Spork Boards

Just Health

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – January 30, 2009 06:15AM Reply Quote
Just health.

johnny k – February 12, 2009 04:34PM Reply Quote
Way to eat, Bill!

tliet – February 12, 2009 11:06PM Reply Quote
Very good news indeed Bill, keep us posted!

ddt – February 13, 2009 05:53AM Reply Quote
you go, bill!

ddt

El Jeffe – February 27, 2009 04:59PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I keep improving, feeling a bit better day by day on average. Still have hours of BLAH and such. But Two days ago was really good, and today was very good. Yesterday, not so much. But that is a good average in my book.

Eating bananas before and after whatever I have for 'meals' seems to help a LOT. Might NOT next week. But this week, pretty good.

I've gained another 3 pounds, over my last peak weight.

My biggest problem is I changed two variables at the same time, but that was out of my control. I got taken off of the IV feeding, which I was planning. I would have liked to see what that did for me for at least a week before making other changes. But my endocrinologist visit revealed I was going hypERthyroid again. And as such I needed to dial down my artificial thyroid hormones. That involved switching formulas, too. From natural (pig) thyroid to synthetic. Three pills a day instead of two. Well, that's a big change in and of itself. Top that with the feeding tube coming out and I'm not sure which new symptoms are caused by which change. But overall, not too many adverse symptoms. I thought I was going hypER again, since I noticed a lot more hair falling out; that's a symptom. But, and I'm not joking, I have a lot of hair and even an increase in it falling out is not noticeable to anyone but me. Eyebrows, yes. Top of head, not so much. Why it can't fall out of my nose and ears is beyond me. :)

My wife and I have not known a greater "sigh of relief" than the last two weeks. It's like a veil was lifted and I 'am back'; to normal-seeming that is. Getting out a lot, eating better, not tethered to bed/IV-food. The feeling of the biggest worry and burden lifted off our chests is amazing. It's been an emotional week of feeling like the light at the end of the tunnel has been reached.

Thanks for listening to my gripes, worries, and such during this time. You guys have been a valuable sounding board for this wild ride.

At a checkout today I asked the guy ringing me up if he ever had heartburn, and I launched into the "do yourself a favor and get scoped" speech. He was visibly shaken to some degree. Said he'd never heard of cancer like that from heartburn/acid reflux. I told him my story and he seemed to take something away from it. That's what I'll do for ever, now. When the opportunity presents itself, in a mature and caring manner, I will hopefully impart some words of wisdom and if I'm lucky, help someone avert what I went through. That would make my time worth it to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2009 04:59PM by El Jeffe.

tliet – February 27, 2009 05:05PM Reply Quote
Thanks for sharing this Bill, it's really encouraging to read that you're slowly healing!

ddt – February 27, 2009 09:03PM Reply Quote
get on it, old man!

ddt

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 28, 2009 12:57PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Let me know when I can buy my ringside seats for the knock down of DDT.

John Willoughby – March 06, 2009 05:59AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Out of the office today with... gout. Not even my fault; my diet's been pretty plain. Only had red meat once in the last week. But it's a listed side effect of my blood pressure medicine. Hurts like hell, for a minor ailment.

El Jeffe – March 06, 2009 06:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'm not even sure I know what gout is, though I've heard of it many times.
Good luck with it. Get well soon.

ddt – March 06, 2009 07:13AM Reply Quote
sorry to hear, jw. hope the kind's ailment comes with assorted kingly goodies.

also want to make a pitch for the UC Berkeley Wellness Letter (www.welnessletter.com). not flashy, but good science presented in common sense language. and a cheap subscription.

ddt

John Willoughby – March 06, 2009 08:20AM Reply Quote
I'm discontinuing the blood pressure medicine; I'd prefer the heart attack.

El Jeffe – March 06, 2009 08:22AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My b-i-l has had crappy side effects with BP meds.

Jeff Cooper – March 06, 2009 10:35AM Reply Quote
And I'm taking meds that cause, as a side effect, high blood pressure. Aren't pharmaceuticals fun?

Dr Phred (Moderator) – March 08, 2009 12:14PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
The flu has got me in it's grip. I'm semi-upright again, but no so much that I think it's a good idea. Got to love those fever dreams.

Ron Burns – March 09, 2009 12:49AM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
JW, there's quite an array of antihypertensives... don't give up, try another. I'm on a cocktail of three - no side-effects, BP 130/80. And I should still lose 30 pounds... :-(

stan adams – March 09, 2009 06:29AM Reply Quote
JW:

Stroke is a much more likely outcome of chronic high blood pressure amongst sedentary overweight white guys. No offense meant, as that describes me and most of the others on this board, as well as my (since deceased) dad. Stroke is almost unarguably a worse fate than heart attack -- lose of speach and mobility occurs with a terribly large percentage of strokes.

Get a better doctor and better meds.

SOON!

Seriously.

http://www.americanstroke.org/

John Willoughby – March 09, 2009 06:51AM Reply Quote
I'm actually going to start my meds again once the gout has completely passed. Almost gone today. Thanks for the concern, guys. I will see my doctor, or his designated-substitute-for-the-day ASAP.

El Jeffe – March 13, 2009 04:25PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Just found my misplaced Flip Video camera. Loaded with video taken of me in the hospital. I don't even remember some of the stuff I see in that video. Those narcs must really mess with the mind. It's hard to see some of that video. What a pain that was.

El Jeffe – March 16, 2009 03:52AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Ok. Every meal is making more sick than just two weeks ago. And I am not maintaining my weight. sigh.
I've already had some dry heaves with very little prompting this weekend. Feel like total crap at the moment from eating a small bowl of cereal.
I am SO READY to get over this crap.

John Willoughby – March 16, 2009 06:25AM Reply Quote
I'm sorry, Bill.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login