Spork Boards

Click Click Click

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – January 07, 2008 06:55PM Reply Quote
his tongue went click click click as his head hit the basket after the guillotine's blade had sliced it cleanly. for a few seconds his eyes blinked and a reddening of the cheeks was noted by the attending physician. the crowd howled in glee...

oh, i'm sorry, wrong topic. click click click is for camera/photo/digital photo discussions which seem to have a place in our hearts.

Originally started by Baha at the old site, I thought it was time we brought it to the new boards

Cloudscout – July 24, 2013 10:30AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I wish I could afford that. I leave on August 4th for a 9 day South African Safari and I desperately need to replace my EOS 10D.

Yes, I still have a 10D. I haven't done much shooting over the last 7 years so there was no rush to upgrade.

Now I think I'm going to pick up a refurb Rebel T4i.

tomierna (Admin) – July 24, 2013 04:46PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
The 5d2 body and grip went today to a nice kid at IADT.

The 7d is still available, and all of the lenses.

Cloudscout – July 24, 2013 05:13PM Reply Quote
I did go and buy that refurb T4i today. Came with an 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS lens and I bought a used 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS lens as well.

I like it so far... happy to be using SD cards instead of Compact Flash, too... especially since it has built-in support for Eye-Fi cards.

I'm going to get a vertical battery grip for it as well.

Alan Lehman – July 24, 2013 05:50PM Reply Quote
Why on earth sell the Canon TC-80N3 - Intervalometer/Timer? It's not like that's deprecated, that is, unless you're leaving the fold.

tomierna (Admin) – July 25, 2013 04:52AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Alan, Magic Lantern has a software intervalometer and timer built-in.

Alan Lehman – July 26, 2013 04:32AM Reply Quote
tomierna
Alan, Magic Lantern has a software intervalometer and timer built-in.

I love CHDK for my little P and S (precisely for the intervalometer) but I always forget about ML because it doesn't work with either of the bodies I have...

ARL (Moderator) – July 30, 2013 08:04PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I'm looking for a remote camera operating setup so I can take photo's adjust settings etc without having to fumble with the tiny buttons on a camera. Something that interfaces with the iPad is perfect.

I don't need super duper pro, I want cheap & cheerful that works reliably with a low end SLR camera.

Two options that seem noteworthy are:

http://www.camranger.com/

and

http://www.cameramator.com/

Anyone used either product or alternatives that are worth a look

Also, I'm thinking of getting a Canon EOS 1100D but I'm not sure what US model number that is equivalent to.

Budget for camera is $500 max

bahamut – August 05, 2013 10:39AM Reply Quote
I posted this on the other thread, but have you looked at the CHDK? It's probably not what you want since it's not for DSLRs, but there's a heck of a lot there.

If this is for you, I think that all the Canon DSLRs let you control them from a Macbook. Could be talking out my arse again though.

ARL (Moderator) – August 05, 2013 07:10PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Thanks Baha,

I also briefly considered this option:

http://gopro.com/

Cheaper and has wifi built-in for remote operation but on the flip side it has no flash and while it does do still photography it is primarily for video (and judging by the promotional footage on its website, HD underwater footage of scantily clad women...)

Frankly, a decent non-SLR digital camera that could be wirelessly remote controlled would be fine.

Cloudscout – August 19, 2013 02:37PM Reply Quote
I purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T4i (aka EOS 650D) before I went on my trip to South Africa.

It's a fantastic camera and I was surprised to discover that I can use my HTC One as a remote control for it. The HTC One has an IR emitter to let you use the phone as a universal remote. Someone else decided to make a free app to allow the emitter to be used as an IR remote for various cameras. Very cool.

tomierna (Admin) – October 10, 2013 07:26PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Click Click Click probably isn't the best sub to put this in, but it is a camera, soooo...

I just received the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and three Voigtlander .95 primes.

Some test footage:
https://vimeo.com/76574674

The color pass was done quickly in FCPX.

Here are two of the shots, straight out of the camera:
http://www.ierna.com/media/BMPCC_1841_C0001.mov.bz2
http://www.ierna.com/media/BMPCC_1859_C0000.mov.bz2

This is an amazing little camera. It shoots 1080p to ProRes 4:2:2, and has a ton of latitude when color grading. There should be a firmware soon which allows CinemaDNG RAW shooting.

The Voigtlander glass is incredible. It had better be for the price :/

porruka (Admin) – October 10, 2013 08:32PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Through the job JW and I shared most recently, I got to tour the BMD/da vinci facilities in Singapore not long before they started with the camera (right around the time they moved the da vinci color correction to software-only). Good stuff then and now too. Good people as well. overall.

bahamut – October 19, 2013 07:49PM Reply Quote
Oh damn you Tom, that really pisses me off. What an amazing video camera.

I have a bunch of Voigtlander glass. I think it's dirt cheap compared to my Leica glass. I may yet sell my Leica glass since I use it so infrequently.

Essentially it goes like this… CV glass aims at mid/high range Leica and gets 95% of the way there. I can't afford mid/high range Leica so I buy Elmarit and Summarit lenses. But CV is aiming more at the Summilux lenses.

So in the end, CV is what stays on my M 240.

I just shot my first video with my M 240 but it was nothing like the one you shot. Way too jittery. Not really good. Will have to see if maybe I did something wrong.

Or worse, buy one of those cameras.

The only thing that bugs me is that you can't use XLR with the BMD camera.

bahamut – October 19, 2013 07:50PM Reply Quote
BTW the new Sony Alpha 7 and 7R are VERY interesting. Wonder how they will do with the M mount CV glass I have?

tomierna (Admin) – October 20, 2013 08:30AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Sorry to trigger your gearlust, baha!

While I'm not a fan of the fragile 1/8" minijack for mic in, there are plenty of XLR to 1/8" adapters out there.

I've got a cart full of B&H to finish off my rig, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. This will include a pretty neat outboard audio recorder which has XLR in and mini out so you can patch into the camera for sync sound.

I agree that the new Sony A7 is interesting, but I don't know if I can give up a real TTL viewfinder for stills.

If you do pull any triggers, make sure to buy through the banner up at the top of Spork!

bahamut – October 22, 2013 03:09PM Reply Quote
If you use an XLR to 1/8" adapter though, you lose the benefit of the balanced connection  … 

tomierna (Admin) – October 22, 2013 04:17PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
While that's true, most of the adapters which I'd consider using are active and output line-level signal, so the unbalanced connection is only a few inches long.

tomierna (Admin) – November 11, 2013 09:26AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
B&H is running a fantastic deal on the Canon 70-200 @2.8 IS II lens right now. Was $2499, now $1899. You get a 4% reward and free shipping too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680103-USA/Canon_2751B002_EF_70_200mm_f_2_8L_IS.html/BI/1940/KBID/2629

(This is my affiliate link, so buying one of these will help keep Spork afloat!)

El Jeffe – November 11, 2013 12:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

johnny k – November 11, 2013 04:39PM Reply Quote
Speaking of hard drives: I'm playing that game again, moving files around to make room on my drives. Not supposed to happen anymore. I'm going to get a Synology NAS. What one to get? So many numbered models. I want something for general storage, of course, and Time Machine backups. But I'm considering a Synology primarily because it can manage torrents and be a Plex server for the house, freeing my computer from that task.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 04:40PM by johnny k.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login