Spork Boards

Just Health

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – January 30, 2009 11:15AM Reply Quote
Just health.

johnny k – January 11, 2016 10:23AM Reply Quote
Baha, how do you track weight? We have a Fitbit Aria scale that I like - only thing is that I have to try to weigh myself at the same condition every day (morning before I eat anything, after poop), and also making myself do it when I know I've been bad.

Megaganglion sounds like your hand is a Japanese mecha. Worth it if you can fire it off to knock someone down, or hold the elevator.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2016 10:23AM by johnny k.

John Willoughby – January 11, 2016 06:37PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Glad you're making progress, Tony I hope that there's more to come!

ARL (Moderator) – January 11, 2016 09:16PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
johnny k
How'd your hand get infected, if you don't mind me asking?

That's a bit of a mystery but most people have various flora like staph living on their skin (and up their nose) all the time. Sometimes it can be just a tiny scratch/abrasion or just pressure/bruising and it takes hold in the dermis & subcutaneous fat. Avoid if possible.

I did consider scrubbing myself in 4% Chlorhexidine for the rest of my life as a preventative measure but that may be a tad extreme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2016 09:18PM by ARL.

bahamut – January 12, 2016 01:17AM Reply Quote
Johnny K.

I have a scale I use pretty much the same time every morning. I'm down 4 pounds today. Doubt the vodka will help, but expect to end up about 194 when all this is through and then can work my way back down into the 180s by the end of the season.

bahamut – January 12, 2016 01:18AM Reply Quote
BTW DPBD!

I think I overdosed on magnesium the previous day or maybe it was the 10k run I did or maybe it was the crazy 61 degree weather (30 today), either way I massively retained water on Sunday. Our daughter stayed home from school so it ran in the family.

Jeff Cooper – January 12, 2016 01:01PM Reply Quote
Tony: sorry about the continuing difficulties, but relieved at least that the IV antibiotics weren't needed. That's serious stuff.

Baha: I track my weight pretty carefully too. Weight variations are weird.

ARL (Moderator) – January 12, 2016 10:38PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I'm annoyed that, despite being on three courses of oral antibiotics, I seem to have lost zero weight.

I didn't drink for well over a week either (quite a stretch for me) and my double chin is as stubbornly large as ever.

(Mind you, I did binge on "comfort food" to compensate for going without other vices, perhaps there's a lesson there ... that is, stick to what I'm good at...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2016 10:39PM by ARL.

bahamut – January 18, 2016 10:49PM Reply Quote
Sorry about not losing weight, Tony.

It took a few days, but my weight got back down to where it was when I started. 192 today. Hoping for back into the 180s by the end of the week. I'll be going abroad for a week then. Drank a bit this weekend, not a colossal amount, but two couples had two bottles of wine both days plus maybe a beer each over the course of the day (lunchish) and maybe a small glass of sherry as well. Felt shitloads of anxiety yesterday, but didn't drink. Anxiety has lessened toady. Definitely staying away from alcohol for a few days after that.

Dave Loudin – January 19, 2016 07:05AM Reply Quote
I've been trying to get back on the weight loss track for several months. My oldest daughter is getting married in November, and I'd like to get down to near 200 for that. Trouble is, I've done the depression-avoidance thing long enough to get back to 275 or so. I'm going on a cruise next week (if I can get to Philadelphia this Saturday), so I'm going to try to start the process when I get home. I know I can do this, as I lost 35 pounds a couple of years ago. Cooking for one is a bitch, though.

John Willoughby – January 19, 2016 02:59PM Reply Quote
Right there with you, Dave. Just starting a low carb diet to try to knock off a dozen pounds or so before I transition back into low cal for serious loss mode. I've been traveling for the last couple of weeks, and ate horribly, but that just caps off an incredibly crappy year of weight gain. I want to blame my thyroid, since it's having issues, but I think that the real problem is just my decisions.

Congratulations on your daughter's upcoming marriage, by the way. Big milestone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2016 03:00PM by John Willoughby.

tomierna (Admin) – January 20, 2016 04:31PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I've been on a high-fat, low-carb diet since 10/2014.

I was almost 210, and within the first six months I was down to 175. I'm right around 165 now.

I eat 75% as fat, 20% protein and 5% or lower carbs.

Not eating carbs means two things:
- No hunger pangs, even in calorie deficit
- My body is already burning ketones instead of glucose, so if I want to lose weight I just reduce calories.

Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/keto , specifically the resources in the sidebar.

ARL (Moderator) – January 20, 2016 09:51PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
That's all well and good, but ketosis places you at a higher risk of kidney stones, kidney failure and other nasties.

While you can lose weight the "bad" fats & cholesterol in your blood can go through the roof - meaning your risk of being a trim, thin heart attack victim also rises.

[edit] I have no idea about effective weight loss though. I'm about to read the diet myth which apparently says the balance of microbes in your gut is vital.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2016 10:05PM by ARL.

ARL (Moderator) – January 20, 2016 09:54PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DBD!

On a tangent - my god gastro is fucking awful. I've no idea what triggered it, but I'm truly sick of the nausea and bloat from loading up on lomotil.

Bleah.

tomierna (Admin) – January 20, 2016 11:51PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
ARL, ketosis is not ketoacidosis. The former is when the body starts using ketones instead of glucose (because there is little to no glucose to use), and the latter is what happens when there are too many ketones and glucose is also high because it isn't being processed (because insulin isn't being generated to utilize the glucose).

My blood panels are way better than they were prior to going HFLC.

It's not the concentration of fats alone in the blood that causes arteriosclerosis, but inflammation caused by a failing insulin cycle that causes fat to stick to arteries.

Also, it's nearly impossible to consume enough dietary cholesterol to satisfy the body's need for it. In fact, over 75% of the cholesterol your body requires is generated in your liver.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2016 11:52PM by tomierna.

Cloudscout – March 20, 2016 01:59PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
It's 37° outside right now. I've never biked in weather this cold before but I'm about to give it a try.

El Jeffe – March 20, 2016 06:21PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Thermal
Speedos
selfie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2016 06:21PM by El Jeffe.

Cloudscout – March 20, 2016 09:57PM Reply Quote
I wouldn't want the ASPCA coming after me again.

Question... what kinds of fitness trackers have you guys used? I had the Microsoft Band when it first came out and then got the Band 2 when that was released. I've been really happy with them except for the fact that they aren't waterproof so I can't wear them when swimming.

I'm about to get a Garmin Fenix 3 HR which loks like it will do literally everything that I want from a smartwatch/fitness tracker.

El Jeffe – March 21, 2016 04:03AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Wife Vivofit 2. nearly/around 1 year battery life or so. Waterproof 'enough'.

John Willoughby – March 21, 2016 10:10AM Reply Quote
My wife has a Fitbit that counts her steps, and that's about it. She's happy with it, but it's very minimal. I've got the Apple watch, but I never exercise, so I get to check my consistently boring heart rate and steps counted.

Cloudscout – March 21, 2016 10:21AM Reply Quote
My wife has a Fitbit Charge that she doesn't love. She complains that it's hard to put on and its syncing is inconsistent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login