Spork Boards

Just Health

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – January 30, 2009 06:15AM Reply Quote
Just health.

bahamut – November 09, 2016 05:37PM Reply Quote
How is your friend El Jeffe?

El Jeffe – November 10, 2016 01:27AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Thanks for asking. first thing is to know he's head strong and determined.
After that, he's pushing through, struggling a bit. But pretty good. He appears a bit weak and hobbled.
He's surrounded by friends and family helping out.
He seems a bit clouded in thought, likely due to the meds and of course the actual surgery after effect itself, I suppose.
He's already dug back into daily tedium more than I like for him to have done. I think he needs to rest a bit more.
The hard part of the equation is he lives here, and works 5 hours away. At this moment, I cannot fathom him driving 5 hour to get back up on the horse again.
His schedule used to have him leave early Monday am, get to work, check in at a hotel for 3 days, drive back Thursday night, and call me during the drive back.
When he was cap/able that was a lot to do/ask.
Another two weeks should perhaps give indication on the direction he's headed.
He's asked me for practical knowledge on 'leave' and I suspect perhaps he has thoughts about disability should he be unable to return fully to work.

John Willoughby – November 18, 2016 04:25PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Seven months ago my endocrinologist had me make an appointment in October. When I went to it, he told me that I was supposed to get some ultrasound imaging of my thyroid done first (news to me). So I scheduled the imaging appointment. They were able to shorten the normal six-week wait to three since the possibility of cancer was involved.

Today, their automated reminder service called to confirm the appointment. I pressed the button, and it said, "your appointment is cancelled" and hung up. I guess that I hit the wrong button. Now I get to call Monday morning and fight to get my appointment back. Or wait another six weeks.

Totally my fault, I know, but terrible interaction design. I should have had to confirm a cancellation. In my pissed off opinion, of course.

ARL (Moderator) – November 18, 2016 06:42PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Shit, just hope the scan (whenever its done) is clear.

El Jeffe – November 19, 2016 08:18AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Now they're manufacturing office automation call devices!!!???

Diebold

[registering wrong votes... hehe]

John Willoughby – November 19, 2016 11:05AM Reply Quote
ARL
Shit, just hope the scan (whenever its done) is clear.

Not a big deal, though I'd like to get it established on record. Benign thyroid tumors are very common, and malignant thyroid tumors are very treatable, at least when caught early on.

This is the check-up to see if they've grown markedly since the previous exam. If not, then just yearly checks going forward.

El Jeffe – November 19, 2016 03:46PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've known many people get and treat thyroid masses/tumors, etc. I've known no one to suffer much from the affliction. Though, I'm sure some do.

bahamut – November 20, 2016 08:12AM Reply Quote
Good luck JW!

John Willoughby – November 20, 2016 10:46AM Reply Quote
Thanks, all, but it's no big deal. I was trying to gripe about how easy it was to inadvertently cancel an appointment that I'd waited weeks for, not the sudden but inevitable betrayal of my body.

As I said, probably fine, easily treatable if not.

El Jeffe – November 20, 2016 02:56PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
now you went and jinxed it! :)

El Jeffe – February 16, 2017 12:12AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Had my first name brand Fitbit (Surge) for one week now. Moved off of my Jawbone UP2 and 3 as they have announced they are leaving market. I loved the UPs, except for the bands. Love the app a lot.
Surge is HUGE for me. Feels like a weight on my wrist, tight/constraining, and can't button all my shirts. (I wear long sleeved dress shirts)

Fitbit app disappoints me. But I can get what I need I guess from it. The HR monitor and auto-sleep modes are superior.
Can't wear in shower is disappointing. 5 day battery vs my 10 day UP (Wife's Garmin Vivofit's battery was 9 months to a year!) means I must remove and charge more.

Band's strap is great. But the 'small' size (they also have others) is just ALMOST too small. But works. Not like I have 'fat' beefy wrists.

bahamut – February 18, 2017 09:16PM Reply Quote
I've got the Apple Watch. It's HUGE. No small hands here. YUGE!

El Jeffe – February 19, 2017 02:02AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
week or so now with fitbit surge. APP JUST PLAIN SUCKS compared to my other two ... UP and Garmin apps.
And WHY does fitbit not integrate with healthkit? Do they refuse to comply with Apple's privacy clauses inherent in healthkit? (Just GUESSING...)

But, on size... I have reached comfort, acceptance and appreciation of it much more than I would have thought. Still a bit mis-fitting. Must remove in shower (Grrrrr), [so, just shower LESS!!! :) ] and when I remove it, have horrible skin marks where the shape of the thing does not match my wrist well.

ARL (Moderator) – April 12, 2017 06:02PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Twisted bowels and burst appendixes, oh my!

It's been a skid-mark of a week. Just got out of hospital. I feel weak as piss.

El Jeffe – April 13, 2017 12:05AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Sorry Tony. Not fun. Hope you're back on road to recovery.

John Willoughby – April 13, 2017 06:32AM Reply Quote
Wow, rough time, ARL. I hope that you're back up to speed soon!

ARL (Moderator) – April 18, 2017 10:28PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, since posting that message I had to go back into hospital for another few days - Easter Friday til Easter Sunday (there was definitely no resurrection). Stomach failed again (paralytic ileum). So, in the two stays at hospital I had:

1 burst appendix with nasty abscess (it had likely burst for days and I'd not noticed the pain) and twisted/blocked intestines (probably caused by abscessy goo)
2 paralytic ileums and 2 nasogastric tubes
About 4 to five litres of bile (first time) and 1.5 litres of bile (second time) aspirated from my stomach
8 Canulas and god knows how many blood tests (enough so that every vein on both arms gave out)
9 days worth of antibiotics that are still ripping my guts to shreds
And I came a lot closer to dying than I care to think about (and a few times I frankly wish I had)

Thank god I only had one appendix - could not go through that circus again...

tomierna (Admin) – April 19, 2017 05:38AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Damn, ARL.

Get better, and see about re-populating that gut flora.

John Willoughby – April 19, 2017 06:23AM Reply Quote
What a terrible time you've had! I'm glad that you're back with us; the BBMBP meetings were lonely events without you.

Ron Burns – April 19, 2017 07:30AM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Really sorry to hear that Tony, sounds awful. Hope your recovery goes smoothly (and not just the live yoghurt..)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login