Spork Boards

frosty's little friend

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – March 06, 2009 06:18AM Reply Quote
It's coming!

bahamut – June 09, 2009 07:19PM Reply Quote
oh jesus. what was i thinking?

YDD – June 10, 2009 02:56AM Reply Quote
OpenCL is indeed very interesting, as a cross-platform version of CUDA. Some programs can get absurdly faster with relatively little porting effort. I recently handed an image registration program back to its authors with a 10x speed up - and was apologising for not making it faster (another 3x should be available). The toolchain isn't quite mature yet, unfortunately, and Apple machines can't have decent GPUs in them yet (that said, I have a machine with decent GPUs, and I've just wasted a day trying to upgrade to Fedora 10....).

stan adams – June 10, 2009 04:05AM Reply Quote
CUDA is hot for quants now too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

Not sure what this means for me, as the Chicago financial scene is still pretty cratered, but I do think about the implications...

El Jeffe – June 10, 2009 05:27AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
A lot of friends had 'Cudas growing up.

stan adams – June 10, 2009 05:56AM Reply Quote
har har

I heard that with many Chrysler stores shutting down and worries that "Obama Motors UTLC" {unlimited taxpayer liability concept} lots of current Challengers are going into "museum" garages of people that fear only Al Gore approved vehicle will come out of UAW staffed plants...

Back on topic -- does anyone hear anything about Apple are REAL HPC these days? I mean I understand that is such a sliver of a niche that it does not matter to the dollar & cents directly, but it strikes me that there is TREMENDOUS MIND SHARE to be held / gained from stressing the fact that even the MBPs have uniquely powerful graphics hardware that COULD also be used for a range of numerically intensive computations...

Anyone ???

YDD – June 10, 2009 06:03AM Reply Quote
I know people who like giving presentations on their MBPs, with live calculations provided by the onboard GPU. It gets people's attention. That said, the HPC community is not that impressed by NVIDIA's current products. There's no ECC RAM and the fault reporting hardware isn't up to the standards of Cray and IBM.

ddt – June 10, 2009 06:23AM Reply Quote
stan and YDD -- could you email me your experiences and references on that? that'd be an interesting story to pitch.

tia,

ddt

stan adams – June 10, 2009 06:29AM Reply Quote
ddt:

I wish I was having some real experiences. Although I am currently completely and gainfully employed in a financial services firm, I am not working in the HPC part of things right now as the firm I work for can no longer afford their own inhouse staff for that area...

My buddies that are at firms that DO have some budget for this are HIGHLY CONSTRAINED by their firms' general risk intolerance.

ddt – June 10, 2009 06:41AM Reply Quote
interesting -- sounds like i could write about the last hurdles. still, email w/ contacts if they're willing to talk?

thanks,

ddt

YDD – June 10, 2009 07:37AM Reply Quote

stan and YDD -- could you email me your experiences and references on that? that'd be an interesting story to pitch.
Email address in PM

Dr Phred (Moderator) – June 11, 2009 06:43PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Wow, frosty is fast. So far so good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login