Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:43PM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

ARL (Moderator) – October 19, 2017 04:56PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

ddt – October 21, 2017 03:17PM Reply Quote
Jesus wept. If this document is true (and look at all the big hitters who believe it is; also, too, if it's not, it's incredibly close to stated policy goals of this administration), it's incredibly cruel, doctrinally motivated, divorced from reality, grounded in Islamophobia, and harmful to children and families. I can't see a defense of this. As someone said, this administration is "ideological extremism, tempered by incompetence": https://crooked.com/article/leaked-memo-reveals-white-house-wish-list/

ddt

Warren Peace – October 23, 2017 08:44AM Reply Quote
"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
My Dad came to visit for the weekend. Great father, glad to see him again, glad the grandchildren got to spend some time with him.

He has contempt for Trump, BUT despises Hillary with every fiber of his body.

He commented that he was glad the SC got another conservative judge. I asked him what Hillary would do as president that would have been such a departure from what Obama had been doing. He glowered a little and said, "Nothing." I gathered that was the point.

I listened to my step-mother and him call stories back and forth from their respective newspapers in the morning. Neither mentioned ANY of the stories that reveal Trump and his government to be the incompetents they are, instead focusing on market results (for my dad) or stories local to their home town.

Reading about the $32 million dollar settlement that Bill O'Reilly had to pay to one of the women he abused, the attitude was that this was far too much money to be paid to settle an abuse charge, regardless of what might have happened. (This wasn't explicitly stated, and my father DID acknowledge that O'Reilly had done wrong.)

His taxes are and will always be the only criteria for selecting a candidate. I do get the impression that, while he has nothing against LGBTQ people, he has the common senior attitude that they should stop making such a fuss, and would not be comfortable in the company of such a person should he/she/they be outspoken.

This is part of what's called "Trump's base." Not happy with him, but not parsing any negative news about him, and very likely to vote for him in 20/20. Not just rural Americans with pickup trucks.

I love my Dad, but I no longer understand him.

ARL (Moderator) – October 26, 2017 02:57PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
My Dad is similar in some respects.

Can be progressive on certain issues but conservative or even reactionary on others (was surprised to learn he voted no on the recent marriage equality survey, for example).

John Willoughby – October 27, 2017 03:50PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
It begins. My money is on charges against Manafort that don't directly incriminate the campaign as a whole or Trump. I'd be delighted if they did, though...

bahamut – October 27, 2017 06:14PM Reply Quote
Yup. Would love to hear what Wobs thinks.

Time to get the Russians out of the White House once and for all!

A well placed friend said this week that what the Russians did last year was the tip of the iceberg, they are very where and the Fox News folks are completely under their sway. Amazing.,.

ARL (Moderator) – October 27, 2017 10:56PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Can't wait for the twitter meltdown tomorrow...

Will Trump try to fire Mueller?

bahamut – October 28, 2017 05:18AM Reply Quote
Roger Stone is having a complete meltdown on Twitter.

ARL (Moderator) – October 28, 2017 06:24AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
The first of many I hope...

James DeBenedetti – October 28, 2017 10:05AM Reply Quote
bahamut
Yup. Would love to hear what Wobs thinks.

Wobs is a hard core Republican partisan, but from the Wall Street side, not Breitbart. He's blind to a lot of things - in the "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it" kind of way; the kind of person who looks at a chart like this and claims the problem is Democrats, the nanny state, black culture, or pretty much anything other than racism.

ARL (Moderator) – October 28, 2017 02:54PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I don't understand the um, almost "deification" of Wobs opinion on such matters. He's a neo-con so you should know where he stands on most things.

(And I know he's made some of you money - but from what I can tell his business model skirts dangerously close to insider trading. Hard pass thanks.)

ddt – October 30, 2017 10:57AM Reply Quote
On Second Muellerday today, top story on Redstate.com? "OMG, Hollywood pedophiles!"

I mean, nothing else going on.

ddt

bahamut – October 30, 2017 01:17PM Reply Quote
I meant the ex-military experience. My family in the military seem pretty adamant that there is widespread concern about the orange-colored "rot at the top." And the IC, don't get me started … Let's just say, there are people concerned that the history books have all the facts in them for one day.

Trump is far from a Wall Street republican, as today's suggestion of a shift in Fed Chair suggests. That's going to seriously harm the market's but he doesn't care, it's his pot to piss in and he's going to do it just so he can say he did. But the news today was catastrophically bad. Manafort was totally expected, but the news about Papadapolous was stunning. Collusion was going to be the tough charge and, all of a sudden, it's proving easy. Manafort may still have an out though … he may be able to testify against Trump and provide evidence that Trump directed his campaign team to get emails from the HRC server for campaign purposes. That's going to be an easy one to sell to the American people. It's like Watergate, it's a break in, except using Russian IC sources. That's bad, real bad. Now don't forget, a lot of people still liked Nixon and thought an injustice was done to him. It's only history that roundly condemns him.

I'm wagering 85% change of impeachment or resignation now. The question is, will Pence remain or is he gone too?

John Willoughby – October 30, 2017 01:36PM Reply Quote
Pence won't go. I honestly don't think that Trump will go before the 2020 elections. They called Reagan "the Teflon-coated president," nothing stuck to him. Trump is the opposite: he's covered with shit from head to toe, but he is just as invulnerable to political attack. I certainly hope that I am wrong.

James DeBenedetti – October 30, 2017 01:47PM Reply Quote
bahamut
I meant the ex-military experience.

Depends on whether you're an officer or enlisted.

Regardless, Wall Street Republicans have shown they're willing to tolerate pretty much anything, as long as it results in lower taxes, less regulation, and fewer government services.

John Willoughby – October 31, 2017 05:47AM Reply Quote
James DeBenedetti
Regardless, Wall Street Republicans have shown they're willing to tolerate pretty much anything, as long as it results in lower taxes, less regulation, and fewer government services.

Dammit, where's the "Like" button?

El Jeffe – November 02, 2017 10:16AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Random happenstance this popped up...
But article on folks happy with 45.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/many-trumps-america-crow-021526884.html

John Willoughby – November 02, 2017 12:43PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – November 02, 2017 09:57PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

ddt – November 03, 2017 06:22AM Reply Quote
Lock her up! That blonde in government who's using a personal email address and a private server to -- oh, it's Ivanka? nvm

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/11/newly-released-e-mails-show-ivanka-trump-kept-using-personal-account/

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login