Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:43PM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

ddt – October 02, 2017 08:47AM Reply Quote
I dunno, I see all that clamoring to the media for a furor as just more bullying. He's trying to threaten "people will hate you if I tell them to", which is also perhaps consistent with his constant need for "good reviews".

ddt

John Willoughby – October 02, 2017 08:52AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
A combination of promising things that he can't deliver to his base; virulently inappropriate attacks on his critics; steady, persistent feathering of his own nest, and vainglorious pursuit of whatever lickspittle praise he can attract.

A recipe for leadership.

porruka (Admin) – October 02, 2017 09:19AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
He will also deliberately start a meaningless media storm when there is bad/awkward news that would otherwise make headlines. Why'd the NFL fracas start? The week his senatorial candidate lost to Bannon's, and his cabinet's travel abuses were coming to the fore.

Of course, it could just be a coincidence. He tweets so much, and his administration fails so much, that a lot of failures would be bound to line up with random inflammatory statements.

Correlation vs causation?

John Willoughby – October 02, 2017 09:35AM Reply Quote
That's the question. If causation, then at least we know he's got a couple of brain cells left. Otherwise, it's just idiocy all the way down.

John Willoughby – October 05, 2017 11:57AM Reply Quote
President Donald Trump plans to "decertify" the Iran nuclear deal next week, declaring the Obama-era pact not in US interests and launching a congressional review period on the accord, according to two senior US officials. [CNN]

I guess that war with just North Korea would be boring, might as well add Iran. It's not like Russia will take advantage of our getting mired in more unending wars. And nothing soothes financial markets like war amidst the world's oil supplies.

If it has Obama's name on it, he WILL piss on it. Whatever it is, and however much it will hurt our country.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 11:57AM by John Willoughby.

johnny k – October 05, 2017 12:14PM Reply Quote
This one so obviously results in accelerating a nuclear Iran. Needless provocation, endangering our European allies and Israel, and destroying our trustworthiness in the world. I know it's good to have some adults in the Cabinet, but I'd like to see Mattis and at least one other resign in protest. Trump won't care, but maybe Congress will do what's in our country's best interests, rather than take cover behind Trump to protect the defense industry's interests.

John Willoughby – October 05, 2017 12:26PM Reply Quote
Iran could easily flood the Persian Gulf with cheap mines, sending maritime insurance rates through the roof and effectively eliminating access to most Middle East oil. We're less vulnerable to that than we used to be, but it would hammer the stock markets and effectively throw us into another recession or even a depression. Europe and Japan, too. Hell, maybe even China these days. And Russia, with its own oil, finishes off those "outstanding issues" in the Ukraine and the Baltic States while we deal with Iran and/or North Korea.

Bleh. Just one of the many scenarios that I torture myself with, and that leaves out Israel's actions when the US stops restraining them and Iran angrily announces that their weapon programs have resumed.

ddt – October 05, 2017 12:36PM Reply Quote
If you're wondering about what Congress might do, look to the comment sections of RedState and Townhall and Breitbart. They see the Iran deal as nothing short of (or actual) treason, certainly appeasement, possibly illegal funneling of Yoonited States dolla dolla to ISIS. Is Iran at all an ally of ISIS? OF course not, as you know, but you live in reality.

There's damn little way a Congressperson who was elected by the RedState comment section will do anything but try to revoke the Iran deal. They might as well vote against some hypothetical ban on 20-week abortions OH WAIT.

ddt

johnny k – October 05, 2017 01:28PM Reply Quote
Pro-life, but not so pro-life that those unwanted children deserve health care. This one is pissing me off to the extent that I call my lost-cause congressman Lamar Smith.

John Willoughby – October 05, 2017 02:00PM Reply Quote
If you preserve kids, they just grow up and expect things from their government, draining resources from deserving corporations.

ddt – October 05, 2017 03:27PM Reply Quote
Calling even hardcore, will never vote your way, Congresspeople is still important. They track numbers, really. Even if they won't vote the way you want, it may soften their support (in case, for example, there are a few R defectors and a vote is close).

ddt

John Willoughby – October 06, 2017 06:17AM Reply Quote
"Maybe it's the calm before the storm."

Looks like somebody's ready to start some wars.

ARL (Moderator) – October 08, 2017 01:43AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

dharlow – October 08, 2017 09:33AM Reply Quote
I keep telling folks if the Dems don't get their heads out of their asses that we will have 8 years of Trump, and then probably 4-8 years of Pence afterwards.

johnny k – October 08, 2017 07:08PM Reply Quote
I believe it, given how the establishment Democratic party continues to stay the course that got it here. But it's also easy to say that not knowing who could be the nominee, and what Trump's record of passed bills will end up being.

John Willoughby – October 11, 2017 01:02PM Reply Quote

dharlow – October 11, 2017 06:53PM Reply Quote
At what point do you know you should leave the country?

John Willoughby – October 11, 2017 07:20PM Reply Quote
November, 2016

ddt – October 13, 2017 05:54AM Reply Quote
Today's Republican party, everybody. Supports a candidate that's not only a Talibangelical but also actively worked to keep racial segregation in schools and poll taxes enshrined in law: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/roy-moore-led-charge-against-removing-segregation-from-alabama-constitution

But I'm sure his support comes from economic anxiety.

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 05:55AM by ddt.

John Willoughby – October 13, 2017 07:52AM Reply Quote
Trump's method of fixing things is to kick them down, stomp on the pieces and then, as he leaves, shout over his shoulder to Congress: "Fix it!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login