Spork Boards

Multi Media Discussion

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:41PM Reply Quote
Film, TV, video DVD, DV, Flash. Put the Multi to use here, folks.

John Willoughby – January 09, 2017 07:09PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
You can rip the DRM and convert to ePub without too much effort.

John Willoughby – January 12, 2017 08:23AM Reply Quote
This would be SUCH a terrible move. I feel like this is Eddy Cue trying to unleash his inner Hollywood mogul and Apple having too much money on its hands. This would be the video equivalent of Ping, IMHO. Apple has never really impressed me with its entertainment industry savvy.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 12, 2017 09:39AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
It seems like Apple is just a bit behind the curve on some things these days. They were a bit behind on embracing streaming for both video and music, preferring ownership and rentals only. Then again, they kind of have to do something, don't they? I would have preferred that they help usher in a world of cord cutting with their own TV service. Although there are lot of products in that space, I don't think it is as mature and Apple has enough clout and clash to put many options together. I also think it could drive sales of their devices. It just seems like these sort of efforts are so half-assed sometimes.

John Willoughby – January 12, 2017 10:18AM Reply Quote
Apple should only embark on fully-assed ventures.

johnny k – January 12, 2017 12:07PM Reply Quote
Kinda with Mokers, and Apple does have quite a bit of new entertainment industry talent now. If it can be used for leverage to finally usher in a next-generation TV experience, great. If they're any good at picking talent, they can certainly outspend Amazon and Netflix. Netflix is on a knife's edge - they spend as much as they can bear to develop new content to avoid the even bigger licensing costs, and meanwhile their overall library dwindles.

But for Apple, that's a big If. Hire away a Ted Sarandos and I'll believe that content+Apple TV could be the new iPod. Remember that original pitch? 1,000 songs in your pocket. Millions of songs for $.99 each. They need a value proposition that simple and strong, adjusted for today's consumption habits. On demand, binge-worthy, curated - those are table stakes. I believe they indicated some support for budding musicians to get into iTunes/Apple Music directly and easily, and it might be interesting to foster the same in video - bite-sized shows like Car Karaoke or Adult Swim, but give everyone who's any good a chance to get an audience. Oh god, then they'd be taking on YouTube as well.

In the meantime, I'll probably buy another Roku.

johnny k – January 26, 2017 06:54AM Reply Quote
Anyone use H.265 encoding? Seems to get way lower file sizes in Handbrake for the same apparent quality. Just not sure what kind of playback support is out there. VLC, of course, but Quicklook in the Finder won't preview them. Apparently new Rokus have no problem, and Plex will just transcode on the server for others so I suppose it doesn't matter too much.

ARL (Moderator) – January 26, 2017 04:24PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I know that transcoding a file back to h.264 in Handbrake takes ages.

When it's a wider standard it'll be great though.

ARL (Moderator) – February 02, 2017 03:00PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, it's confirmed. Please Like Me season 4 will be the last.

(Warning, spoiler about the ending of season 4).

It's such an um, endearing and honest show. It will be missed, but as Richard Roxburgh said about the end of Rake, "it's always best to leave a good looking corpse."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 03:09PM by ARL.

ddt – February 02, 2017 03:32PM Reply Quote
I'm glad it's not going to drag on. It should end while it's still lively.

That show breaks my heart.

ddt

johnny k – February 08, 2017 07:37PM Reply Quote
My wife decided we would watch The Santa Clarita Diet, instead of tying up one of the many series we're invested in. Not bad, goes down easy, Drew Barrymore is funny.

But Young Pope! Love it. Visually and musically super-creative, Jude Law is amazing, and now four episodes in, I'm realizing that his character is probably serious, and far from fulfilling my own personal fantasy of becoming pope to troll, it's quite sweet about the faithful. But nonetheless a darkly funny, campy show. The creator has been making a lot of right, non-obvious choices. so young much pope.

ARL (Moderator) – February 08, 2017 09:38PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Watched a couple of Santa Clarita eps today as well.

Also, I watched I am your father - a slightly flawed but still engrossing doco about David Prowse, the man who played Darth Vader.

El Jeffe – February 09, 2017 12:17AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
johnny k
My wife decided we would watch The Santa Clarita Diet, instead of tying up one of the many series we're invested in. Not bad, goes down easy, Drew Barrymore is funny.

But Young Pope! Love it. Visually and musically super-creative, Jude Law is amazing, and now four episodes in, I'm realizing that his character is probably serious, and far from fulfilling my own personal fantasy of becoming pope to troll, it's quite sweet about the faithful. But nonetheless a darkly funny, campy show. The creator has been making a lot of right, non-obvious choices. so young much pope.

I can't draw myself to what I fear is anti-Catholic show.
However, I was able to take in a few minutes of Stephen Fry doing same last night. Then I can't....
Sorry.

ARL (Moderator) – February 09, 2017 03:30AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Jeffe, what about semi-historically based shows like say, the Borgia?

Not the Vatican's um, most pious papacy but an engrossing story.

johnny k – February 09, 2017 05:51AM Reply Quote
Jeffe, can't speak to whether you'd enjoy the show otherwise, but Catholics seem to like it. As an ex-Catholic, I can say that it doesn't disrespect anyone, not even the authority figures. The show is very interested in the provenance of grace. No one's out and out evil in the show, and it mostly bites at the political machinations and sycophants. Well-drawn characters, not caricatures. This show loves people, beautiful and ugly, inside and out.

And the opening credits (after the first two episodes), I just want to make love to them.

John Willoughby – February 09, 2017 05:57AM Reply Quote
NOT OUT OF WEDLOCK, SINNER!

El Jeffe – February 09, 2017 03:13PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Thanks JK.
historical stuff... liked Victoria and the Crown, recently.
Tons of lesser productions, too.

ARL (Moderator) – February 09, 2017 03:35PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Highly recommend The Borgias then.

When Game of Thrones came out, the Machiavellian machinations was compared to the Borgias.

El Jeffe – February 16, 2017 03:11PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I had no idea there were two to three substantially different versions of LEGEND.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M7N_TSZdic&t=1354s

El Jeffe – February 18, 2017 10:44AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Saw SILENCE.
Very long, quiet (duh) but very well shot, and acted.

johnny k – February 18, 2017 11:41AM Reply Quote
Saw Lego Batman. I had not thought about how many licenses Lego has to other properties that they can use in Lego form. The frenetic action sequences in this one and the original Lego movie are a genuine new thing in a movie chock full of references and parody, and like Will Arnett's voice, are always hilarious. This one's merely good because the plot is pretty conventional and drags a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login