Spork Boards

Bahoot? Kersplat!

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – December 09, 2007 05:56PM Reply Quote
Well, it's about time.

bahamut – September 25, 2017 03:44AM Reply Quote
What apps are going splat because they are 32 bit?

ddt – September 25, 2017 07:13AM Reply Quote
USA Cycling's app, though they sent out email that they're working on it. Penny Arcade's card game app. I'm sure there were a few others but can't remember at the moment.

ddt

John Willoughby – September 25, 2017 07:55AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I lost the Marathon games for iOS, and an app called Darkness which was cool for local sunrise/set times and the rate at which the day was lengthening and diminishing. Plus, no doubt, almost every iOS game that I didn't have installed and am so not aware of... games don't often get updated once they stop selling in quantity.

John Willoughby – October 03, 2017 12:08PM Reply Quote
Yahoo is Dumb. Swift was prescient.

John Willoughby – October 03, 2017 01:20PM Reply Quote
Equifax gets no-bid IRS contract to verify taxpayer identities. I don't see how this could be a no-bid contract... there's probably a thousand hackers that now have the same info.

bahamut – October 03, 2017 01:23PM Reply Quote
My /private/var/tmp directory (er, "folder" for the brain challenged) no longer empties on High Sierra. I used to remap my downloads directory to that.

BRAIN FART.

tomierna (Admin) – October 04, 2017 11:27AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
No wonder you constantly have problems with your Mac, baha, doing non-standard stuff like that.

/private/var/tmp is a hidden UN*X directory for good reasons. Userspace programs like Safari have no business mapping to that.

El Jeffe – October 04, 2017 01:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
John Willoughby
Equifax gets no-bid IRS contract to verify taxpayer identities. I don't see how this could be a no-bid contract... there's probably a thousand hackers that now have the same info.

Hilarious

bahamut – October 04, 2017 01:53PM Reply Quote
the tmp directory is just that, a tmp directory. it should be accessible to any usage. I've used it for not-quite-trash on unix systems for decades. tell me where I'm not supposed to use it?

besides, when did I say that I have problems on my Mac? iOS yes. Mac is pretty rock solid these days.

or are you being facetious? which is likely. ha!

tomierna (Admin) – October 05, 2017 08:21AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I was being serious. I come from the BSD mentality, where the system has a separate /tmp from userland - /usr/tmp, and my comments are an extension of that.

In macOS, you have another layer of abstraction in between you and the UN*X underpinnings, and you are circumventing it.

Apple may have changed the behavior of /private/var/tmp in High Sierra, or there may be something wrong with the periodic jobs in the UN*X side of your specific machine that's preventing your /private/var/tmp from cleaning itself up automatically. Who knows except Apple. If they changed something in the behavior of /private/var/tmp, and you weren't using it as a WindowServer application's destination, you wouldn't have noticed anything.

You've been quiet recently about your Mac stability, to be sure, but the last problem I remember writing anything about to help you troubleshoot was possibly related to USB Audio drivers, and I don't remember a resolution of that.

Anyway, I understand why you'd want such a feature. Here's a way to use AppleScript/Automator to do it automatically.

bahamut – October 05, 2017 12:58PM Reply Quote
Is there a /usr/tmp directory on the Mac? I don't like having background apps running unless I really need to.

Mokers (Moderator) – October 09, 2017 09:24AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Strongly agree with Tom here. In fact, I don't user even usr, I use /opt for any tinkering I do. I know I can wipe most of what is in opt without affecting the base system.

Mokers (Moderator) – November 28, 2017 10:50AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

Roger – November 28, 2017 11:21AM Reply Quote
Something is going extremely wrong with Apple's software release QA/testing recently. iOS 11 with the shitty performance and the bizarrely obvious autocorrect bugs, High Sierra with this glaringly weird gaping security hole…

John Willoughby – November 28, 2017 11:42AM Reply Quote
Cook isn't a technical guy, not even close. Ives' priority is with The Shiny. HomePod shows they're missing external dates; who knows how many internal deadlines were missed or rushed. Apple's going to need a Come to Jesus/Steve moment and re-work their business functions, or they're going to drop back into the pack.

Roger – November 28, 2017 12:07PM Reply Quote
Come to think of it, didn't they even describe High Sierra as a "Mountain Lion-style release," one to consolidate and iron out bugs rather than a feature-heavy one? Sheesh. Maybe all the releases need to be Mountain Lions for a little while now.

John Willoughby – November 28, 2017 01:08PM Reply Quote
I'm tired of speech-to-text not being able to understand a goddam sentence. I'm tired of Apple's Mail app filing email from people in my Contacts to Spam, even when explicitly set not to. I'm tired of my Apple Watch telling me, "I'll tap you when I'm ready" in the middle of my home Wifi network (and half the time never tapping me). I'm tired of the Apple TV stagnating with minimal hardware upgrades when it could have been a serious platform.

Apple always had a problem retaining focus, but at least under Jobs they COULD focus on something for a little while. AirPods are the only product in the last five years that feel like something well-done and old school.

ARL (Moderator) – November 28, 2017 02:53PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Jobs had his many flaws, but he did have people highly motivated by the sheer terror of displeasing him. I think they're all a bit too chummy now.

bahamut – November 28, 2017 05:44PM Reply Quote
Why the hell doesn’t.

Search on the Mac work
Search in mac or iOS email work
Autocorrect learn anymore
Podcast work
The App Store work
The touchbar live up to its potential
The finder handle disconnected disks gracefully and not hang in frigging 2027
Etc etc etc

bahamut – November 28, 2017 05:48PM Reply Quote
Also something is very wrong with amazon. Of ten orders in the last week (some were split up), 3 have been delayed, One permanently lost. another $800 item may be lost. What gives?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2017 05:50PM by bahamut.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login