Spork Boards

Bahoot? Kersplat!

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – December 09, 2007 05:56PM Reply Quote
Well, it's about time.

John Willoughby – December 28, 2017 11:54AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!

johnny k – December 28, 2017 01:38PM Reply Quote
I wouldn't make it a preference setting. The issue Apple was addressing was a sudden shutdown when an old battery couldn't keep up with peak demand. Who wants a switch that randomly shuts down the phone 1% of the time?

Now the messaging, they fucked up. Evidence that it's difficult to communicate the issue is in every media story that glosses over the fact that the slowdown only happens when the system demands more than the battery can provide. Apple should address the slowdowns that most of us see in the accumulation of software cruft over time, with a better OS and giving people a one-click clean-reinstall (or at least telling people that this is a more likely solution for their issue).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 01:40PM by johnny k.

ARL (Moderator) – December 28, 2017 04:29PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Dammit, cheap replacement batteries for iPhone 6 or later users only...

Does this mean my iPhone 5S wasn't slowed?

John Willoughby – December 28, 2017 08:49PM Reply Quote
johnny k
I wouldn't make it a preference setting. The issue Apple was addressing was a sudden shutdown when an old battery couldn't keep up with peak demand. Who wants a switch that randomly shuts down the phone 1% of the time?

I'd have gone to a preference that sets the phone to preserve the battery by default. It would have made all this go away, if it popped a big instability warning when the option was turned off. If I only use my phone untethered 8 hours a day, why should I have to slow it down and get 16 hours of battery life? I don't think that there's any way to message "we're going to slow your phone down to prevent instability" that wouldn't get the almost the same press that we're getting now.

johnny k – December 29, 2017 05:14AM Reply Quote
My understanding is that the problem occurs due to battery age, not the level the battery is at in its current charge. But given the voltage drop as the battery drains, I could see that this is happening at low battery levels. In which case, that option switch should also change the battery capacity scale, so you can flip the switch and see that you're going to get less running time. Certainly, giving people two options, as long as neither one causes random shutdown, would avoid much rage. Kinda surprised that this slowdown function isn't wrapped up in Low Power Mode, so if you don't want it, keep Low Power Mode off.

dharlow – December 29, 2017 06:46AM Reply Quote
We were having shutdown issues due to this issue on our 6s phones https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/ yet Apple refused to replace the battery for my wife's phone until it shut down during the OS upgrade and restore they had me do while I was in store. This happened of course minutes after the Genius walked away of course, luckily another one was at the table and saw it happen. The original Genius was claiming it was not needed because of a software fix. Now we know the truth that they were just trying to skirt around the replacements under that program via the software "fix".

Of course my 6s that I still use for development is also having shut down problems, I dread going back and having to try to convince them it needs to be replaced even though it is in the serial number range of that program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 06:49AM by dharlow.

John Willoughby – December 29, 2017 08:10AM Reply Quote

Roger – December 29, 2017 09:13AM Reply Quote
Looking forward to the Jony Ive video where he describes his passion for falling ice as a material. Only Apple is so design-focused that they get all the tiny invisible details right, like realizing that it snows in Chicago.

johnny k – December 29, 2017 11:29AM Reply Quote
Oh, Apple is detail-focused. All in how you define your goals. Like any good architect, those are the glory of the client and the architect, not the safety and comfort of mere people.

As a builder explained to me, the reason people like modern architecture is that it doesn't look like anything else, and it doesn't look like anything else because it's bucking time-tested practices to make sound buildings.

Cloudscout – December 29, 2017 02:13PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
It was designed with their new Snow Fright design language.

ARL (Moderator) – December 30, 2017 02:52PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I'm sure there's multiple metaphors/allegories from that story...

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 05, 2018 03:57PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Who knew it snowed in Chicago?

El Jeffe – January 06, 2018 09:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
actually, go to the East side of the lake, and it's a ton more, usually.

John Willoughby – January 08, 2018 01:27PM Reply Quote

bahamut – January 23, 2018 07:11PM Reply Quote
So weird. Both wife and daughter have MacBook Airs, making them the most popular Macs in our house.

I have yet to see a single 12” MacBook in the wild. Ever... mind you, I see Apple watches all the time...

https://qz.com/1187278/apple-might-finally-get-rid-of-the-macbook-air-aapl/

bahamut – January 23, 2018 07:19PM Reply Quote
On another note, realizing how few of us are left. ghidorah hasnt been here in a year, tliet in three. I’m sure there are many more who have disappeared. About ten of us posting, max, no?

Mokers (Moderator) – January 23, 2018 07:35PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I don't have a count, but the ranks are thin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login