Spork Boards

Bahoot? Kersplat!

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – December 09, 2007 05:56PM Reply Quote
Well, it's about time.

James DeBenedetti – December 07, 2017 06:55PM Reply Quote
Probably. My boys think macs are dumb, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. With Steam and Google Docs, Windows is a relatively trouble-free existence for kids who just play games and do homework on their computer.

John Willoughby – December 08, 2017 06:12AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
My oldest uses a Mac, just because it was what she grew up with. She has not acquired any particular skill with it. My youngest uses a Mac and iPad for her art, but games on a Windows machine. My wife has a Mac and the Dell mentioned above; she does her work as choir treasurer on her Mac, but games and websurfs on the Dell. I've got a herd of Macs in various stages of obsolescence, but only use one on the weekends to do my financial stuff. It's Windows all the rest of the time for me.

My family's clinging to their iPhones, but it is looking more and more likely that we will be dropping some of our Macs going forward. If I'd make the jump to Quicken for Windows, the Mac would only be a toy, used in idle moments.

Mokers (Moderator) – December 08, 2017 07:37AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
My wife is not a huge fan of apple, so we are down to two apple devices (my iphone and my retina macbook). She has a laptop, we have a Dell AIO in our office, then the gaming PC. She has a Samsung tablet and I have a Kindle HD. The girls have their Kindle kids tablets

dharlow – December 08, 2017 05:41PM Reply Quote
All I can say is wow! Apple is definitely losing us on the Mac side.

El Jeffe – December 08, 2017 11:54PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Apple Is Ready to Ditch the Mac
History and advertising highlight how iOS is poised to replace macOS.

https://www.pcmag.com/commentary/357782/apple-is-ready-to-ditch-the-mac

John added later ... and no touch screen Macs have been produced.

John Willoughby – December 09, 2017 10:02AM Reply Quote
I've got a touch screen Windows laptop; I never use the feature. It's like Steve said, nobody wants to use a computer holding their arms out at a right angle all day. I wouldn't take Dvorak's word on anything Apple related.

ddt – December 09, 2017 10:59AM Reply Quote
I was skeptical when I saw that it was PCMag making this prediction, but then I saw it was Dvorak and all uncertainly melted away -- it's certain that apple will not ditch the Mac.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – December 09, 2017 01:44PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
When Dvorak says Apple is doomed, it's almost time to buy stock. I'd be more worried when he starts cheering for Apple...

ARL (Moderator) – December 09, 2017 01:49PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

And even after all my complaints and gurning (Northern Ireland definition) I can't see myself using a windows pc as my regular machine. I dislike even using parallels...

bahamut – December 10, 2017 06:47PM Reply Quote
WIndows is annoying, but so is Mac OS. The differences have narrowed over the years. Windows is now generally just as aesthetically pleasing to my taste. The mainstays of my work, MS Office, the Adobe suite, and browsers really aren't any different on Windows.

John Willoughby – December 11, 2017 07:43AM Reply Quote

bahamut – December 12, 2017 07:01AM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – December 12, 2017 07:07AM Reply Quote
Gotta pay an extra tax on machines that can actually do more than run Office and browse the web.

johnny k – December 12, 2017 08:55AM Reply Quote
We apologize for the confusion if you thought that iMac Pro would have Pro features.

That's a little too much modularity, don't you think? Isn't it enough that the keyboard and pointing device were detached from the beautiful monolithic form? What do you nerds want!?

Roger – December 12, 2017 09:08AM Reply Quote
Who actually needs more than 32GB of RAM right now? Video editors? I agree that it's annoying for the "pro" machine not to be upgradeable — at that high a price you ought to be able to do anything you want with it! — but this seems like an upgrade that maybe a hundred people in the world would ever end up actually paying for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2017 09:10AM by Roger.

johnny k – December 12, 2017 09:16AM Reply Quote
Don't make me beat you with that Bill Gates quote.

bahamut – December 12, 2017 09:27AM Reply Quote
I was interested in the machine, but this quashed my interest pronto.

Roger – December 12, 2017 10:18AM Reply Quote
johnny k
Don't make me beat you with that Bill Gates quote.

LOL, fair enough. But really, apart from the nickel-and-dime annoyance about this being the $5000 "pro" model, I'm straining to see the real-world scenario where this makes a difference. I feel like in most real-world uses, either you know you'll need more than 32GB right away because this is going straight into an edit bay or whatever, so you order 64/128 immediately, or else you're probably not really going to need more, ever.

Who really spends hundreds to upgrade their RAM later on, years after buying? I think I did that once, ca 1998, when getting a new computer cost 2-3 times what it does now, and it was a bad idea even then. Or maybe the real reason to want an "upgradeable" Mac is just so you can buy RAM at less exorbitant prices than Apple charges?

Mokers (Moderator) – December 12, 2017 12:35PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Roger
Or maybe the real reason to want an "upgradeable" Mac is just so you can buy RAM at less exorbitant prices than Apple charges?

Winner.

Roger – December 12, 2017 03:13PM Reply Quote
Yeah, well, not exactly shocking that they don't want to build in a single-purpose Undercut Our Margins port in the new ultra-premium-priced top-end product.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login