Spork Boards

What sells computers most?

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – December 09, 2007 04:50PM Reply Quote
thats right--games.

El Jeffe – July 17, 2016 03:51AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
USA directives to intelligence
Sad commentary to remain in vehicle with doors locked. not necessary to enter REAL WORLD... LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 03:52AM by El Jeffe.

ddt – July 17, 2016 05:11AM Reply Quote
On ATP, they mentioned someone saw a "please do not walk into volcanos to try to find fire pokemon" warning.

ddt

El Jeffe – July 23, 2016 05:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've offered to take my teen Pokemon hunting.
We'll see how this goes.
Wish me luck.

ddt – July 23, 2016 06:02AM Reply Quote
May the Psyduck be always in your favor.

ddt

El Jeffe – July 23, 2016 08:19AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yep, she got one. I have no clue what that means. I CAN tell you THIS. First time I've driven around some newly-expanded cultural trail (read: Roads for non-car transportation) and I about hit two people because my brain has not been wired to see the 12 foot area where one/car would normally stop at the light is actually the non-car (feet/skateboards/bike, etc) lane. Seems like half the roads downtown (the up and coming areas) are now cultural trail enabled. Will be dining on same said road again in 3 hours. Dang it's HOT OUT TODAY!

ARL (Moderator) – August 08, 2016 07:35PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

ARL (Moderator) – August 08, 2016 07:59PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I was bored so on a whim I downloaded CSR racing off the app store to give it a spin.

Only got 2 minutes into the demo before the screaming CPU fans were louder than the game itself. Well over 80˚C

Sigh. This POS should come with a warning saying "danger do not play games'.

I don't get how they can advertise games performance as a feature:

Take your gaming to a whole new level. Millions of pixels give you gameplay with more detail and nuance than you thought possible. Even in the most intense action games, superfast processors and graphics give you amazing fluidity and smoothness. MacBook Pro with Retina display is so thin and light, you can play wherever you go. And with all the games available on the Mac App Store, you’ll have no trouble finding something to play

They've got benchmarks on the page. How the hell do they get anything to run for long enough without melting the logic board?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2016 08:00PM by ARL.

El Jeffe – August 09, 2016 12:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

John Willoughby – August 09, 2016 05:50AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
I think that Apple is pushing the whole Metal thing to try to compensate for the lack of power in their lineup. It is certainly better than nothing, but Windows has roughly comparable API's and much more powerful hardware to run on.

XBox One streaming (to Windows) has given me some hope. I know that the PS4 will stream to a Mac; maybe that's Apple's plan for high end gaming in the future. Not that it helps anybody with a busy wireless network, and it certainly won't help anybody travelling.

John Willoughby – August 16, 2016 08:10AM Reply Quote
I think that these are the chips that James was waiting for. Amazing. Good thing Apple's staying with AMD to avoid inflicting the shock of any kind of sudden change on its users.

ARL (Moderator) – August 16, 2016 07:23PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy the fast-paced action of 2048 (one of the few games that doesn't meltdown the logic board).

El Jeffe – August 17, 2016 01:15AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Uh, 2048 is the PINNACLE of my arcade nostalgia.

ddt – August 17, 2016 04:43AM Reply Quote
Looks like the gaming PC homage for people here (though it could be designed better): http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/hp-omen-x-cube-gaming-pc-price-details/

ddt

johnny k – August 17, 2016 09:40AM Reply Quote
It's not an homage unless it can burn. Plus I'll bet it has draft. The stand ruins the look.

John Willoughby – August 30, 2016 07:29AM Reply Quote
So my wife re-subscribed to WoW, and bought the expansion. Only to be told that it will no longer run on her machine (2009 MBP, so not a huge surprise). It would have been nice to have more attention drawn to the change in requirements, but not something I'm going to rant about. She should have checked in advance, and I should have checked in advance, knowing that she probably wouldn't.

What is surprising is that she asked for a Windows gaming laptop. She can't upgrade to a newer MBP, because she wants to keep her 3TB rotational drive. (She needs it... the woman has insane amounts of photos, video and music.) So, she too is moving to the Dark Side. Maybe I can get her back into Age of Conan and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

John Willoughby – August 30, 2016 07:35AM Reply Quote
By the way, she'll be getting the Wirecutter's recommended budget gaming laptop, the Dell Inspiron 15 7000, with a RAM and SSD upgrade. No Razer Blade for her.

As a caveat to potential Blade buyers: I've noticed that the trackpad on my Razer is insanely sensitive when I am typing... if my thumbs are anywhere near it, the cursor jumps to random location and my typing starts spewing its output into inappropriate locations in previously-typed text. This may have been the result of a driver update, I don't recall this problem when I first got the machine. I'm going to see if I can dial down the sensitivity in the settings or revert the driver.

John Willoughby – September 08, 2016 05:55AM Reply Quote
Anybody want to buy Earthworm Jim? Not the game, the IP. Interplay looks to be selling all of their video game assets. Maybe Neuromancer will finally make it to gog.com...

porruka (Admin) – September 08, 2016 06:27AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
Anybody want to buy Earthworm Jim? Not the game, the IP. Interplay looks to be selling all of their video game assets. Maybe Neuromancer will finally make it to gog.com...

Wish I had the cash (or knew where to get it). Nostalgia sells games right now...

bahamut – September 28, 2016 04:45PM Reply Quote
My 11 year old wants to play Overwatch. His 2008 aluminum Macbook isn't going to cut it and I'm not upgrading it as it's powerful enough and at that age, limits are important.

So we looked at what to do. A used xBox One would be cheap enough, around $130, but he suggested that we get an Alienware Alpha (Windows). We found this one.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/dell-refurbished-alienware-asm100-1580-core-i3-4130t-dual-core-2-9ghz-4gb-500gb-nvidia-gtx-2gb-gddr5-290279/

He can pay for it out of his own allowance ($11 a week is a half year) plus we'll probably pick up what's left from the tab at Christmas.

It is supposed to be capable of running Overwatch. Any other thoughts about it? Or alternatives? $400's got to be the limit.

John Willoughby – September 29, 2016 06:41AM Reply Quote
2GB graphics RAM seems skimpy. The graphics card isn't on the requirements page, though I don't know enough about nVidia's naming system to know if Maxwell falls into the "or better" range. This review makes it sound like it might be acceptable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login