Spork Boards

WWDC

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:38PM Reply Quote
A thread for the World Wide Developer's Conference.

Mokers (Moderator) – June 09, 2009 10:35AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
ddt
now that the video stream is up, what do network people think of the exchange support? that got a lot of applause.

ddt

The fusion people might not like it. I ran VMware mainly because the exchange support on OS X was lacking in a lot of the calendaring/address book/messaging features.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 10:36AM by Mokers.

Cloudscout – June 09, 2009 01:37PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Exchange support is for Exchange 2007 only. Most companies are still using Exchange 2003 right now.

bahamut – June 09, 2009 05:13PM Reply Quote
Oh and we have "put back" back. Nifty.

Simon – June 15, 2009 05:33AM Reply Quote
you mean out away? I liked that feature.

El Jeffe – June 15, 2009 05:59AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
You mean PUT away? :)

Simon – June 16, 2009 05:53AM Reply Quote
um, yeah. put away.

bahamut – June 16, 2009 08:16PM Reply Quote
um, yeah. put away.

John Willoughby – April 28, 2010 09:51AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Mac OS really de-emphasized at this years WWDC... no Apple Design awards for Mac apps. Just iPhones and iPads. I wonder if Jobs has finally achieved the computing experience that he's been striving for and wants to leave the "base stage" behind? Transition XCode to Ubuntu and Windows 7 and let the PC market go...

More likely, Apple just doesn't have Mac OS X 10.7 ready to show (as has been rumored) and is shining the spotlight on their other achievements. But I've been thinking for a while now that desktop OS's are nearly complete as far as features go. Nothing more to say until lightning strikes and some new path of innovation opens up.

porruka (Admin) – April 28, 2010 11:07AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
After the change in the developer programs, this should come as a surprise to no one. While I'm a bit disappointed about the Mac apps not even being eligible for Design Awards, WWDC (despite the name) has always been about evangelism and marketing; the only difference from "typical" marketing is who the target is.

Let's face it: the desktop *is* stable. There have been some radical changes in the last couple of years (64-bit, GCD, OpenCL) and unlike some other companies that continue to add bloat for the sake of making the bullet item quota year after year, Apple is not doing that. The desktop market doesn't really need evangelizing to developers anymore -- it's not going to make a dramatic difference. That, and it's going to take a while longer for the benefits of these recent additions to ripple through to the target users.

Steve is doing (almost) just what he said he would: Milk the Mac for everything he can while he finds the next big thing. The Mac won't go away anytime soon not just because of the pantsload of real profit dollars it brings in, but because it is the development platform for the iDevices.

I also suspect this played a role in the elimination of the dev hardware program because of the expected influx of new devs will continue to pile cash upon cash for Apple during the base platform purchases.

So yep, nothing to see here (although that's probably not technically true).

John Willoughby – April 28, 2010 11:13AM Reply Quote
Oh, is the dev hardware program gone? I didn't realize; I slipped down to the basic level program a couple of years back. I was tired of always going to the back of the line when I ordered hardware using my dev discount.

porruka (Admin) – April 28, 2010 11:14AM Reply Quote
It's gone as of the expiration of any memberships that still have it. The $99 does not have any (announced) replacement.

stan adams – April 28, 2010 12:47PM Reply Quote
I think you guys are a little nuts. I mean sure the "paradigm is shifting" but it is certainly NOT like the Earth has stopped spinning and the only thing that the future holds for developers on full blow computers is senility.

I have LONG argued that for "business intensive" computing tasks we have long passed the point where custom applications made sense -- the general sophistication and acceptance of the browser as a primary interface is perfectly acceptable for MOST task in a traditional "office worker" work flow. Yet there are MANY millions of people that have both white collar and blue collar employment where the kinds of things they need to do with computational support are wholly unsuited toward the limitations of a browser centric world.

And let me be clear, I have played with the iPad long enough to say "its a really browser centric experience even with apps that do not have a browser interface", by which I mean it is VERY DIFFERENT than a device that has a file centric of truly "generic app" centric focus.

File centric computers mainly fall into the Windows world in my mind. App centric stuff might be like GNU-based apps.

The potential needs / uses of general purpose personal computers will never really go away...

porruka (Admin) – April 28, 2010 02:07PM Reply Quote
Stan,

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you (95%). What I'm saying is that for Apple (and if Apple has its way, the market overall) we're old news. It's not going to dump us in terms of no new machines or whatever, but the discussion has changed. Would it be fair to say that Apple doesn't want you developing desktop apps? Partially, actually, IMO. But that doesn't mean it's going to get in your way or prevent you from doing so, it's just going to put its energy into growing the new ecosystem. On the whole, it's a good thing, because Apple doesn't feel the need to evangelize to us anymore. The Mac desktop ecosystem is strong enough to stand on its own is how I'm reading this one.

stan adams – April 29, 2010 05:55AM Reply Quote
Sorta -- "strong enough to stand on its own" better not be short hand for "we ain't going to do anything to support the big ass track pads, killer video cards, extended Core i5/i7 processing modes etc " or else developers will leave..

http://features.techworld.com/personal-tech/3201345/intels-new-core-i7-and-core-i5-processors-explained/

Intel also keeping all their options open in the HW world:
http://download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/embedded/pdfs/Corei5_QM57_developmentkit.pdf

Very much a "plays well with other" mindset that would seem to say to HW guys "any OS you want is what we want"...

porruka (Admin) – April 29, 2010 07:12AM Reply Quote
stan adams
Sorta -- "strong enough to stand on its own" better not be short hand for "we ain't going to do anything to support the big ass track pads, killer video cards, extended Core i5/i7 processing modes etc " or else developers will leave..

My opinion is that these sorts of cool things are going to happen but it will be like many of the hardware refreshes have been: under the "public" radar. The releases will happen, the tech will be adanced in all sorts of cool ways, but we as geeks are going to have to get used to the fact that we're not going to have the spotlight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2010 07:13AM by porruka.

Roger – April 29, 2010 09:48AM Reply Quote
The potential needs / uses of general purpose personal computers will never really go away

The long-term outlook seems less like obsolescence and more like shrinking user-share for the general-purpose OS as opposed to the consumer-device one: Mac vs. iPad is not like DOS vs. Windows or whatever other product-replacement transition, but like the last fifteen years of desktop vs. laptop, where the less powerful, more convenient and personal device gradually wins out in the bulk of cases where leading-edge hardware performance isn't key, while a rump of hardcore "workstation" users and use-cases will always remain.

John Willoughby – April 29, 2010 11:30AM Reply Quote
Yeah, I'm a hardcore rump.

Cloudscout – June 07, 2010 06:35AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
So what will we see today?

iPhone HD
iPod Touch HD
Safari 5
XCode 4
Multitouch Trackpad for Desktops

Anything else?

Mokers (Moderator) – June 07, 2010 06:51AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Rumors of a free version of me.com

johnny k – June 07, 2010 07:11AM Reply Quote
Mac Pro refresh.
27" Cinema Display.
MacBook Air update (personally doubtful of this).

Apple has so far saved the matching iPod Touch for a fall event.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login