOKIYAR

ddt

I had to google that. Can't believe that's been part of the lexicon for so long...

ARL (Moderator) – December 19, 2017 02:06PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Dave Loudin – December 21, 2017 02:08AM Reply Quote
Yes, but one ballot that had marks for both candidates was judged to be a vote for the incumbent, so the race is a tie. The local board of elections will draw lots to decide the election soon.

ARL (Moderator) – December 21, 2017 02:25AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
"Draw lots"? Adorable...

Dave Loudin – December 26, 2017 08:51PM Reply Quote
To add to the suspense, if the Democrat wins, the Virginia House of Representatives will be split 50-50 between the two parties. If the incumbent Republican wins, that party will retain control of the House.

johnny k – December 31, 2017 04:54PM Reply Quote
If you've got a bit of cash (or a lot of bitcoin), consider donating to progressive congressional candidates who are running first-time grassroots campaigns. @Pinboard, previously devoted to mocking Silicon Valley and writing wonderful longform, has put together a Great Slate of eight people with full-time jobs who are running in districts that the Democratic Party hasn't seen fit to contest in recent years, including that of Steve King, R-Bigot. He's also posted interviews with each.

Still a couple of hours if you want to pitch in for maximum effect. The national party has an arbitrary threshold of $100K raised by the end of this year to start supporting a candidate, and half of them have just crossed it thanks to this effort. The thing that pushed me over the edge is that this money is about laying down infrastructure for 2018 and future elections; knocking on doors, registering voters—not hiring consultants and professional campaign losers—and that's a long term investment.

John Willoughby – December 31, 2017 08:41PM Reply Quote
Kicked in $200.

I want the Democrats in 2018 to be like the Rising of the Ents in the Lord of the Rings. To Isengard!

ARL (Moderator) – January 01, 2018 06:51AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
Kicked in $200.

I want the Democrats in 2018 to be like the Rising of the Ents in the Lord of the Rings. To Isengard!

Treebeard/Quickbeam 2020?

ddt – January 01, 2018 01:42PM Reply Quote

johnny k – January 01, 2018 04:57PM Reply Quote
Ents is about right. A lot of talk and bias against change from the party. When you have a lot of people making money off the machinery, the existential threat too many of them see is not the other party, but the grassroots progressives who don’t need them.

John Willoughby – January 06, 2018 11:31AM Reply Quote
I agree with Trump. He IS a stable genius. He should be rubbing down horses and shoveling their dung right now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login