Spork Boards

Click Click Click

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – January 07, 2008 06:55PM Reply Quote
his tongue went click click click as his head hit the basket after the guillotine's blade had sliced it cleanly. for a few seconds his eyes blinked and a reddening of the cheeks was noted by the attending physician. the crowd howled in glee...

oh, i'm sorry, wrong topic. click click click is for camera/photo/digital photo discussions which seem to have a place in our hearts.

Originally started by Baha at the old site, I thought it was time we brought it to the new boards

bahamut – January 17, 2010 05:40PM Reply Quote
I'm thrilled with my Panasonic GF-1 and DMC-LX3. They've figured out precisely that problem of legacy lenses. Nearly any glass ever made works with them (well with the Oly EP-1 as well, but the interface and build quality made me sell my EP1). It's unbelievable how much lighter and smaller it is than a 35mm camera. You can't pocket it, but it fits neatly in my laptop bag and when don't I bring that into the city? Hell, it will fit in a heavy winter coat poket. You try that with a 35mm clone.

In other news. Apple has pretty much abandoned aperture. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1017&thread=34223177

stan adams – January 17, 2010 06:09PM Reply Quote
I agree Panasonic seems to be a doing a lot of things right with their photographic offerings, they still have a long way to go before they get to the level of "of course" that Nikon and Canon command. I think that thread on DPR supports THAT more than any bad juju on Apple's part -- I suppose an argument could easily be made that IF Apple wanted to position Aperture differently they MIGHT have a different kind of commitment to updates, but there are other answers that just make a lot more sense. Among those answers are the fact that Apple does not derive much revenue from Aperture and some how I really doubt that of , Apple would probably has very mixed emotions about doing anything that would force more fights with Adobe, the various firms beyond Nikon & Canon almost certainly have extremely narrow ability to work with Apple, lack of a clear strategy in regard to their WHOLE media-centric software suite, and whole bunch of other stuff...

Bruce Robertson – January 18, 2010 08:05AM Reply Quote
Recently got a Canon S90. Good reviews, compact. Ring system seems ingenious and versatile. Some time I'd like to play with a quality DSLR just to have a better direct understanding of what that buys you. But I don't do a lot of photography.

tomierna (Admin) – January 18, 2010 10:54AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
So, I'm looking to buy a studio strobe kit. I'm interested in Alienbees, but haven't had my hands on with anything else.

Price and portability are somewhat factors. I want to spend less than $1500 and want three heads and a combination of umbrellas and softboxes.

Any suggestions?

Bruce Robertson – January 19, 2010 12:35PM Reply Quote
From Cool Tools: strobist.com

Simon – February 09, 2010 05:19AM Reply Quote
Aperture 3 is out: http://www.apple.com/aperture/

tomierna (Admin) – February 10, 2010 03:14AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Does this mean Aperture has the RAW support for the cameras that Baha and others were curious about?

If so, does that mean that Aperture wasn't abandoned but merely not yet ready to ship?

Mighty Mouse – February 10, 2010 10:02AM Reply Quote
It was NOT abandoned.

bahamut – February 10, 2010 04:07PM Reply Quote
But it's not ready to ship. No support for the GF-1 or the EP series.

I was at B & H yesterday. Asked them how sales were going… Micro-four-thirds is huge they said...among the top cameras.

ghidorah – February 12, 2010 08:07AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
anxiously awaiting Pentax 645D... not that I NEED or'd be able to afford one...

bahamut – February 13, 2010 04:32AM Reply Quote
but will they ship? me? i'd love a monster like this. http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CB40190K2/

Alan Lehman – February 13, 2010 09:45AM Reply Quote
Why that monster? It's like a 4x5 without the 4x5. Maybe I'm missing the point. Sure you get tilt shift for camera and lens but you take a huge hit on resolving power working with a small sensor like that. It seems like a lot of extra work without all the benefits. Even if you put a 36mm sensor on it, you're still getting but a fraction of the resolving power that kind of rail/bellows setup traditionally provides on film.

Jeff Cooper – November 18, 2010 02:56PM Reply Quote
Two things:

(a) I hope this thread gets revived--I enjoyed the discussion, even if I didn't participate much.

(b) At the other end of the scale from what's usually discussed here: I'm looking to get my soon to be 9 year old son a point and shoot for his birthday or Hanukkah. Any suggestions? I'd like to stay at or under $100 if possible, and of course it doesn't have to be a brilliant camera. How important is image stabilization for kids? Obviously, that would add to the expense.

johnny k – November 18, 2010 03:50PM Reply Quote
Anyone know anything about the Sony NEX? Other than being Sony's usual make-your-own-standard, seems quite a bit superior to Micro 4/3.

bahamut – November 21, 2010 07:11PM Reply Quote
Not so sure, Johnny K.

Micro 4/3 has more lenses behind it and has the advantage of massive compatibility with existing lenses. Plus I'm not convinced of the Sony form factor. And it's more likely that they'd give up a hobby than that two camera companies would give up the hottest segment of the market at present, a segment in which they've staked their very future.

No chance you can afford $199 for, say a Canon 780IS, can you, Jeff? So many of the sub $100 cameras just aren't going to last very long. Otherwise maybe a Canon A490 or a Coolpix L19 or L22, but try em and see for yourself. I do love Panny too. They make some awesome kit. Try the Lumix FS-42… 

Mokers (Moderator) – November 22, 2010 07:24AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Hi Jeff,

Not a parent, so my experiences are solely from my time playing uncle with my siblings' kids, but I have found that kids do a pretty good job of picking up a point shoot and gettin it to work. I had one niece as young as 5 that was taking pictures. I put the wrist strap on them and told them to go ahead. For the most part, image stabilization was not a big deal, but almost all of the pictures they took were indoors. the biggest difficulty for them was turning it on.

Jeff Cooper – November 22, 2010 09:39AM Reply Quote
Thanks for the suggestions, baha and Mokers. The budget set here (less than $100) is part of the non-Mutual Assured Destruction agreement that I have with the kids' mom, by which we agree not to try to buy the kids' love with hyper-extravagance. Amazon has the Nikon Coolpix L22 for $89, and I have a $25 promotional Amazon certificate, so after doing some hands-on shopping yesterday I decided to go that route.

johnny k – November 22, 2010 12:22PM Reply Quote
bahamut
Micro 4/3 has more lenses behind it and has the advantage of massive compatibility with existing lenses. Plus I'm not convinced of the Sony form factor. And it's more likely that they'd give up a hobby than that two camera companies would give up the hottest segment of the market at present, a segment in which they've staked their very future.

Good point about skin in the game. I don't care too much about lenses; I'm not a real camera hound. Just want serious quality and not to think about it. I'm spoiled by using a Canon 5D lately (great for video). The NEX-5 has continuous autofocus even during shooting video (1080i) and is way smaller than any 4/3 camera I've seen. Also is good quality at high ISOs. My impressions are mostly off of this review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/

ARL (Moderator) – November 22, 2010 08:43PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

non-Mutual Assured Destruction agreement

ROTFL!

Oh god I can so relate!

There's so much that I'd like to tell but discretion is the better part of ... I dunno what ... not being able to vent about people who are batShitCrazy™

tomierna (Admin) – November 29, 2010 05:42AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I'm selling my Canon 30d.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260700092695

It comes with the BG-E2 grip and three batteries.

It would make a great starter camera for someone!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login