Spork Boards

WWDC

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:38PM Reply Quote
A thread for the World Wide Developer's Conference.

ghidorah – September 07, 2016 10:33AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Still not sure why I need that much computing power in my phone. Gimme a damn watch-phone and tethering for my pad. If you must, wow me with the graphics power of a new iPad.

Roger – September 07, 2016 10:36AM Reply Quote
johnny k
What features did you want, Roger?

I'll take anything at this point! Apart I guess from the waterproofing — which is real, and good — it's pretty much just incremental improvement across the board. There's no compelling new thing that either the phones or the watches will do, no meaningful new use-case or functionality.

James DeBenedetti – September 07, 2016 11:32AM Reply Quote
ghidorah
Gimme a damn watch-phone and tethering for my pad. If you must, wow me with the graphics power of a new iPad.

That's what I've wanted since the watch was first released. Waterproofing is nice though, since swimming is the only exercise I can tolerate for any length of time. The phone's performance boost is promising news for the next iPad, and black phones give me hope for black MBPs next month. In all, better news than I expected.

John Willoughby – September 07, 2016 02:19PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I'll probably get a new watch. I won't be getting the new phone.

ARL (Moderator) – September 07, 2016 02:53PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Slightly off topic question, why is the graphics performance so much better in the iOS universe compared to MacOS?

Roger – September 07, 2016 03:46PM Reply Quote
I'd guess it's just because Apple controls/designs more of the silicon. They've been hobbled on the per-watt portable performance by these shitty Intel laptop graphics chips for years now (and they just don't seem to care about pushing desktop performance at all).

Roger – September 07, 2016 04:15PM Reply Quote
But yeah, the stagnating performance on the Mac side is starting to seem reminiscent of the later days of the PowerPC era. It may actually be time to consider some kind of platform transition or at least spending more effort on in-house chip designs for the Mac; I'm hoping it hasn't just been forgotten or given up on entirely.

bahamut – September 07, 2016 04:45PM Reply Quote
But roger, just what the fuck are they spending their time on? I don't understand...

ARL (Moderator) – September 07, 2016 04:49PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Watching the keynote video as I have no life and I'm a glutton for punishment...

1. Ugh. They need to stop this gimmicky celebrity circle-jerkoff routine during keynotes...

2. Can't believe they advertised the "17 million Apple music subscribers" (I'm assuming that's worldwide). Epic fail.

3. The App store growth numbers actually surprised me on the upside

4. Gaming. Must. Control. Rage. About. MBP.

5. Mario. A retro 2D scroller is news? Meh. (I'll play it on the iPad I guess)

6. blah iWork blah...

7. Apple Watch. The twisty dial thing on the side means I can't use it. I think.

8. Oh, and more Pokemon Go. Just what the world needs...

9. Yep. I certainly feel like a wild snorlax right now...

10. Waterproof. About time. This should have been a version 1.0 feature.

11. Night Sky looks cool though

12. GPS. See point #10

13. Virtual hiking. Good god, can I fast forward?

14. New straps? FFS who cares?

15. Nike yawn...

16. Oh Good God, still going? Get off, Nike guy...

17. iPhone yay. Time to kvetch!

18. The "wake on lift" feature seems a terrible idea.

19. Okay, that camera on the iPhone7 is just asking to get scratched. Fucking ugly too.

20. Jony Ive - Good god that was a wankfest. Starting to think he's a liability.

21. Wondering about the accessibility implications of the new home button

22. Schiller-mania! First speaker that seems at ease.

23. Water resistant? Not water proof? Not good enough.

24. Apparently the camera sucks less now

25. Re #24. Wondering if the iPhone7 (not iPhone7+) has crappy zoom as a tradeoff for the new camera?

26. Ah, Audio. Kvetch time!

27. EarPods - farewell audio jack.

28. Some Orwellian "Audio Jack bad! Lightning good!" nonsense

29. Aw, they give us an adaptor like they're doing us a favour...

30. "Space is at a premiuim?!?" Fuck you, Apple...

31. Wireless earbuds. What would help prevent losing small things like that? Oh, I know, a FUCKING CABLE!

32. More Jony Ive wankery... Only 5 hours of play per earbud charge?!? Oh FFS...

33. Here comes the Beats merchandising... KaChing$$$

34. Apple Pay. Must. Control. Rage. About. Australian. Banks.

35. Be interested to see theses new chips in the next iPad. (Surely they must be working on an Intel to ARM rosetta?)

36. Flying monkeys seemed fitting here...

37. Yeah, and my MBP battery life was meant to be awesome too.

38. God this is a long keynote...

39. Finally got rid of the 16GB nonsense...

40. Shipping Sept 61st er 16th

42. Holy fuck those wireless earbuds are $$$

43. All right I think I'm at the end now. Tim Cook's on stage again mopping up with some tissues...

44. Off the rails Apple, off the rails...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2016 04:53PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – September 07, 2016 05:11PM Reply Quote
Did they mention anything about how you're supposed to charge your phone while listening with Lightning headphones? Because that is literally a deal breaker for me. I won't go Android or anything, but I'll stay on the 6s until the stars die if I have to.

ARL (Moderator) – September 07, 2016 06:34PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
Did they mention anything about how you're supposed to charge your phone while listening with Lightning headphones? Because that is literally a deal breaker for me. I won't go Android or anything, but I'll stay on the 6s until the stars die if I have to.

Silly-billy. That's what those $160 wireless headphones are for...

ghidorah – September 07, 2016 06:49PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
wondering when the Applempire might strike back, or is this a long slow slide into irrelevance?

John Willoughby – September 07, 2016 07:38PM Reply Quote
ARL
John Willoughby

Silly-billy. That's what those $160 wireless headphones are for...

With only five hours of listening time? Optimistically, I'm sure. I listen to my phone every day for eight to sixteen hours (depending on how vicious work is). I need to charge while listening.

johnny k – September 07, 2016 08:11PM Reply Quote
So get one of the many other wireless headphones that have longer listening times, like the new Beats Solo they introduced at the same time that has 24 hours of life. Or wait for the myriad of splitter dongles.

ARL (Moderator) – September 07, 2016 08:23PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Or wait for the myriad of splitter dongles.

Or Apple could have not been arseholes and supplied a splitter as standard rather than forcing a large group of users (I imagine there's many people in JW's situation) to shell $ on third party solutions.

Apple created this problem, they should fix it.

Roger – September 07, 2016 08:42PM Reply Quote
bahamut
But roger, just what the fuck are they spending their time on? I don't understand...

Fuck if I know! Cars? I mean they're still doing a good job on the supply chain, the custom silicon, the manufacturing… they may just have reached the end of all the phone R&D they have in the pipeline before the phone/watch convergence and whatever other big projects (home? TV?) they're working on hit in a year or two. Sure looks bad right now.

El Jeffe – September 08, 2016 12:12AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Schiller was very regimented, time concerned and even downright going too fast through his presentation, imo.
Apple looks old.

John Willoughby – June 03, 2017 12:23PM Reply Quote
WWDC starting this Monday. Anybody think that the new file system will be ready for the next macOS?

ddt – June 03, 2017 04:29PM Reply Quote
*ding*

ddt

ddt – June 05, 2017 07:52AM Reply Quote
Where are you watching WWDC or which liveblog are you following?

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login