Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Multi Media Discussion

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:41PM Reply Quote
Film, TV, video DVD, DV, Flash. Put the Multi to use here, folks.

ARL (Moderator) – August 16, 2017 02:21AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Better! ;)

John Willoughby – August 16, 2017 11:53AM Reply Quote
England expects that every man will do his duty. Ha-ha!
FCC enabling right-wing TV news company. And it's NOT Fox. It pays to have low friends in high places.

ddt – August 27, 2017 01:53PM Reply Quote
Have only been watching Halt & Catch Fire because... I've been watching it? But I genuinely enjoyed the Gordon and Joe tag-team pitch to Gordon's daughter. Good background expressions from Scoot.

ddt

El Jeffe – August 28, 2017 01:38AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
new season on?

ddt – September 08, 2017 07:17PM Reply Quote
Watching Local Hero. Oh my cats, possibly the most charming movie ever. And a baby Peter Capaldi being freaking adorable. Really, go watch or rewatch it -- I'd not seen it since I was a kid.

ddt

John Willoughby – September 12, 2017 11:06AM Reply Quote
Amazon just cancelled my Kindle pre-order for an upcoming book.

The release of the item in the order below has been canceled by the publisher and we have canceled your pre-order. You won't be charged for items that are canceled. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The paperback is still available. WTF? I don't read from dead trees anymore, and I certainly don't want one book of a series in one format and the other in another. Publishers suck.

porruka (Admin) – September 12, 2017 12:21PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby

The release of the item in the order below has been canceled by the publisher and we have canceled your pre-order. You won't be charged for items that are canceled. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The paperback is still available. WTF? I don't read from dead trees anymore, and I certainly don't want one book of a series in one format and the other in another. Publishers suck.

The publisher may have told Amazon to get stuffed over unreasonable demands from Amazon, too.

John Willoughby – September 12, 2017 12:38PM Reply Quote
Maybe. Net effect: less money for both of them, less reading for me.

John Willoughby – September 15, 2017 07:05AM Reply Quote
Good news, everyone!

A new, audio-only Futurama show is available on US YouTube: Radiorama. I imagine the Nerdist podcast with this episode is available from the usual places.

Some folks are disparaging this show, but I don't think that they are Futurama fans. A lot of them hate it without listening, because Chris Hardwick hosts it and plays a voice. Aside from the somewhat tedious 4-minute preamble to the podcast, he's pretty much invisible on the show (in the sense that his character doesn't sound like him and could have been voiced by anyone).

I really liked hearing all the old characters again. There were a couple of humorous points where they gratuitously cameoed (not a word?) many of the characters that wouldn't otherwise appear in the story (FatBot!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 07:09AM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – September 15, 2017 07:08AM Reply Quote
porruka
John Willoughby

The publisher may have told Amazon to get stuffed over unreasonable demands from Amazon, too.

I had email from the author. His publisher hasn't chosen a US partner for the book yet. Through a series of mistakes, the book was made available for pre-order anyway. They're in the process of rectifying the situation, cancelling pre-orders. (Though, oddly, the paperback is still listed as available for pre-order.) When there is a publishing partner, all of this stuff will eventually be available. None of this in the author's control. Publishers make (and break) their own deals, and different markets get different release dates.

porruka (Admin) – September 15, 2017 07:33AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
[...] Publishers make (and break) their own deals, and different markets get different release dates.

Yay for 18th c. copyright laws being applied to the 21st c. world!

John Willoughby – September 15, 2017 08:43AM Reply Quote
It's honestly a lot like DVD regions. Near complete autonomy in a market, and the author's got nothing to say about it.

John Willoughby – September 15, 2017 09:33AM Reply Quote
I saw the Hitman's Bodyguard last night. Huge, gigantic, omnipresent logic jumps and plot holes, but very funny (to my wife and I) dialog. I liked it, but I am embarrassed that I liked it.

ddt – September 16, 2017 04:41PM Reply Quote
I just wanted to see some spaceships (now that Cassini is no more) so I started watching Rogue One and... wow, maybe 20min in and it's... sooooo dull. The big beat to go to credits? "Come on, child. No, come on. *handwave*." And then... scene after scene of who cares?

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – September 17, 2017 12:10AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
That makes sense, because aside from Empire, I think They All Die er, Rogue One is the best Star Wars flick ever made...

(Please tell me you at least watched it 'til the end. The Darth Vader scene at the end is worth the price of admission...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 12:12AM by ARL.

ARL (Moderator) – September 17, 2017 12:15AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

Although I'll admit there's some cgi characters brought back to life (one in particular) with dead soulless eyes that do taint it somewhat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 12:23AM by ARL.

ARL (Moderator) – September 17, 2017 12:22AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
On a tangent, I finished season two of The Expanse yesterday.

I apologise for earlier claims of it being "the next BSG" and similar hyperbole, but I found it another solid season and churned through it in about 4 days.

Question for the book readers (Leviathan Wakes still sits unopened on my desk): Is Amos as much of a muscle-bound sociopath in the books?

El Jeffe – September 17, 2017 03:31AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ARL
I think They All Die er, Rogue One is the best Star Wars flick ever made...

(Please tell me you at least watched it 'til the end. The Darth Vader scene at the end is worth the price of admission...)

YES YES YES!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 03:31AM by El Jeffe.

El Jeffe – September 17, 2017 03:31AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
YES!!!

johnny k – September 17, 2017 03:51AM Reply Quote
ARL
On a tangent, I finished season two of The Expanse yesterday.

I apologise for earlier claims of it being "the next BSG" and similar hyperbole, but I found it another solid season and churned through it in about 4 days.

Question for the book readers (Leviathan Wakes still sits unopened on my desk): Is Amos as much of a muscle-bound sociopath in the books?

He is, but he's trying to do the right thing by his family, right? The books have had more time to flesh out his background. Read the standalone novella The Churn.

I'm about halfway through season two. The gunfight when they board Thoth station is awesome - that realism is what makes me a fan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login