Spork Boards

Bahoot? Kersplat!

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – December 09, 2007 05:56PM Reply Quote
Well, it's about time.

ARL (Moderator) – September 10, 2016 09:27PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Baha
Apple has nothing going for it anymore except an ecology that we are all kind of locked into (and the fact that it's competitors are worse).

Succinctly put Baha. I'd add that the competitors nowadays aren't necessarily worse, but different, incompatible or inconvenient to make the switch to.

The walled garden gives and the walled garden takes away.

ddt – September 10, 2016 11:06PM Reply Quote
Well, I did run into Nick de Plume in person, and he's doing really well! All growed up, is young Master de Plume.

ddt

El Jeffe – September 11, 2016 01:40AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I got the iPhone SE.
And, I hear you about the eyes. Mine are QUICKLY going down/bad. I can't see/read so many things now.
I think I will need to get a big phone, too.

johnny k – September 11, 2016 05:30PM Reply Quote

Apple has nothing going for it anymore except an ecology that we are all kind of locked into (and the fact that it's competitors are worse).

Is it Apple, then, or a maturing industry? While Ive is honing the iPhone into its inevitable final form, should the company be turning to new pastures to Apple-ize and excite us again?

bahamut – September 13, 2016 08:29AM Reply Quote

and a big lovely one from Tim to me.

BOTH my iPhone and iPad went into recovery mode in my attempt to install iOS 7. connecting to iTunes to get them back.

ARL (Moderator) – September 13, 2016 02:49PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
iOS7?

Why so retro?

ARL (Moderator) – September 13, 2016 04:12PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

bahamut – September 13, 2016 04:42PM Reply Quote
Yup.

John Willoughby – September 23, 2016 07:45PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I am pissed at the Kindle app for iOS.

You can download audio books to accompany the regular print Kindle books. There is syncing technology so that you can switch back and forth... they call it WhisperSync. It's cool tech and generally works reasonably well. Lately, though, I have been burned twice. Previously downloaded audio content was instantly erased when my phone connected to the Bluetooth in my car.

I think that it is purging storage space for some reason, and the audio content is considered expendable. This is annoying when I can't listen to my audiobook on the way home from work, but it would be intolerable if it happened before a long plane flight. There's no warning, no explanation, the audio just disappears as though it had never been present. My phone does not appear to be short of storage space. No idea why it is purging if, indeed that is what is happening.

John Willoughby – November 01, 2016 05:30PM Reply Quote
Well, Apple and Microsoft have collaborated to feed me a nice shit sandwich. The latest Windows update on my MacBook killed Bluetooth in Boot Camp. Removed it from the Device Manager. I NEEDED Bluetooth because I only have the one damn USB-C port, and I was using a Bluetooth mouse so that I could power the laptop. Now it's back to the dongle and a corded mouse (which, incidentally seems a little jumpy through the dongle). Yay, progress.

ARL (Moderator) – November 02, 2016 02:47AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

John Willoughby – November 02, 2016 06:32AM Reply Quote
Yeah. Just like most other content providers, Netflix and Amazon don't want to be disintermediated. I honestly think that Apple should stop trying. A 70% solution is no solution at all (as opposed to Sherlock Holmes' 7% solution, which is very much a solution). Just keep the Apple TV current, match features in Chromecast, Firestick, and Roku, and stop pretending that you will ever be able to offer more than superior integration with the Apple ecosystem.

John Willoughby – November 02, 2016 11:59AM Reply Quote
Fixed my Bluetooth shit sandwich by running a hardware troubleshooter built into Windows. Why the hell didn't one of the many craptacular Windows help processes tell me about this? I mean you can find a thousand pages that tell you how to update a driver, but none of them had an "if that doesn't work..." addendum. It's built in! Why wouldn't you mention it? #^@#%#!!!

Mokers (Moderator) – November 04, 2016 07:59AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

porruka (Admin) – November 04, 2016 08:14AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.

I wonder what is particularly important about the 2nd-gen chipsets?

John Willoughby – November 04, 2016 09:12AM Reply Quote
The external HD for Tim Cook's MacBook Pro uses one.

bahamut – November 28, 2016 07:28AM Reply Quote
Have any of you upgraded to a newer Synology in the last year or two? I have a Synology DS 412+. It's never failed me (once, it proclaimed a drive was dying… replaced and everything was fine).

I'd want to upgrade if transfer speeds were significantly higher (I have 1000baseT, also a switch that supports link aggregation… currently have two ethernet slots aggregated) and if Plex could handle higher transcoding rates.

Heck, maybe I don't even need to transcode. Everything I'd watch would be via my Plex on my Roku, Plex on my Mac laptop, or Plex on my iPad Pro.

Thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 07:31AM by bahamut.

dharlow – November 28, 2016 11:58AM Reply Quote
I have a D1815+ it does not have the power to do the Plex Transcode I need so I run a separate Mac Mini server. I do use the port bonding on it and it works well though.

If you are to get one, make sure it supports Group 2 transcoding. https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Mobile/Can_my_Synology_NAS_transcode_videos_for_my_device

ddt – November 28, 2016 12:20PM Reply Quote
Tip of the hat to Plex -- it somehow knew that a single file with the name "The Legend of Korra - S02E01-E02.avi" was two episodes and presented it as such. Probably due to their file metadata lookup, I'm guessing?

ddt

porruka (Admin) – November 28, 2016 01:04PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ddt
S02E01-E02.avi

S02 = season 2
E01-E02 = Episodes 1 and 2

The naming conventions have somewhat standardized themselves...

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220687-Naming-Series-Season-Based-TV-Shows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 01:04PM by porruka.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login