Spork Boards

Eat, Drink and Be Merry

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – January 09, 2008 05:39AM Reply Quote
Great food, good food, sad food...

Soft Drinks, hard drinks or maybe beer or port...

Got Milk?

Cooking class, Cooking advice and what not to eat.

A place for discussing all food and drink... show your keen culinary prowess here, folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2008 05:40AM by Madaracs.

John Willoughby – January 21, 2009 03:28PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I'm indifferent because I don't like them, not because I like them too much!

Cloudscout – January 21, 2009 03:58PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
If it wasn't for all of the trees, I'd be able to see their corporate headquarters from my house.

Ron Burns – January 22, 2009 03:37AM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Can't see the wings for the trees eh?

SoupIsGood Food – January 22, 2009 06:33PM Reply Quote
Sea-bass, yuo say? "Striper" we say, or, to be accurate, "Stryyyype-AH!" Striped Sea Bass.

Stolen shameless from "Steve in MA" from the "SurfTalk" angling forum:

Make my striper on the grill all the time....do it the same way I do bluefish......

2 or 3 tablespoons dijon or whole grain mustard

2 or 3 tablespoons mayo

Crushed fresh garlic to taste (that would be about 20 cloves for me.... )

Some Old Bay seasoning

Some fresh or dried tarragon, oregano, thyme, any oir all of them

Splash of white wine

Fresh ground black pepper

4 or so tablespoons olive oil

Shot of Tabasco Sauce

Shot or two of Worcestershire Sauce

A bit of soy sauce

Mix all of the above together to make a "dressing"....it should be somewhat thick, like a creamy ranch dressing, so adjust the liquids or the mustard/mayo to get the right texture.

Skin-on bass or bluefish fillets

On the skin side, make a few slashes thru the skin and into the flesh about 1/8" deep. Place skin side up in a baking dish. Pour on some of the dressing, using a spoon to push it into the slits.

Flip the fillets over, pierce all over with a fork, and pour on the rest of the dressing.

Let sit in the fridge for at least a half an hour, up to two hours.

Heat up the grill, and a fish basket if you have one.

Use some of the dressing to oil the grill or fish basket, and then place on the fillets.

Cook a total of about 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness, turning about 4 times and basting with the extra dressing on every turn.

As embarrassing as it sounds, I don't like most fish, including sea-bass and bluefish. I like salmon and shark and clams and shrimp, and that's about it. My ol' Battle-axe loves her some fresh-caugh striper, tho, and the above recipe makes her happy.

SoupIsGood Food – January 22, 2009 06:56PM Reply Quote

The ol' Battle-axe has been making me low-carb Pita samwidges for lunch, and this has helped me to stick to the diet.

In return, I've been making myself dinner entrées for the evenings when she's at grad school. I have invested heavily in sausage. The local, Portugese-cuisine varietals, savory-and-pungent Linguicia (Lin-gwee-saa) and spicy-and-meaty Chourico (Sha-reese) are staples, but a few local places do an =awesome= polish sausage. Unlike the Portagee sawgies, the Kielbasa needs a little something-something to make a meal.

You need:

1 Big ol' Kielbasa link, sliced on the bias, nice and thin.
1 Medium-sized yellow onion, sliced into strings
4 small-ish pats of butter
1 Big ol' bottle of Tobasco (for splashin', don't just upend the sucker)
1 Giant dollop of sour cream

Take your cast-iron skillet. Get it nice and hot on high-high heat, and while that's going on slice up your sausage and your onion. Once both objectives are achieved, turn the gas down to medium-low, and toss in the butter, and =right immediately after= toss in the meat and onion and stir for all you're worth for a minute or two. Get all the kielbasa slices to rest flat on the iron, and then leave it like that a few minutes. The toss and stir like mad, settle, and cook some more, stirring and tossing once every few minutes. When you think it looks like things might start sticking, give it a few splashes of Tobasco sauce, and toss-and-stir like crazy before letting it all settle down to cook summore. After a few more tosses-and-stirrings, add in a few more splashes of the hot-stuff.

