Spork Boards

WWDC

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:38PM Reply Quote
A thread for the World Wide Developer's Conference.

John Willoughby – June 08, 2009 12:10PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Remember last time, Apple extended its exclusivity agreement with AT&T to secure the subsidized prices for 1G users, even though they had a year left on their contracts? I guess that Apple wanted to get free of AT&T too much to do that this time. No tethering, late-MMSing, money-grubbing bastards.

John Willoughby – June 08, 2009 12:27PM Reply Quote

bahamut – June 08, 2009 12:34PM Reply Quote
I may qualify for an upgrade on 7/28, it sez.

John Willoughby – June 08, 2009 01:17PM Reply Quote
Where did you see that? I talked to a rep, who told me I'd be eligible in December. I don't see how that makes sense for a two year contract.

John Willoughby – June 08, 2009 01:24PM Reply Quote
Ah. For some reason, Apple is posting the "no commitment" prices. Gizmodo says that AT&T will let 3G users have the 3GeeSus for $500. Still a lot, but $200 cheaper.

bahamut – June 08, 2009 03:10PM Reply Quote
JW, I saw it when i plugged in my numbers.

ARL (Moderator) – June 08, 2009 03:53PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I like that they've backpedalled about firewire.

tliet – June 08, 2009 08:45PM Reply Quote
Ah, OK. So that's why the 13" is called Macbook Pro... On the other hand, I was just thinking about the new SDcard slot. The latest cameras basically have made firewire completely redudant, pop the SD card in the slot and transferring video goes a few times faster than with FireWire.

tomierna (Admin) – June 08, 2009 09:25PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
This kind-of pisses me off - SD is more consumer, where CF is more professional...

However, there are a couple of SD->CF devices. If speed is good, I will have fewer complaints.

tliet – June 08, 2009 11:15PM Reply Quote
I've noticed that the prosumer cameras are slowly migrating towards SDHC, EOS 450 is an example. Most consumer camcorders these days have SDHC cards as storage, but the Macbook Pro 13" has a FireWire 800 interface anyway.

bahamut – June 09, 2009 01:54AM Reply Quote
i like SDHC, but i think that losing expresscard is dumb. why, apple thought police, why, why why is it crimethink to want more input ports?

stan adams – June 09, 2009 04:13AM Reply Quote
It seems that they do think these changes through -- I would like to have an ExpressCard slot for a cellular modem, but the VAST MAJORITY of such devices are USB.

The thing about that is NOT that there is much speed difference, but the packing is far better -- try slinging around ANY laptop with a stupid modem extending out of its USB slot and be prepared for MAJOR damage.

Apparently the modem that are of the ExpressCard form factor give the design engineers fits too -- much harder to deal with heat and RF issues.

Sad. Seems like a real step backwards.

johnny k – June 09, 2009 04:22AM Reply Quote
Grand Central's done. So when does the other shoe drop? Are we going to see crazy 17 1/3-core Mac Pros upon Snow Leopard's release in the fall? Apple will want to press the advantage and show why this "boring" OS update was really done.

Any rumors as to when Apple's pro apps are being updated for 10.6? I suppose it will only excite video/graphics pros at first. But what killer consumer apps could come out of this?

Bruce Robertson – June 09, 2009 04:49AM Reply Quote
Saw an interesting tweet suggesting that maybe the not-so-many-changes design of Snow Leopard is preparation for marketing it in the PC universe.

ddt – June 09, 2009 06:02AM Reply Quote
now that the video stream is up, what do network people think of the exchange support? that got a lot of applause.

ddt

El Jeffe – June 09, 2009 06:03AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have no use for it.

stan adams – June 09, 2009 06:07AM Reply Quote
Bruce Robertson
Saw an interesting tweet suggesting that maybe the not-so-many-changes design of Snow Leopard is preparation for marketing it in the PC universe.

That would make the MSFT campaign of "macs are expensive machines that are more about stylish design instead valuable function" highly prescient. On that reason alone (that MSFT could actually be a prescient marketer...) the suggestion is utter rubbish.

I imageine there are enter floors at Redmond that have meeting rooms literally painted with these phrases:

"...the major inhibition to marketing prescience is the closed mind, the mind that says, “We have tried that before” or “It cannot work” or “It's a stupid idea.”

http://www.emeraldinsight.com/Insight/viewContentItem.do;jsessionid=7BFBDDD903E971D069DF5295FFF6DF08?contentType=Article&hdAction=lnkpdf&contentId=1648635

Bruce Robertson – June 09, 2009 07:25AM Reply Quote
Isn't there a phrase something like never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance?

John Willoughby – June 09, 2009 08:34AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – June 09, 2009 09:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
good
now, let's work on keystroke buffering.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login