Spork Boards

Click Click Click

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – January 07, 2008 06:55PM Reply Quote
his tongue went click click click as his head hit the basket after the guillotine's blade had sliced it cleanly. for a few seconds his eyes blinked and a reddening of the cheeks was noted by the attending physician. the crowd howled in glee...

oh, i'm sorry, wrong topic. click click click is for camera/photo/digital photo discussions which seem to have a place in our hearts.

Originally started by Baha at the old site, I thought it was time we brought it to the new boards

johnny k – May 09, 2013 11:52AM Reply Quote
If that's the price range you're looking at, I will put my broken record on the turntable: Click on that B&H banner up there and get an NEX-F3. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/859418-REG/Sony_NEX_F3K_B_Alpha_NEX_F3K_Digital_Camera.html

Snapsort won't help you there since it's comparing cameras from different categories, and it's wrong about some things (like image stabilization).

El Jeffe – May 09, 2013 04:04PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
thanks.

El Jeffe – May 19, 2013 06:29AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
bitten by the DSLR upgrade bug bad. I WILL pull the trigger.
Took my 'kit' to Roberts Camera. NONE Of my lenses will work with today's current generation of Nikon entry-level DSLRs. :(
So, sell all my lenses including my coveted 85mm/1.8 that took the below photos yesterday? AND... AND buy new lenses (new means new, used, refurb...et al)?????

Or step up to an non-entry level (Mid or pro), OLDER, USED/Refurb DSLR that still has the lens focus motor built-in? And AND keep my lenses.

I will be "Running the numbers" so to speak to see what makes the most sense.

Stepping up might mean older non-movie DSLRs. Not a biggie.

Or, get the 24MP D3200 with lens kit and start my new lens collection anew.... choices.....

El Jeffe – May 19, 2013 03:55PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Ok. Priced my used (but pristine) 85/1.8 (NON D) on eBay. Looks like about $350. So, to REPLACE that good of a lens with a newer one that would even work with the entry-level Nikon DSLRs would be pretty pricey.
My reviewing of this spreadsheet I borrowed/cobbled together says the D7000 might be my best option. It DOES have internal focus motor, so I would not have to replace any of my old glass. Any opinions?

Alan Lehman – May 20, 2013 05:57PM Reply Quote
Opinions? Yeah, I've got opinions. Note that I've had two glasses of wine and I'm a Canon guy so take what I say here shortly with a grain of salt.

DSLR bodies with built in focusing motors are stupid, worthless and poorly thought out. Seriously. Putting a one-size-fits-all motor in a body was the gaffe that cost Nikon the market leader position and let Canon take over. When autofocus was first being popularized, Canon went with the motor in the lens under the theory that some lenses were big and needed big motors whereas some lenses were small and, wait for it, needed small motors. Some lenses, like telephotos needed a huge focusing range while wide angles needed a much shorter range. By building the motor into the lens, Canon let the lens decide the necessary characteristics of the motor. At the time the market was about Nikon:Canon 80:20%. Over the ensuing years, that mistake shifted the market to about 80% Canon. Mostly because of the superior lenses that were mostly superior because of their focusing ability -- which was a direct function of the in lens motor.

I recall being astounded that the same Nikon body motor was driving the focus (and badly driving the focus as I recall) in both wide angles and 300mm/2.8 telephotos which are entirely different beasts. The motor was poorly suited to both tasks then and still is now. Oh sure, Nikon made the switch to in lens motors some time later but it was too little too late.

You may have a stash of lenses that rely on a body focusing motor. They may produce brilliant images. It may not be cost effective to replace them. But those lenses _are_ the poorly thought out past. Your call.

El Jeffe – May 21, 2013 12:51AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
roger that. I'll expand my search.

El Jeffe – May 24, 2013 09:52AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Nikon has a 10% off refurb sale today. So, I got the D5100

I'll be selling all my old Nikon stuff.
N90 + MF26 databack
D50
Nikkor 85mm F1.8 AF (non-D)
70-210 AF
35-70 AF
28-80

Alan Lehman – May 25, 2013 04:25AM Reply Quote
Is this your first VR lens? If so, be prepared to be blown away (as I was with the Canon IS) at how much difference it makes.

On my end, it's a two day soccer tournament this weekend. Three games guaranteed. At about 600 pics per game, I'm going to have a lot of images to sort. If they keep winning, it'll be a three day tournament. Three days in the heat and sun in the central valley. I'm oddly conflicted.

