Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Getting Smart about OSX86

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 27, 2009 08:00AM Reply Quote
All about Leopard on non-apples.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 27, 2009 08:03AM Reply Quote
-Swine Flu free since...cough, cough...
My setup is a Dell XPS 410, 1.83GHz core 2 duo, ATI Radeon, 2600 pro, 2GB RAM, many many HDs. OS X 10.5.4. Kalyway.

I could never get it to work with the built-in gig ethernet. Added cheap PCI card and all is fine. Fast, relatively stable, but always nervous about updates.

John Willoughby – January 27, 2009 08:17AM Reply Quote
England expects that every man will do his duty. Ha-ha!
I've been thinking about updating my Aspire One to 10.5.6. The process I'd use includes the option of the "vanilla" kernel (with no hyperthreading on the computer's single processor, or the Voodoo kernel with hyperthreading). My thought is that by using Voodoo, I will probably break my install with any major system update (or minor one that touches the kernel). Vanilla ought to be more robust, but I am worried about responsiveness. (It's not like the Atom processor is exactly overpowered.) I would really love to be able to do Apple System Updates. Why won't Apple make me a netbook?

John Willoughby – January 27, 2009 08:17AM Reply Quote
Sorry for all the Aspire One spam on other threads, btw.

Cloudscout – January 27, 2009 08:56AM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.
Yeah, I don't understand their aversion to that segment. A reasonably equipped Netbook goes for about $379 right now. I have to believe that there is at least 10% margin in the current models. Apple could charge $499 and people wouldn't think twice about it. This would let them command a 30% margin. The only problem would be the potential for lower revenue... but I really think they'd be able to expand market share to make up for it.

John Willoughby – January 27, 2009 08:57AM Reply Quote
I think that they're probably worried that somebody will try to run Photoshop on one and complain at the performance, or cannibalize the MacBook.

stan adams – January 27, 2009 11:01AM Reply Quote
I think you are correct JW -- you would not believe how many people don't really grok parallels / VMWare Fusion, they think back to bad old emulation and that gives em the creeps. By only offering portables of sufficient potential to perform within acceptable range for ALL software Apple avoids that sort of stigma. It is a big deal.

I suspect that Apple would also make attempts to "keep the box closed" ala iPod and that would mean no standard USB, video or networking stuff (even more so than MBA) which would NOT fly with the current fans of netbooks...

Cloudscout – January 27, 2009 01:37PM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.
I'm about to begin the installation process... as soon as I find my external DVD ROM drive. I know it's around here somewhere...

Cloudscout – January 27, 2009 04:12PM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.
Took about 90 minutes to get everything set up but it worked quite well. I'm posting this from my AspireOne running 10.5.6.

John Willoughby – January 27, 2009 04:46PM Reply Quote
Grats! Does audio work with iChat?

Cloudscout – January 27, 2009 05:08PM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.
Hmm. Nope. Looks like that's still a problem. I might try it with an external Mic and see how that goes... I have a Griffin iMic which seems like a clumsy thing to have to haul around with me but it might be worthwhile.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 27, 2009 05:53PM Reply Quote
just updating to 10.5.6 so I can instal iLife 09 on the sucker.

Wish me luck.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 28, 2009 07:35AM Reply Quote
and Fail. I thought the new Voodoo kernal allowed updates, but I guess I'm wrong.

John Willoughby – January 28, 2009 07:54AM Reply Quote
Yeah. I was afraid that Voodoo meant no major Software Updates. Nuts.

Cloudscout – January 28, 2009 09:25AM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.
Yeah, I think you need to revert to the vanilla kernel before updating, then you can install the voodoo kernel again.

bahamut – January 29, 2009 04:24AM Reply Quote
Wait a second, I thought a couple of years ago people on these boards were adamant that 0SX86 was going to be quashed and never be more than a niche thing. Not that we aren't all geeks on this board, but it sounds like it's really spreading now.

John Willoughby – January 29, 2009 06:56AM Reply Quote
Yeah, but it's still a hobby. There's enough little gotchas that I don't think it's going mass market any time soon. CS and I use it to get Macs in a niche Apple doesn't choose to serve. Phred wants a user-friendly, high capacity, low-cost, expandable home server (guessing here), another niche Apple doesn't serve. Do any of us use a Hackintosh as our "main" computer; the one for serious work (or play)?

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 29, 2009 02:43PM Reply Quote
Yep, that's what I was looking for. And something new to play with. I like building systems.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 30, 2009 09:24AM Reply Quote
Cloudscout
Yeah, I think you need to revert to the vanilla kernel before updating, then you can install the voodoo kernel again.

If you could point me to directions for the slightly stupid, I would be grateful.

El Jeffe – January 30, 2009 10:50AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
$177 laptops (sure, NETbooks) sure make it seem like Apple is missing something. I know, I know... no profit in them. But mindshare surely.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5142877/dealzmodo-refurbed-4gb-dell-inspiron-mini-9-177

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login