Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:43PM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 31, 2008 02:03PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Well, my guy dropped out. After promising to stay in until the convention.
Something happened. Someone must have made an offer that Edwards couldn't refuse.

But now I'm a Obama guy. He's in town on Saturday and I'm going to take the boys to see him.

ARL (Moderator) – January 31, 2008 03:17PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
That Fake Steve blog post was hilarious!

El Jeffe – January 31, 2008 05:31PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
hmm. Never been there before. I thought that place was kinda like the onion You know, the stuff that's almost sounds true? I guess I was thinking of another site.

What a journey.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 02, 2008 02:46PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Just got back from an Obama rally at the Target Center in downtown Minneapolis. 20,000+ people there. Damn long lines to get in.

But DAMN that man can speak. He knows how to play to the crowd. He mentioned Wellstone 3 times to applause all three times. He had some very nice comments about Edwards. Makes me think there might be something happening there. He only mentioned Bush once. And that was to note that that Bush wouldn't be on the ballot. (Thunderous applause). He joked about Cheeny being a cousin (why couldn't been some cool like willie mays?).

He talks a lot about hope. That's it's not false hope. It's hope for a better future that brings real change. That the audacity of hope forces all the United Sates great achievements. And that it time for this generation to have that audacity and rise to the challenge of reshaping our country. And damn, but you believe him. You think "this is a man who can do it."

He spoke a long time. Over an hour. But he talked about what he would do for health care, education, defense, global warming, justice and the restoration of our nations infrastructure.

I think he's going to go all the way.

El Jeffe – February 02, 2008 04:26PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'll get my "Only 1,461 days" counter ready! ;)

What a journey.

ddt – February 02, 2008 04:51PM Reply Quote
well, then, FLL, you may like this, though it may turn joe off of the black eyed peas.

ddt

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 02, 2008 05:03PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
yeah, I saw that one. I thought it was well done.

tliet – February 02, 2008 09:39PM Reply Quote
John, I looked for your post on the old boards where you've set some goals for measurement in 2008.

Care to do another analysis? (You did one in early summer of last year)

John Willoughby – February 03, 2008 06:54AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Well, off the top of my head: so far we've limited our mass killings domestically to domestic sources, which is nice. I'd say that Iraq is better than it was in 2007, though I still believe that it would collapse like a house of cards without the ongoing commitment of a major portion of our military. I'd say that the Afghan government is largely powerless outside of the Kabul region, and that the Taleban seems a greater threat there now than a year ago, let alone 2004. With changes in governments, I'd say Britain likes us less and France likes us more, but our relationships with our traditional partners continue their slow improvement. We'll never see support like we had immediately after 9/11 again, though. And we're one unilateral, preemptive strike on Iran away from being the rogue superpower again. We won't be out of Iraq for year, possibly decades. Which may have been part of the neocon master plan, come to think of it. And we'll be doing it alone. I think that Pakistan proves how shallow our commitment to democracy in the Middle East is. It provides a (poor) rationalization for our being in WMD-less Iraq, and makes good talking points for badgering Iran, but we'd prefer to deal with autocrats who will do what we demand rather than democracies that might reflect their peoples' disapproval of US policies. Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan: our pals. And, of course, I'm glad that nobody's used WMD on anybody yet.

I'd say that the last four years represent a gradual recovery from the low-point the monumentally stupid actions of the Bush administration dropped us to before that. I think that we've lost forever certain things that were important to me, including any kind of moral high ground in international dealings. China and Russia are stepping up on the world scene, and we are distracted by and over-committed to our elective war in Iraq. Our economy is in trouble, we're taking massive investment from China and Middle Eastern financiers to help right it, and we spend billions and billions on Iraq. Worst of all, in the name of security, we've handed over a lot of our rights and many new powers to the government that we will NEVER get back.

I would say that al-Qaeda has been prevented from launching further terror attacks on the US. I do not believe that this was accomplished in a cost-effective and appropriate manner. After all, George Bush has now killed more Americans than bin Ladin, and tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of Iraqis as well.

stan adams – February 04, 2008 06:03AM Reply Quote
JW:

I have to sadly agree with pretty near everything in your list. I don't see any "change" coming from a future administration with any of the current front runners. I just don't see how anyone with intelligence, honor, outspokenness and true diplomacy will sign on to be Sec of State or Sec of D with McCain, Clinton, or Obama. It may just be that all three of them are in such a "campaign mode" that thoughtfulness is subliminated for now, but I fear that "bull headed" would be the one quality they all share.

If "stubborn and stupid" are accurate summaries of GWB, I have little faith that "stubborn and overly confident in ones ample intellect" would be preferred.

bahamut – February 05, 2008 05:30PM Reply Quote
the northeast (apart from CT) betrayed obama. let's keep our fingers crossed for california.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 05, 2008 06:20PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Do Ted Kennedy and John Kerry just shoot themselves now? If those two plus the gov can't deliver Mass, I think Obama is in trouble overall.

ddt – February 05, 2008 08:04PM Reply Quote
hm.

ddt

El Jeffe – February 06, 2008 01:51AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
McCain equals a sure Republican loss. He's a nut.

What a journey.

ghidorah – February 06, 2008 02:28AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
don't think any candidate running on a "change" platform would get a bump from old political jetsam like Ted Kennedy

Mokers (Moderator) – February 06, 2008 04:52AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
ddt,

The reason Obama got a bump in the polls is because he is picking up more of Edwards votes than Hillary did. I really don't think Obama is gaining ground. I like the guy, and really, what do I have to lose if he is elected? When I hear a lot of people talk about voting for him, they talk about it like it's a popularity contest.

Also, I would like to give a big fuck you to my polling place. When I get there, they separated the voting booths between democrat/republican/third party registered. Not only that, but there were like five times as many democrat booths, and they sequestered the third party/independent and republican booths to one side of the place. What the fuck is that? I am sure that my neighborhood has about 90% dems, but I really don't like that sort of thing. Also, it seems like the poll workers didn't know what to do when I came in and said libertarian. A couple of people had to ask questions before the one guy in charge says "give him his ballot, just like everybody else". If I see any of those idiots walking their dog or at the supermarket with an Obama, or Huckabee (not likely, obvs) button on, I'm going to kick them in the shins.

El Jeffe – February 06, 2008 04:58AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
people wear political buttons still/nowadays?
I would think they segregate it because it is a segregated primary. But, I'm sure every state does it differently.

What a journey.

El Jeffe – February 06, 2008 05:22AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

Madaracs – February 06, 2008 05:29AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
El Jeffe
McCain equals a sure Republican loss. He's a nut.

I'm actually convinced he may win.

El Jeffe – February 06, 2008 05:36AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
stop

doing

drugs

and I HOPE NOT

We (repubbies) actually NEED a Dem to get in and blame. ;) (tic - slightly)

What a journey.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login