Spork Boards

What sells computers most?

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – December 09, 2007 09:50PM Reply Quote
thats right--games.

John Willoughby – March 04, 2016 01:18PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Excellent!

johnny k – March 21, 2016 02:26PM Reply Quote
Anyone interested in Hyper Light Drifter? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter

Made me think of Zelda SNES mashed with manga, filtered through a CGA graphics card, so I backed it. After following their nearly 2-year-long dev process (complete with heart surgery), I want to throw them some more money - if you'd actually play this (pretty much every platform), I'll get an extra copy for you.

Cloudscout – March 21, 2016 02:28PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
That looks really awesome. I've come to the conclusion that I'm never going to have the time to play the stable of games I already have queued up, though.

johnny k – March 21, 2016 02:54PM Reply Quote
Yeah, same here. I pretty much only get games through Kickstarter, more to support the arts. So if the games never quite ship, that's okay with me.

John Willoughby – April 27, 2016 02:00PM Reply Quote
Crowd-funding for a book of Mac Gaming History. I don't know anything about the book, but looking around the industry I suspect it will be a post-mortem.

porruka (Admin) – April 27, 2016 03:42PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Speaking of crowdfunded games, former M.E. contributor Eliot Hochberg sent out a message on this today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70336739/ilios-the-battles-of-troy

ddt – May 13, 2016 09:21AM Reply Quote
Has anyone played the (free, fan-made) Portal 2 expansion, Portal Stories: Mel? I think one of the creators did a really well made film called "Meet the Cores".

ddt

James DeBenedetti – May 19, 2016 11:55AM Reply Quote
John, what do you think about the Razer Blade now that you've had it for several months?

John Willoughby – May 19, 2016 12:10PM Reply Quote
I like it a lot. Near-Mac level build quality (at least on the outside), plenty of RAM, and the 970M chip is SO far ahead of my previous graphics chips that everything seems smooth. A lot of older (and not-so-old) games have to run in lower resolution just to keep the UI legible/usable, but I can still play them at higher resolutions than my non-Retina MBP. The 512GB solid state drive is a little small, but not a major issue. The most modern game I've played is Far Cry: Primal, and it runs smoothly and without a hitch. The Blade does get hot, and when the fans ramp up they aren't quiet. I don't know that I'd call them noisy, but definitely noticeable in a room. Keyboard is adequate, but not great. I don't really use the trackpad much, but have not been overly impressed when I do. I DO like the two buttons on the trackpad, though. The black case of the Blade will show marks for every finger that was ever within 5 meters of the computer; skin oils collect on it extremely easily. The 14" screen is a fine size for me, but if you're coming from a larger computer it might be too small for you.

If I had to change it, I would give it a matte black case, and a better keyboard and trackpad. But none of these things are deal-breakers for me. I'm happy with the machine.

ARL (Moderator) – May 19, 2016 08:57PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
My next laptop will be a PC. This is good info.

(The only thing I wish Windows had was a decent Mac emulator)

ddt – May 19, 2016 10:45PM Reply Quote
Anyone playing Firewatch?

ddt

John Willoughby – May 19, 2016 10:57PM Reply Quote
I've heard a lot about it, but it feels like a game that will require steady play and attention to detail. I'm better at sporadic involvement with games that I can play while watching TV. Perhaps that's why my bid to be a chess grand master has stalled.

johnny k – May 19, 2016 11:02PM Reply Quote
John, try MiniMetro. It also scratches the nerd's itch to make a system. (Don't worry, no heavy thinking.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2016 11:02PM by johnny k.

John Willoughby – May 20, 2016 01:33AM Reply Quote
Johnny, just played it for an hour. That is one addictive game!

James DeBenedetti – May 20, 2016 03:48AM Reply Quote
I really like Dave Lee’s reviews. Examples:

Razer Blade
Mac Pro vs. PC

johnny k – May 20, 2016 09:38AM Reply Quote
JW, yeah - I'm glad it's not on iOS (yet). MiniMetro was the first time I tried this Steam-driven model of buying a game in beta and playing iterations along the way. Though in this case it wasn't on Steam at the time, barely an alpha. Unlike the AAA games, there's a lot of evolution in gameplay to see, which is neat.

John Willoughby – May 20, 2016 10:56AM Reply Quote
Dave Lee liked the Razer Blade keyboard a lot more than I do. I never use the touch screen feature, so I'd forgotten about it. He's right that the audio is good, for a laptop. I kind of object to the implication at the end, that laptops are for travelers.

Mokers (Moderator) – May 20, 2016 12:12PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I am still a big fan of console gaming, although with kids I can see why it would nice to have a laptop to play games now... Friend is selling a PS4 with 8 games and 2 controllers to me for $450 so finally uprgading my PS3...

John Willoughby – May 20, 2016 12:38PM Reply Quote
I'm waiting to see which console will first support Red Dead Redemption before I upgrade. (I know XBox One has leaked test versions of the game, and I am hoping that they will announce at E3.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login