Spork Boards

Just Health

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – January 30, 2009 06:15AM Reply Quote
Just health.

johnny k – March 30, 2016 06:44PM Reply Quote
Really sucks to hear this, buddy. Let me know if you want a second opinion from an NP on anything. She wonders why you'd need to close the esophagus if you're only using a feeding tube. Regardless, that wouldn't be fun — you can't get so scrawny that the only way you'll beat ddt is on a bike.

ARL (Moderator) – March 30, 2016 09:24PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Holy shitsnacks, Jeffe.

Are they saying there's any sign of abnormal growths or other pre-cancery things?

El Jeffe – March 31, 2016 04:20PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ARL
Holy shitsnacks, Jeffe.

Are they saying there's any sign of abnormal growths or other pre-cancery things?

No cancer. His exact words were you'd be dead by now... Oh, I need to back up... So yeah, for two years they have been watching some oddities in one of my lungs.
I can never remember how much I share here... But second opinions are funny. and scary. Mayo Clinic takes no chances, I'll tell you THAT. They don't like the wait and see.
So, last year we got good news after repeated tests. But I can tell you that I spun the wheel of medical probabilities. Never fun. They had suggested the ONLY way to ensure I did not die from lung cancer was to remove my lung last year. I said No. Let's do as much as we can with the least invasion. My chance seems fine... BACK TO LAST PARAGRAPH....

He said I'd be dead now if my gamble had not paid off. But the NEXT TIME IT MIGHT TURN OUT DIFFERENTLY.

This is why I say my choice to cut my esophagus out was EASY... I KNEW I would die within months. No gambling. Do it, fight like hell and just win.
Gambling is scary.

And on that note, my fried will likely not make it through the night with his fight against brain cancer. He found out just weeks ago. Sad sad sad.

John Willoughby – March 31, 2016 07:41PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Oh, that's awful.

ARL (Moderator) – March 31, 2016 08:50PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Sorry to hear about your friend, Jeffe.

I don't know the full details regarding the lung thing but it sounds like a "we had to burn the village to save it" kinda mentality from the doctor.

Have regular checkups sure, but hang onto that lung for the moment (you never know when Vikings may pay a surprise visit).

:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2016 08:51PM by ARL.

El Jeffe – April 05, 2016 04:33PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Really feeling lousy this past week. Think I will pull trigger on another round of "visit the docs" again.
:(

John Willoughby – April 06, 2016 06:40AM Reply Quote
Good luck, Jeffe.

Ron Burns – April 06, 2016 11:21AM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Seconded..

Jeff Cooper – April 06, 2016 05:40PM Reply Quote
Thirded. Sending positive thoughts.

ARL (Moderator) – April 06, 2016 06:00PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Get well (and lay off the Malic Acid!)

bahamut – April 07, 2016 01:12AM Reply Quote
Ugh, sorry el Jeffe. That sucks!!! Hope things get better for you fast.

ARL, in my world of minor problems, I need to stop drinking too. Every night this week. Why, why, why? I don't even really enjoy it anymore.

ARL (Moderator) – April 07, 2016 01:35AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I've been good this week. Today is 4 days booze free (yes in a row, not cumulative total).

I find stressful incidents and/or boredom can be big factors. I also succumb if anyone is having a drink around me or in social situations.

So, I've somehow remained stress free and appropriately occupied this week. It won't last.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2016 01:36AM by ARL.

John Willoughby – April 07, 2016 06:34AM Reply Quote
The only time in my life that I drank regularly was when I was working 55-60 hours a week at my previous job. I couldn't sleep after work without either a long cool-down time (which would cost me sleep time), or alcohol. I didn't enjoy the drinking, but I could sleep.

I got too comfortable with alcohol, though, and got plastered on that Thanksgiving. Really put my worst foot forward. I haven't drunk much since.

bahamut – April 07, 2016 06:27PM Reply Quote
ARL

I find stressful incidents and/or boredom can be big factors. I also succumb if anyone is having a drink around me or in social situations.

Yes!

When I'm not stressed, I am bored so naturally a problem there.

ARL (Moderator) – April 07, 2016 10:52PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
So the trick is to become preoccupied with something distracting but also not overly stressed.

Some sort of really addictive or immersive video game? (Mind you, that has its own problems - and may be even more fun when buzzed)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2016 10:53PM by ARL.

El Jeffe – May 01, 2016 02:16PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Not that I have taken an 'action', but I DO like my new Jawbone UP2 ($19 at BB )
The app measured my sleep last night at 4 hours and 56 min.
Now, that is the time I GUESS that I stayed in 'one place' overnight.
Because, as part of that "MEASURED SLEEP" in included 1 hour and 46 minutes of me being awake. :)

That jibes with how much sleep I FEEL like I get. 3 hours. 'bout right.
Oh, and only 1 hour was "SOUND Sleep" ... I suck at sleeping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2016 02:17PM by El Jeffe.

El Jeffe – May 04, 2016 08:00AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
another aspirate event at midnight.
I am going to slowly kill myself at this rate.
another test scheduled for Saturday now.
doc appt later today.

John Willoughby – May 04, 2016 08:23AM Reply Quote
So sorry, Jeffe. Good luck at the doctor's.

ARL (Moderator) – May 04, 2016 03:24PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Get well soon, Jeffe.

El Jeffe – May 05, 2016 02:37AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Still turning my lung inside out. But feeling better.
Met with doctor and had a long laundry list of things.
two more procedures to schedule and see what they find.
he thinks I am overproducing bile. why? Dunno.
Been googling that a lot.
Another chest scan in case anything missed earlier.
doubling some meds to see if that helps.
Still glad to be here.... :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login