Spork Boards

Click Click Click

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – January 07, 2008 06:55PM Reply Quote
his tongue went click click click as his head hit the basket after the guillotine's blade had sliced it cleanly. for a few seconds his eyes blinked and a reddening of the cheeks was noted by the attending physician. the crowd howled in glee...

oh, i'm sorry, wrong topic. click click click is for camera/photo/digital photo discussions which seem to have a place in our hearts.

Originally started by Baha at the old site, I thought it was time we brought it to the new boards

ghidorah – September 13, 2016 11:52AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
sure--its a little dated, but you can still make some good pictures with it. You just don't have the flexibility greater resolution and low light capability give you. On the other hand I still have all 6 Pentax MX/G/E bodies so that immediately disqualifies me from commenting.

Mokers (Moderator) – December 27, 2016 08:55AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
So, I purchased the Nikon D3300 "kit" from B&H (thanks Tom!) a couple of years ago. It has the standard 18-55 mm lens as well as the Nikon RBN5520045GA 55-200 MM lens. I am looking to purchase another lens or 2 and would love some input. My first priority is something that will be versatile for everyday shooting of the kids. My wife takes as many pictures as me and she doesn't seem to care about switching lenses. Not that the built-in lens doesn't work, but would be willing to invest if it was a worthy upgrade. Second priority would be something with a better zoom, so when we are at the zoo, or taking a hike, I have a few more options with the zoom.

Requirements:

1. I can buy at B&H (I like that a lot of lenses are available used, plus can help spork)
2. Auto focus.
3. Durability

Edit, I think I have my all-around lens here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999548-USA/nikon_af_s_dx_nikkor_18_140mm.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Thinking of this for the greater zoom:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/729938-USA/Nikon_2197_AF_S_NIKKOR_55_300mm_f_4_5_5_6G.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2016 12:43PM by Mokers.

bahamut – January 06, 2017 05:22AM Reply Quote
I'd get this … Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S FX NIKKOR Lens and this Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens

If you want to expand your horizons and take better photos, go with a fixed prime. A good prime optically outperforms a zoom. It isn't more difficult, it's just different. Yes, you have to think about framing in different ways, but you don't have to think about the zoom either, you can just think about focus, speed, and aperture. I have a Leica M and these are among the best camera/lens combos in the world. And with there are no zooms in Leica M. It's worth opening that door and exploring. Both of these lenses have different purposes. 35mm is for more than one person or one person in their environment or an environment such as a room or a landscape. 85mm is for portraits. Moreover you these are FAST primes. Not only can you shoot in lower light (with that 35 you could easily shoot handheld at a dinner table without cranking the ISO high or resorting to a flash). Moreover, you'll be exposed to what short depth of field can do with portraits. It can be dangerous (nose in focus, eyes out of focus), but it can also be great for reducing a distracting background (the street behind your subject who is eating at an outside table or the messy living room) into pleasing bokeh.

As for zooms, the bad news is the all around, every day zoom that you want is this …

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520637-USA/Nikon_2164_AF_S_Nikkor_24_70mm_f_2_8G.html

It's heavy, that my Fuji and Canon equivalent.

You don't need that telephoto zoom unless your kids are into sports and you want them action shots. Note that it also is a slow lens. As focal length goes up, the exposure time necessary to eliminate motion blur goes down. 1/focal length is a safe bet for a maximum shutter speed. So with a 35mm lens, you can shoot as slow as 1/35 and be safe. At 300mm, you now need 1/300 … And that lens is anything but fast (plus as you zoom out, the maximum aperture gets smaller…confound it!) , so you are pretty much limited to outside shots in bright sunlight! Even so, you're best off lugging a tripod around with you for that. :/

I'd get the primes first, see how you like the image quality from them and start saving up (and working out) for that big ass Nikkor 24-70.

El Jeffe – January 06, 2017 06:44AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
loved my 85mm nikkor. sold it.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 06, 2017 07:43PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Thanks Baha. I think I am going to get those first two. I think that would be great for the type of shots that we take most of the time. It's going to be the kids. Depth of field is exactly the type of effect I was looking for I think. If my wife doesn't like it, we always have the kit lens.

bahamut – January 07, 2017 04:07AM Reply Quote
You'll enjoy them. It all depends on the photos you take, but primes are just great for photographing, especially people. Don't forget a 45 or 50 some day. That's the old "standard lens" that has gone out of favor, its excellent. Bet you can find a cheap one used for $150 sometime.

johnny k – January 07, 2017 04:22AM Reply Quote
Baha, if fixed prime is the bee's knees, what do you think of the Sony RX1? I thought it was extravagant, but not in comparison to your Leica, perhaps. No interchangeable lenses so it's 35mm only, but I like the pocketability and general unfussiness. Not that I'll be getting one any time soon.

bahamut – January 07, 2017 07:43PM Reply Quote
Part of the attraction to primes is that they are dirt cheap (and crazy small and light) compared to zooms. Even if you had shelled out the bucks for a Leica M, you could buy a bunch of Cosina Voightlander lenses (the 90, the 35, the insane f 1.5 Nokton classic 50mm) and have a phenomenal system. Each of those lenses is peanuts for what you get. And with those three lenses you have covered a hell of a lot of the shots that you will ever want to take.

The problem with the RX1 or the Fuji X100 or the Leica Q or their ilk is that you have a small and capable camera that costs a shitload … and you only have one lens. And that sucks. They are pocketable and unfussy, but man you are paying for that.

For $1000, the Sony RX-100 is a PHENOMENAL camera capable of insanely good reproduction, able to shoot shots that just shouldn't be possible. Almost all the shots I have taken were in ludicrously bad conditions… Like the tenth shot which was my son standing in front of a neon sign at a restaurant … at 8pm in the dark. I used a flash on him and everything… him, the sign, the facade, etc. just worked. Mind you, only he should have been in the flash. Flash a neon sign? Not good! But it all worked. It's amazing. And it has a kick ass zoom, equivalent to 24-70mm running f/1.8-2.8 … That's insane for that camera.

But unfussy? Um, … well … you can get great results without going into menu hell. If you do, you'll get way better results. But it's menu hell. So, make of it what you will.

The Fuji X-E2 is dirt cheap these days at around $300 and, if not pocketable, is close. I have one and am not selling it even though I my main camera is a Fuji X-Pro2 (I also have a Canon 5D MK 3 that is going on eBay soon… it's marginally better, but twice the weight of the X-Pro2… 

Mokers (Moderator) – November 26, 2017 02:04PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Well, I dawdled on buying these lenses, but Bitcoin has been up so much I decided to cash in and finally buy them. Thanks for the advice Baha. Didn't make it in time for Thanksgiving, but should be great for Christmas. Really interested in the 85mm lens to see what kind of portraits we can get.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 08, 2018 03:25PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Baha,

Forgot to mention. I really love these. The focus is so fast and the ability to shoot in lower light situations is really amazing. Thanks again for the recommendation.

bahamut – January 11, 2018 06:26PM Reply Quote
Which one did you get again? XE-3 is out now and it is excellent. I added ones to the stable. In fairness, I am selling off my canon gear.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 12, 2018 08:04AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I bought the two primes for Nikon you recommended.

bahamut – January 15, 2018 07:44PM Reply Quote
Oh right! Fixed primes are just awesome...

El Jeffe – January 17, 2018 12:08AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
drops mic...

400 MP Hasselblad
https://www.hasselblad.com/h6d-multishot/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login