El Jeffe – May 25, 2013 09:58AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yes, first VR. I've 'test driven' them at the camera shop/s. Not in real-life settings.
That 5100 deal was too good for me to pass up.
All my gear will be up on eBay tonight. (I staggered the auctions).
That eBay mobile iPad app, used with my wife's new iPad Mini and some white poster board, makes it easy as snot to post.
But spent the morning working out UPS/USPS/PayPal configurations... seems last time I sold something in 2010, the various accounts and settings on these service sites have either been purged, or needed to be updated.
I have NO CLUE as to how I should approach SHIPPING options/charges, etc... and not eat/lose money. Though, anything will be fine.
I really just hope that no one scams me, or is dissatisfied and complains one way or another. I just want to sell the stuff.

I am still hesitating on putting my motorcycle on Craigslist. Thinking about getting a throw-away phone/number to not get spammed on my 'real' phone.

J-Coop : If you know anyone wanting a motorcycle, Virago 250 (nice starter/small bike) .....

El Jeffe – May 29, 2013 03:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Got the Nikon D5100 today. This will take some getting used to. Feel out of control in some ways.

Jeff Cooper – May 31, 2013 09:37AM Reply Quote
What lens are you using there?

I'm increasingly disenchanted with the 18-135 kit lens that came with my Canon t3i. The pictures I took in England were all soft, pictures I took of a new guitar purchase the other day were soft and had purple fringing, just not impressive. I have the 40 mm "pancake" lens, which is pretty good (although it's odd using a fixed focal length lens after years of using nothing but zooms) and a moderately pricey 70-300 mm lens that I bought for the Super Bowl when it was here, and that did a really nice job with the game photos. But I clearly need to address the everyday lens situation.

El Jeffe – May 31, 2013 09:48AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
iirc - bottom two are my old (now MANUAL FOCUS for THIS camera) 85mm/1.8.
Top are the standard 18-55 VR (kit).
By Sunday, all my (old) Nikon auctions will be ended.... hopefully all sold/gone...

interesting aside... as I look outside, those flowers have 'balled up' closed. Even the one I plucked from its stem that is sitting on a table top!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2013 09:49AM by El Jeffe.

El Jeffe – June 02, 2013 03:37PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
More out and about with my new camera.

Alan Lehman – June 12, 2013 11:30AM Reply Quote
Just held in my hands (albeit briefly) a Red Scarlet-X. It's beautiful. And heavy. I want!

El Jeffe – June 14, 2013 11:19AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

El Jeffe – July 12, 2013 12:06PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
what do ya'll think of the Nokia 41 megapixel camera/phone?
Ups the ante, or what?

Alan Lehman – July 12, 2013 04:34PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
what do ya'll think of the Nokia 41 megapixel camera/phone?
Ups the ante, or what?

I'm betting no. I think, (knowing next to nothing about it) that it's on the wrong end of the sensor density vs poor quality lens spectrum. All those megapixels won't fix a bad lens, it'll just give you more pixels to view it in.

I can test the limits of high quality glass with a 16MP sensor. No way that little flat phone thing with a tiny tiny lens is going to do any better.

Cloudscout – July 12, 2013 08:01PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
The sensor's magic isn't at the 41MP range, it's at the 5MP range. That's the sweet spot. It's all about using all those extra pixels for oversampling to reduce noise.

Combined with optical image stabilization, it's a dramatic improvement over existing phone cameras.

Alan Lehman – July 16, 2013 08:19AM Reply Quote
Cloudscout
The sensor's magic isn't at the 41MP range, it's at the 5MP range. That's the sweet spot. It's all about using all those extra pixels for oversampling to reduce noise.

Combined with optical image stabilization, it's a dramatic improvement over existing phone cameras.

You know what! I went and read the reviews and I have to say, I stand by everything that I said above. And let me add that it's the product of a failing phone company saddled with a failed operating system. It's a marketing exercise that's working on you and a few other windows apologists but likely won't go much further. Jesus, even the official reviews mention that 41MP is way more than the lens can handle.

Give it a year and it'll be a has been.

tomierna (Admin) – July 21, 2013 06:30PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I'm selling my Canon gear so I can upgrade to the newest:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/pho/3950665010.html

For Sporkers I might be persuaded to break up the kit. Definitely would ship to a Sporker, despite the ad language.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login