Spork Boards

Just Health

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – January 30, 2009 06:15AM Reply Quote
Just health.

John Willoughby – November 03, 2015 04:27PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Oh, that sucks. Sorry, Tony.

bahamut – November 03, 2015 04:46PM Reply Quote
Oh wow, I had one of those (didn't realize that's what it was) six months ago. I thought it was a bruise or something, but it was so damn round and protruding, right on my hand. It formed fast, while I was overseas having lunch with colleagues.

It went away fairly rapidly.

Roger – November 03, 2015 07:49PM Reply Quote
I've had those a lot of times. For me they've always gone away on their own without treatment (in months, sometimes even more than a year). Sadly I agree that trying to keep the wrist flat is a good idea. I believe you can have a doctor drain it if it gets very uncomfortable but thankfully I've never had to investigate that.

John Willoughby – December 14, 2015 09:16AM Reply Quote
So... hypotension. Low blood pressure. I get it in spikes, about a minute coming on, then twenty minutes of literally wondering if I'm going to live and feeling like I'd rather not, and then about five minutes clearing up. After which, I feel fine. I hadn't had an episode in a decade or so. (The Janet Jackson nip-slip SuperBowl, nip not related.) I was hoping I'd aged out of it. The power of magical thinking cures all ills. Sadly, I wasn't magical enough and it hit me in a deli with my daughter yesterday. I almost blacked out and ended up lying on the floor for a while, my daughter trying to render aid. Amusingly, none of the other customers or any employee paid any attention. Except for one employee, near the end, who managed a "You okay?" I didn't actually want their assistance, since they would have had to call an ambulance and I knew that I would be dead or better in 20 minutes, but it surprised me. They know me pretty well there.

Anyway, it occurred to me later in the day that my Apple Watch might have captured the incident. It did, in a way. I have heartbeat rates from about the beginning, during and just after the episode. 61, 73, and 81 bpm, respectively. 61 was my low for the day, but I have been that low or lower on other days without a problem. Still, it's more data than I've ever had for something like this in the past, and I will take it to my doctor.

Bruce Robertson – December 14, 2015 01:13PM Reply Quote
42 is generally my low for the day. Most always under 50. If I'm exercising, gets up to 80. Or a bit over 100 sometimes.

Jeff Cooper – December 14, 2015 03:13PM Reply Quote
Geez, JW, sounds scary. Glad you're okay, and hope it goes away again for awhile.

Bruce, those are some fairly astounding (low) numbers.

bahamut – December 14, 2015 04:59PM Reply Quote
scary jw!!

My low is around 60 but can go down to 40 on occasion. I can hit up to the 170s during hard, hard exercise. Today was a hard day of exercise but not hard hard so I only hit 131.

All this would be good except I still have high blood pressure, but the meds take care of it well.

ARL (Moderator) – December 15, 2015 04:06PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I apparently set the record at a Sydney hospital (RNSH to be precise) for lowest sustained BP (70/30 and then too low to read) and pulse (under 30) and still be living to tell the tale.

This was after being overdosed on baclofen. I was like that for nearly a day. Good times.

[edit] Forgot to add - feel better soon JW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 06:17PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – December 16, 2015 06:37AM Reply Quote
Thanks, ARL. I'm getting a monitoring harness that I will have to wear for a couple of days. Given that the next episode may be another decade in the future, I am not confident that it will catch anything. They're also upping my blood pressure medicine. It bothers me that every time I get a low blood pressure spike, I get medication to lower blood pressure.

ARL (Moderator) – January 03, 2016 08:54PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Happy new year to me!

UTI and Cellulitis. The former seems to be responding well to antibiotics but the latter is not.

My right hand is the size of a football (well, not quite) and hurts like hell.

FML

Mokers (Moderator) – January 04, 2016 05:49AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
That is the beer/spirits hand, no?

ARL (Moderator) – January 05, 2016 02:02AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Sadly yes. 5 days sober now. When will this nightmare end?

ARL (Moderator) – January 07, 2016 03:17PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
The nightmare continues. Will probably be in hospital Monday for IV antibiotics.

FML

johnny k – January 07, 2016 04:22PM Reply Quote
Not fun—hope you get over it soon. How'd your hand get infected, if you don't mind me asking? Is Siri dictation working for you? Having just come back to Apple for mobile, I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it is now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 04:22PM by johnny k.

John Willoughby – January 08, 2016 09:19AM Reply Quote
Following my low blood pressure spike in December, I went to my doctor. Or, rather, the doctor who could see me because mine is booked through February. They're going to fit me with a heart monitor, but can't for a while because I am travelling. They imaged my carotids to make sure that there were no blockages, and there weren't. They did find a couple of 1cm tumors on my thyroid, though, and I need a biopsy. This also has to be put off because of my travelling. I will see my regular doctor in late February, and an endocrinolgist in May (!).

Nothing worth panicking over, but more deferred medical issues than I would like to carry (May?!). I'm hoping that the thyroid thing might be related to my lizardification (currently in abeyance), low energy and/or recent weight gain. I have a feeling that that last one is on me, though.

John Willoughby – January 08, 2016 09:20AM Reply Quote
Tony, sorry the enforced sobriety continues. I hope that the antibiotics will do their job promptly.

dharlow – January 08, 2016 03:22PM Reply Quote
If at all possible try to squeeze in those tests vs putting them off.

John Willoughby – January 08, 2016 06:01PM Reply Quote
Good advice, but hard to do!

bahamut – January 10, 2016 07:12PM Reply Quote
Good luck Tony and JW!

I was kicking ass last week. Went from 199.5 to 192.5 lbs. by eating more carefully, exercising an hour a day (minimum). Had a medium sized dinner last night (nothing out of the ordinary, no booze this week either). This morning woke up to be back at 199.5. I can tell it's water retention in part, but what? Why? Don't get it. Disheartening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 07:12PM by bahamut.

ARL (Moderator) – January 10, 2016 07:17PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, I avoided IV antibiotics (so far) thank god. Cellulitis (the red angry blotchiness) seems to have gone but I have a hard lump the size of a flattened large egg on the back of my hand. Slightly warm/hot to touch (and painful if I overuse or flex my wrist).

Had an ultrasound today (bulk billed, thank you medicare) and it's apparently not a mega ganglion like I expected (my alternate theory was a mini-Alien "hand burster") but just a big build up of goo or fluid that can't be drained. I thought that was the better option until the ultrasound guy said no, it wasn't - it's decidedly weird. At least there's no broken bone which was my alternate, alternate theory.

Still, at least I'm able to get out of bed now and fumble with my left (decidedly non-dextrous) hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 07:18PM by ARL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login