Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

WWDC

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:38PM Reply Quote
A thread for the World Wide Developer's Conference.

El Jeffe – June 05, 2017 04:40PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have not read any above comments.
I just watched the keynote.
I am very excited about what they showed. Maybe I'm in the right mood. But I did not see anything that I thought was bad/lame or anything.
Need to set back about $7,000 for stuff I saw I want.

bahamut – June 05, 2017 05:14PM Reply Quote
I spent $5500+ today.

New flagship MacBook Pro, new 10" iPad Pro.

ddt – June 05, 2017 05:19PM Reply Quote
If I could afford it, I'd love the smaller iPad Pro and Pencil. Though I have to say that the new basic iPad, which I splurged on, is so much better than the iPad 3 I was using.

ddt

bahamut – June 05, 2017 06:02PM Reply Quote
I have the 12" but

1. It's not under AppleCare plus (Accidentally) and thus a disaster in the making
2. Not popular enough thus not enough accessories. I want a better keyboard.... Logitech's is ass, apples is meh.

ARL (Moderator) – June 05, 2017 07:50PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
ddt
If I could afford it, I'd love the smaller iPad Pro and Pencil. Though I have to say that the new basic iPad, which I splurged on, is so much better than the iPad 3 I was using.

I hear ya, ddt. It's nice to see apps load in seconds rather than minutes.

johnny k
The multitouch drag-n-drop UI is amazing. Maybe difficult, but interesting to finally see a Minority Report-like two-handed UI.

Yep, but it leaves the undextrous one-paw-only people like me screwed.

ARL (Moderator) – June 05, 2017 08:11PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

Of all the new goodies announced the one I'm most likely to get is the new rechargeable wireless extended keyboard.

Extended, wireless, rechargeable = winner winner, chicken dinner!

James DeBenedetti – June 05, 2017 09:37PM Reply Quote
johnny k
At least this Radeon Vega looks significantly beefier than the 1080, right?

Not really. You can buy a 1080 Ti right now with the same TFLOPS rating for $700. The iMac Pro won't be available for another six months - at a $5K starting point (probably a lot more for the top end GPU).

johnny k – June 06, 2017 08:07AM Reply Quote
ARL, I'd love to hear more about what does/doesn't work for you in the various UIs. Do you generally have Accessibility turned on? At least I assume Apple will have an alternative method to drag/drop.

ARL (Moderator) – June 06, 2017 01:48PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I'll try and put together some coherent thoughts.

There have been some great innovations in the last few years. But drawbacks too sadly...

bahamut – June 07, 2017 05:06AM Reply Quote
Why in heck didn't Apple support 802.11ad? I have gigabit Ethernet at home now. :/

El Jeffe – June 16, 2017 05:32AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Just getting around to listening to Gruber's podcast/interview with PS and CF.
https://daringfireball.net/thetalkshow/2017/06/08/ep-193
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcyaadNy9Jk

Taking notes/thoughts here:

Schiller said they target 2 hours for keynote BECAUSE concerns that maxes out people's bladders.
Q: What is your bladder routine? Some days I might actually FORGET to urinate. Others, there is an urge. That's just me. Not set pattern, but rarely go 'many' times a day. Not sure if that is something my surgery has changed in me.

High Sierra - do people REALLY think of the word high and immediately or EVER think of pot? Enough to have compunction to joke about it at every opportunity? Never crosses my mind.
CF "Snow Sierra".. now THAT I found geek-y/mac-y funny.
Then he said "Crack marketing" team... and again, people laugh. What is WITH people that they find that funny or even noteworthy BEYOND the obviously intended use of the English word crack/ed?

CF needs mic'd better.

CF seems truly geeky/fire in the belly for the Mac. GOOD!

CF "Tracking Industrial Complex" Funny stuff. (read "salesforce", in my book)

CF needs better seated posture. Not better hair.

Safari tracker limitation sounds GREAT. People hate trackers.

I've never heard/seen Gruber and he seems very everyman everyGEEK decent. (His creepy point) Also, nice hair.
[I saw his name on the Avis preferred customer placard as I WAITED THREE HOURS at SFO Avis for a car, though!) http://i.imgur.com/GHzfZMr.png

I guess what I'm saying is I must seem to think it's ok to compliment ANOTHER GUY on his hair... and that's about it. :)

CF "LOOK UP" sit UP!

Maybe his hair is weighting his head/shoulders down?

I like CF more so far watching this.

Does PS speak? I wonder what he's like in executive meetings, based on his lack of interaction so far....

CF "Many more megahertz in the box"

Being able to code for GPUs appearing and disappearing was new. That's a good point.

JG: F-bomb,S-bomb... sigh... few rungs down ladder now...

As show dragged on, got a bit slower, and more boring at this point. :)

iOS app store. games broken out from 'apps'. Games are very popular...
I have not played a game on iOS for year or so. that trivia one. And that is pretty much the only game I have (ever?) played. My in-laws I noticed most of their apps are games.

Courageous Fireball?

Could CF become CEO aka Phil's boss?

HomePod... I am excited for this. But not for music. I never listen to music, really.

guy near my desk has AirPods. they look odd.

I just need ONE. Can one buy one? Left ear deaf/no worky

CF looks like jared (silicon valley). :)

CF surprisingly few words about leaks.
that's it. I thought it would be better. But still interesting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login