Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:43PM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

John Willoughby – August 18, 2017 03:16PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Well, you can't win a war against a company that grew up in Battle Creek, Michigan.

ddt – August 18, 2017 04:14PM Reply Quote
"Never get into a land war in Michigan."

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – August 18, 2017 05:57PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

John Willoughby – August 21, 2017 10:58AM Reply Quote
President looks at eclipse without protective glasses. #MakeAmericaBlindAgain

porruka (Admin) – August 21, 2017 11:04AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
President looks at eclipse without protective glasses. #MakeAmericaBlindAgain

Take that, science!

Cloudscout – August 21, 2017 01:19PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
We all wanted him to set up a blind trust...

Cloudscout – August 21, 2017 01:23PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
"I hollered, 'don't look, Donald!' but it was too late. He'd already been mooned."

John Willoughby – August 21, 2017 05:15PM Reply Quote
Lookit that! Lookit that!

ARL (Moderator) – August 22, 2017 01:46AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Tomorrow on Fox/Infowars: "Trump wins staring contest with Sun"

John Willoughby – August 22, 2017 06:33AM Reply Quote
ARL
Tomorrow on Fox/Infowars: "Trump wins staring contest with Sun"

You are prescient.

ddt – August 22, 2017 07:42AM Reply Quote
Okay, if Trump did indeed, as the "FAKE NEWS" NY Times reported, ask "What does success look like?" w/r/t Afghanistan, I will give credit. That would be an interesting and useful question to ask.

However... I'm reasonably confident that a) he got that from some business seminar or something b) he doesn't have the patience to listen to what would be a complex and conditionally branching discussion, as I'm pretty sure there is no simple answer.

ddt

John Willoughby – August 22, 2017 10:36AM Reply Quote
Trump's version of, "What does success look like?"

The plan sounds like a military proposal, not something that Trump dreamed up. Except for the idiotic secrecy about the number of troops involved, which is probably more for the domestic press than surprising the enemy, it doesn't seem unreasonable. Just open-ended.

There is no defined "win" case, because nothing that we would consider long-term success is likely to be attainable, at least at any force level Congress would support. We will not end corruption in the Afghan government, Kabul will not rule the entire country without major US ongoing military support, the Afghan military will not stand on its own, the Taleban and the other insurgent groups are not going away. Pakistan will not become more helpful and, if provoked, may actively assist the Taleban with even more resources.

Trump's doing his, "I know how to fix X, but I'm not telling, trust me" thing with Afghanistan. He doesn't. Nobody does. I don't really blame him on this one. Leaving would mean the collapse of the government and the Taleban roaring back into power. We can't win, we can't leave, we just have an ongoing cesspool of insurgency.

ARL (Moderator) – August 22, 2017 09:52PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
As well as the Taliban, various remnants of ISIS are setting up a base in Afghanistan.

There is no winning strategy, but maintaining a force just large enough to disrupt another ISIS caliphate is probably the least worst option.

ARL (Moderator) – August 23, 2017 02:31AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Back on the Trump Nazi thing, there's some poll showing 67% of Republicans approve of how Trump handled things.

?

I can't. I just ... can't even...

ddt – August 23, 2017 05:54AM Reply Quote
You have to look into what they choose for building their perception of the world. Case in point: http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/i-trust-facebook-more-than-news-trump-supporters-explain-why-they-think-charlottesville-was-a-setup/

ddt

ddt – August 23, 2017 07:07AM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – August 28, 2017 07:22PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
http://www.salon.com/2017/08/28/we-will-get-donald-elected-emails-show-trump-ally-was-working-with-russia-during-campaign/

“I will get Putin on this program and we will get Donald elected,” Sater wrote in one email to Cohen. “Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it. I will get all of Putin’s team to buy in on this, I will manage this process.”

Ron Burns – August 29, 2017 05:30AM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Двигайтесь вперед! Здесь нечего смотреть...

John Willoughby – August 29, 2017 06:13AM Reply Quote
To be fair, one of Trump's flunkies saying, "Let's make a deal with Putin," is not the same thing as a deal with Putin being made. Of course, it does establish that Mueller's investigation is not a "witch hunt" rather convincingly.

ARL (Moderator) – August 31, 2017 03:56PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Forget "Protect & Serve", it's now "We only kill black people"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login