Spork Boards

Just Health

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – January 30, 2009 06:15AM Reply Quote
Just health.

El Jeffe – April 20, 2017 12:20AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Tony, sending prayers your way, my friend.

johnny k – April 20, 2017 02:52AM Reply Quote
Ditto. Sounds like a really shitty week. You're a tough mofo.

El Jeffe – May 09, 2017 03:20PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

bahamut – May 13, 2017 07:38PM Reply Quote
Sorry, Tony! See I go away for a few weeks and things fall apart. Better not do it again next time.

ARL (Moderator) – May 14, 2017 06:18PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Finally almost recovered. Over 5 weeks since my appendix tried to murder me and I'm still not 100%.

One particularly weird thing about being so sick is it completely knocked my taste buds out of whack. I basically had the taste-buds of an 8 yo kid.

I couldn't eat anything with chilli, beer tasted awful and whiskey tasted like mouthwash. I had to drink my coffee milky & watered down rather than as my preferred doppio.

And 45 mins or so after even *one* drink I would start to feel out-of-breath and dizzy. Not drunk, just faint and out of breath.

Needless to say I was so miserable I was considering self-harm but thankfully my taste buds are slowly returning back to normal.

Next weekend I'll retrain my taste buds to appreciate whiskey. Whether they damn-well want to or not...

(Oh, and discussing the results of a blood test [thought I was anaemic] my doctor asked if I was a heavy drinker! Rude!)

johnny k – May 15, 2017 04:28AM Reply Quote
Glad you're on the up and up, Tony!
I had an ENT doctor ask me if I did cocaine because my nasal passages were so dry. Naw, I just snort silica packets.

John Willoughby – May 15, 2017 06:15AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Now I'm offended that my physician doesn't think that I am a drug abuser. My nasal passages are arid, too!

ARL (Moderator) – May 15, 2017 02:43PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
The thing about the drinking question was that, for the last month (due to almost dying) I'd been totally sober.

If I'd been asked that 3 months ago, guilty as charged your honour!

El Jeffe – May 17, 2017 10:02AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Hang in there TL.
I think part of my mom's suffering at end of life had more to do with the fact that she could not smoke (even SNEAK a smoke) into the many and long stays in hospitals and care facilities.
Worth thinking about for anyone that has an attachment to things. Even say caffeine or such.

ARL (Moderator) – May 17, 2017 02:43PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, my recent near-death experience has prompted me to update my will and finally get around to things like advanced health directives and medical power of attorneys.

The tl;dr version will be they can pull the plug as soon as I'm on a shit-ton of opiates.

El Jeffe – May 17, 2017 02:52PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
that's a good idea for everyone to as I say start from the end... buy grave or pay for cremation, take care of belongings (will, etc)....
not something any of us want to think about, but I can relate.

ARL (Moderator) – May 17, 2017 02:57PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Just don't get suckered into funeral insurance. That shit is a con.

Jeff Cooper – June 05, 2017 04:47AM Reply Quote
Wow, it's been a long time since I've been around here. This caught my (oddly functioning) eyes:

El Jeffe

The one thing the BRAIN does is compensate for vision issues. As much as it can....

Absolutely true. But it requires work. Hard work. Even if you're not conscious of it.

Jeff Cooper – June 05, 2017 04:51AM Reply Quote
Glad you came through y0our health crisis, Tony (though sorry you had to endure it).

bahamut – June 05, 2017 06:13PM Reply Quote
I guess I never mentioned my surgery. January/February....

It went well. Both cataracts are out. I went to a mill. Fucking doctor does 80 patients in one day. Even if he gets $100 per, he is cleaning up like a madman. It was easy enough, on par with a more serious dental procedure just no pain or discomfort...,

I got Tecnis Synfony lenses...

Pluses:

No problems with distance, I'm 20/20
I turn 50 this year and I am able to read without glasses. Right now I have teeny type on the iPad Pro, maybe 8 point? Lying in bed and it's not a problem. 1.25 + glasses make it perfect but aren't necessary most of the time.
Color is much better than it was, a 2000 Kelvin shift to the right.

Cons:

Flare at night (titles in movies seem to glow, as do headlights and stars in the telescope).
In some conditions I can see the rings in the lens (look up the Synfony to figure out how it works) through my telescope. Generally poorer quality higher magnification eyepieces.

I'm sad since I didn't have the money/drive to do astronomy enough before my eyes got bad. But so it goes. I think most of you would trade the oddities of nighttime seeing so you could read without glasses the rest of your lives.

Still no idea what caused it. My hunch is it was lasik. One of the techs ageeed...

ARL (Moderator) – June 05, 2017 08:06PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
You think lasik surgery led to cataracts? Hmmm... Might have to rethink my options. I'm 43 so I hope I have 3-5 years still before looking at glasses.

Forgot to say thanks all for the well wishes. Tastebuds and diet all back to normal now. Enjoying chilli, craft beer, & single malts with far too little restraint. One day soon I'll look in the mirror and it'll be "welcome back, double chin".

Bruce Robertson – June 05, 2017 09:13PM Reply Quote
Sounds like the eye surgery worked out quite well! Better than mine.

After cataract surgery mine was OK for a long time until the heart operation, when substantial damage was apparently done to my left optic nerve.

I still seem to be doing pretty well health wise and was able to do this recent hike up Icicle Ridge near Leavenworth WA.
June day, 1800 ft elevation gain, hour and half of switchbacks up to the top.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/icicle-ridge-1

John Willoughby – June 06, 2017 06:49AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I got my lasik when I was around 40. A terrible idea that they should have talked me out of. I had five years of perfect vision, then presbyopia kicked in (as is inevitable) and now I can't read without glasses. I get a little of the night issue that Baha references, as well. In retrospect, I should not have had the surgery until I was 50, letting presbyopia compensate for much of my near-sightedness.

My doctor says that they can re-do the surgery now, but I have fears of my cornea getting carved away in repeated surgeries until it becomes non-functional. Can't put corneal tissue back...

ARL (Moderator) – June 06, 2017 01:46PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
So, wait until I'm bumping into things is the consensus?

I can do that - people will simply think I'm drunk...

bahamut – June 07, 2017 05:05AM Reply Quote
Well if/when you get cataracts, you can replace the lens with the Tecnis Synfony or whatever they have then. It costs a fortune (I think it was around $9k out of pocket total for all the upsell), but it allows me to use tiny typefaces again. I have ideal reading vision with +1.25, which means I really don't need reading glasses except for the directions on aspirin labels I am looking at in the dark. Glowing edges around text in movies is disappointing as is the damage to my telescope vision, but it's a compromise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login