Cook until the onions are brown, and serve ladled with sour-cream on top to ease the worst of the burn, or without, straight onna bulkie if you're a Man and can Take It. (Or widdout da bulkie, if ya onna lo-caaaahhb diet, like me.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 06:59PM by SoupIsGood Food.

El Jeffe – January 23, 2009 02:09AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Can one taste the seabass with all those seasonings?

El Jeffe – January 30, 2009 05:07AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Now, being near zero income, is not a good time to splurge. But I did. I bought me some 'spensive MILK at SuperTarget. Glass bottle/jug. I just wanted to try it.

Find out more here:

I also like how they poo-poo some parts of organic milk, or at least compare and contrasts their take. Seems pragmatic enough explanation to ME why their milk cannot be considered organic.

Anyway, it tastes radically different. Richer. Reminds me of whole milk, though I bought skim. Now that I think of it, I should buy whole for me to gain weight. Next bottle I will.

I have to return the bottle anyway. :)

El Jeffe – February 05, 2009 12:35PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I tried to eat a McD's hamburger just now. Can't believe the amount of gristle. So, I googled. This is a strange site operated by McD's.... I never heard of it.

John Willoughby – February 05, 2009 12:39PM Reply Quote
I had McD's the other day. (My wife begged me to take the kids out for an hour or so.) It was very different from my last visit there, a few months earlier; the meat was extremely salty. Salty enough that I didn't finish my burger. I thought that they might have moved to a lower grade of meat, and salted it more to cover it up, but it was probably just a cook who was a little too heavy-handed with the salt-shaker.

El Jeffe – February 05, 2009 12:43PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
sweat is salty
just sayin'

John Willoughby – February 05, 2009 12:48PM Reply Quote
Of all the bodily fluids that could be added to my burgers, sweat is near the top of my list.

El Jeffe – February 05, 2009 12:53PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Tears would be mine.
Urine is supposed to be sterile, though.

John Willoughby – February 05, 2009 01:19PM Reply Quote
But somewhat piquant, or so I imagine.

Alan Lehman – February 05, 2009 01:31PM Reply Quote
Of all the things I heard stories about being added to burgers, sweat is near the bottom of my worries. I have many friends who worked there in the mid 80's. After hearing all their stories I still won't eat there 20+ years later. And yes, urine was in at least one story. You do not want me to go there with the rest of them. Not on a public forum anyway.

John Willoughby – February 05, 2009 02:02PM Reply Quote
I've worked in a BK and a McD. No real shenanigans to report.

Alan Lehman – February 05, 2009 02:28PM Reply Quote
I worked in a Pizza Hut and have plenty of shenanigans to report. None of them, however, involved making food undesirable for customers (note to self: find those photos!). The stories from my friends at McD went well beyond the pale.

[Edit] In fairness, there's something about a-hole managers that tends to bring out the worst in employees regardless of who they work for. I'm in no way claiming that this is unique to McD (or even common there). It's just that this one case made an indelible impression on me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 02:30PM by Alan Lehman.

El Jeffe – February 05, 2009 02:44PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have heard one redeeming trait about them. They promote from within.
I've been in too many jobs where someone (including ME) was brought in from outside instead of promoting from within, and it takes a while for that distaste to be swallowed by the people underneath them. And it seems to me, those brought in often leave for greener pastures just as easily. The best people I have worked with are the ones that stay with the companies.

John Willoughby – February 05, 2009 03:01PM Reply Quote
Which is why I still work at the blacksmith's. Business has been slow, though.

Simon – February 09, 2009 05:44PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – February 10, 2009 02:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
While shopping yesterday I thought I should get something to eat, seeing that I need to gain weight. I got to the wal-mart deli hot bar, and an elderly lady in front of me ordered a (she didn't know the name) Corn Dog. I thought it odd an elderly lady wanted a corn dog. But, it IS one food you can hold/eat while shopping I guess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login