Spork Boards

WWDC

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:38PM Reply Quote
A thread for the World Wide Developer's Conference.

ddt – June 13, 2016 09:20AM Reply Quote
Nice to see the first tab being, you know, the music you liked enough to buy and keep on your phone. That might correlate well to users wanting to access that stuff first.

ddt

ddt – June 13, 2016 09:22AM Reply Quote
On a work call so can't watch (checking in w/ Ars liveblog) -- so HomeKit's Scenes is basically a set of user-defined rules?

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – June 13, 2016 09:23AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Did he just throw away that iTunes would be on Android now?

John Willoughby – June 13, 2016 09:23AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
ddt
On a work call so can't watch (checking in w/ Ars liveblog) -- so HomeKit's Scenes is basically a set of user-defined rules?

ddt

Seems like setting up a set of actions to be applied with one touch.

John Willoughby – June 13, 2016 09:25AM Reply Quote
They DO realize that by putting all this stuff on the lock screen means that anybody who gets the phone has access to all of this? It feels like I'll have to disable all of the cool features.

Roger – June 13, 2016 09:28AM Reply Quote
"Someone in marketing thought that's what you see when you look into your camera" — jesus, dude, change the image before the presentation if you don't like it, you're making fun of yourself. Perhaps the most anti-Jobsian on-stage moment since the Amelio age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 09:29AM by Roger.

Roger – June 13, 2016 09:30AM Reply Quote
oh good, more chat animations. this is definitely what we were waiting for

John Willoughby – June 13, 2016 09:30AM Reply Quote
It was a deliberate joke, I'm sure.

Jeff Cooper – June 13, 2016 09:31AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
They DO realize that by putting all this stuff on the lock screen means that anybody who gets the phone has access to all of this? It feels like I'll have to disable all of the cool features.

Was wondering about this. Need to see how it's actually implemented.

John Willoughby – June 13, 2016 09:31AM Reply Quote
Apple still has an interface design team? Where have they been? Didn't they all commit ritual suicide after the first Apple Music interface came out?

Roger – June 13, 2016 09:32AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
It was a deliberate joke, I'm sure.

Even worse if so

johnny k – June 13, 2016 09:37AM Reply Quote
I loved the marketing put-down. Human, plays well with the nerd crowd. Craig really is the best presenter, and that's not a bad thing.

HomeKit already had scenes. What's new is that, unbelievably, Apple made an app to front the SDK instead of hoping users would find third party apps. Unfortunately, looks like this is going to be another useless icon taking up space for most people, unless they're going to let us hide built-in apps now.

Wow, Messages really is a platform now. That's why it's on Android now.

Jeff Cooper – June 13, 2016 09:38AM Reply Quote
Get back to me when we're done with Messages. Yeesh.

Roger – June 13, 2016 09:41AM Reply Quote
Even more horrible animations! It will never end

ddt – June 13, 2016 09:45AM Reply Quote
I have no connected items in my apartment, but it seems two things about HomeKit. On the one hand, it could be seen as Apple bigfooting over small companies w/ smart devices. On the other hand, having one iOS-centered, uh, center for all that might make it easier or even possible for the average person to coordinate things like "I get home around 7pm, so let's set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature, pre-heat the over because I like to bake as soon as I walk in the door, turn on the front porch light"?

ddt

John Willoughby – June 13, 2016 09:46AM Reply Quote
It would be really funny to send your heartbeat to somebody, stop it abruptly, and then send the emergency contact "health emergency" message.

ddt – June 13, 2016 09:47AM Reply Quote
Did they say what devices are and aren't supported in the dev preview of iOS 10? Anyone downloading it? I would think about trying it on my iPad 3 but not my only, everyday phone.

ddt

Roger – June 13, 2016 09:48AM Reply Quote
ddt
On the one hand, it could be seen as Apple bigfooting over small companies w/ smart devices.

I mean, if it integrates them well it'll sell a shit-ton of smart devices, if I were selling Bluetooth garden sprinklers or whatever I'd be going nuts for them to develop it more.

ddt – June 13, 2016 09:49AM Reply Quote
Ha -- kind of love the idea of geofenced sprinklers, so they're smart enough not to go on while you're lying on the grass WITH YOUR PHONE.

ddt

John Willoughby – June 13, 2016 09:51AM Reply Quote
Or that they DO go on when that annoying neighbor kid walks on your lawn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login