Spork Boards

Multi Media Discussion

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:41PM Reply Quote
Film, TV, video DVD, DV, Flash. Put the Multi to use here, folks.

John Willoughby – March 28, 2017 10:06AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
I'm liking the Expanse (I liked the first book, but haven't read on). It's not a show that I can watch casually (i.e. while playing a game), though. Too much going on.

I also finished The Man in the High Castle a few weeks back. Great show, though profoundly disturbing in its depictions of an Axis world.

ddt – March 28, 2017 10:20AM Reply Quote
I can't get past how MitHC veers from what I thought was the main point and structure of the novel. I should give it another shot.

So wanted to like Penny Dreadful as the "no, this is the adaptation of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", but it was too... too?

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – March 28, 2017 03:24PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
The book (Strange & Norell) did look like a big chunky tome, which usually fall into good (for eg GOT books 1-3) or bad (GOT books 4-5) and nothing in between.

The TV miniseries kept the pacing of the story lively.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 03:26PM by ARL.

tomierna (Admin) – March 30, 2017 07:05PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
My company is doing the sound and projection for the Annapolis Film Festival right now, and the opening was Rob Reiner's LBJ.

Pretty great movie. This was the second public screening. It doesn't have distribution yet.

ARL (Moderator) – March 30, 2017 07:51PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

So wanted to like Penny Dreadful as the "no, this is the adaptation of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", but it was too... too?

Too mainstream?

Just an observation (and I lack the nuance to word this more diplomatically) but sometimes it seems your subconscious looks for a reason to reject anything that's not "independent film festival" enough.

ddt – March 31, 2017 06:32AM Reply Quote
Ha -- nah, it was just kind of deadly (no pun intended) dull. And I did not connect with the lead actors. I think if it'd have moved a little less glacially and a little less "WE ARE DOING THIS SERRRRRIOUSLY", I'd have hung on longer.

ddt

ddt – April 06, 2017 07:13PM Reply Quote
Watch it before it's pulled down again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=355&v=8Znx3LqNtl0

ddt

El Jeffe – April 07, 2017 02:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I saw it. it was ok. I liked or loved some of the others better. That some of the voices are almost true or matching to the actors' own, makes it less funny to me for some reason. But mostly, that making fun with Fisher in it... too soon for me... I guess

ddt – April 10, 2017 05:03AM Reply Quote
I just made some "glad I'm not sitting at work" noises because I'm genuinely excited. And I think Mr. Willoughby will appreciate the song used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU

ddt

johnny k – April 10, 2017 05:28AM Reply Quote
Asgardians of the Galaxy, says a Youtube comment, ha.

Just the new name actors alone get my attention. I wish Chef Goldblum was my drunk uncle.

ddt – April 10, 2017 05:56AM Reply Quote
I appreciated the comments on io9 about Cat Thor and Mewnir (why are you not reading Unbeatable Squirrel Girl? there's even compsci education in it), as well as talking about the titles being airbrushed onto the Best Van Ever.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – April 10, 2017 06:59AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Watched Sing with my kids. One watched maybe 80% of the movie and the other about 50%, so we might make movie night a thing finally.

John Willoughby – April 10, 2017 07:23AM Reply Quote
I found Sing oddly compelling, when the kids watched it. All the usual tropes, nothing unexpected in the plot, but still enjoyed it.

Mokers (Moderator) – April 10, 2017 08:05AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
You are so right. It was completely predictable, the plot setups were telegraphed from miles away, but we couldn't stop laughing and really enjoyed. I think part of that is because our older daughter wanted to get up and dance after each move and then clapped after every song, but it was just fun.

John Willoughby – April 10, 2017 08:22AM Reply Quote
We had discussions afterwards about the contestants, as though they were actual performers.

ARL (Moderator) – April 12, 2017 05:27PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I refused to go watch Sing. Seemed quite wooden plotwise.

El Jeffe – April 15, 2017 12:12AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Homeland disappointed.

johnny k – April 15, 2017 06:47PM Reply Quote
Colossal was very good, better than I was expecting. I thought the trailers spoiled everything but there was much humanity to delve in the characters, and still several twists and turns. Some might say disjointed, and not as tight as Get Out, but it kept us talking for two days. I like this return to sci-fi as an examination of social issues, but now through the lens of another movie genre, and now examining social issues that affect non-white males.

ddt – April 15, 2017 08:04PM Reply Quote
Looking forward to seeing Get Out and Colossal. Hidden Figures was good if a bit Lifetime-y (but great lesson). Kong was okay, Better Call Saul is still better than Breaking Bad, Your Name was hugely emotional, and I'm intrigued by the Japanese anime Nichijou, which really plays with form and texture in a lot of surprising ways (and the audio design is surprisingly sophisticated).

ddt

El Jeffe – April 16, 2017 01:18AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
never heard of Colossal

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login