Spork Boards

What sells computers most?

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – December 09, 2007 04:50PM Reply Quote
thats right--games.

Madaracs – February 06, 2009 05:37AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
...And she will weigh 9,000 lbs because "the wife" will never walk around anymore. "The husband" will also be fat as hell but his legs will look great. And he will end up being the Captain of a ship full of humans that had to escape the toxicity of Earth. His chair will look like the one posted Jan 13 above.

ddt – February 06, 2009 06:53AM Reply Quote
wow -- aside from the dated sex roles, and screens that look like microfiche displays, that wasn't a bad guess. online shopping, online banking, printers, email.

though one thing that strikes me was the assumption of passivity on the user's part. his budget is "available" -- quicken does require a little human work.

that reminds me... have to fire up moneydance and balance months of accounts to get tax info together.

ddt

Dave Loudin – February 06, 2009 07:27AM Reply Quote
Loved the central office switch. Patch panels rule.

tliet – February 06, 2009 10:50AM Reply Quote
Especially patch panels with huge honking headphone plugs.

John Willoughby – February 06, 2009 11:49AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
It's odd.. while I lust after old technology, I feel relatively little pull to the merely outdated. Maybe because I grew up with three-channel TV, rotary phones, and slide rules.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 11:50AM by John Willoughby.

Jeff Cooper – February 06, 2009 12:07PM Reply Quote
Ah, the slide rule. I think mine was the last 8th-grade science class that learned to use one (1977-78). By the time my sister took the class two years later, they'd stopped fighting the onslaught of calculators.

On the games front: I bought Lego Indiana Jones for my son last week and was astonished to note that our one-year-old iMac did not meet the recommended specs (it's only a 2 GHz processor; 2.2 GHz is recommended). It met the minimum requirements, and the game does play. But still. This isn't a cutting edge game--it's freaking Legos. We bought this iMac last year in part because Rattatouille wouldn't play on the 1.3 GHz iBook we were letting him use (not enough VRAM). Now the iMac's going to be unable to play new releases within six months? What sells computers most, indeed.

John Willoughby – February 06, 2009 12:10PM Reply Quote
Was that one of the games "ported" by using the TransGaming Cider technology? That might account for part of it.

El Jeffe – February 06, 2009 01:07PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Lego Indy plays fine on our Mac Mini 1.66

El Jeffe – February 06, 2009 01:28PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'm an idiot. We have it on the Wii.
Been a bad day for me in so many ways. This just seals it. Next, I'll find my IV (intravenous) food is tainted, and DIE TONIGHT.

John Willoughby – February 06, 2009 01:32PM Reply Quote
I'd rather you didn't.

Jeff Cooper – February 06, 2009 02:20PM Reply Quote
Yes, please don't.

Jeff Cooper – February 07, 2009 05:26AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Was that one of the games "ported" by using the TransGaming Cider technology? That might account for part of it.

I came across a post by a Feral Interactive employee insisting that it's not a Cider port. It's just a resource hog.

ARL (Moderator) – February 07, 2009 03:00PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Faster computers just mean sloppier coders...

El Jeffe – February 08, 2009 06:02AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I just found Counter Strike for Mac Intel that uses the Cider stuff. It played beautifully just now on my first use of it. Not bad for a Mac Mini 1.66 2GB. No issues at all. I've never played counter strike, but have been in some of the ported maps to other games/engines. It makes me smile. I'll have to play some more.

So, who is doing these Cider ports? Is it a collective or commercial effort? Or just hobbyists?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 06:04AM by El Jeffe.

John Willoughby – February 08, 2009 08:55AM Reply Quote
It's a commercial effort. They replicate the Win32 API on Mac. It's possible to take one Cider-ized app for the Mac, remove the game and put another one in there. They've been making changes to make that more difficult, and in any event there are lots of game-specific tweaks in a Cider package.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 11, 2009 09:19AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Yeah, someone showed me a Left 4 Dead homebrew port. It played on the Mac, but it was slow and had numerous graphics glitches.

John Willoughby – February 11, 2009 10:06AM Reply Quote
These are the officially Ciderized games. I've played Spore and EVE. They seemed adequate, without being impressive. On a 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro. (Speaking purely about graphics appearance and game responsiveness.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 10:07AM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – March 18, 2009 10:46AM Reply Quote
Germany wants World of Warcraft to be adult-only, in response to the shootings there. I'm sure this will cut down on cases of drive-by pyroblasts.

ARL (Moderator) – March 18, 2009 06:51PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
If it's just shootings they want to stop, why not just ban hunters from the game?

ddt – March 21, 2009 07:28AM Reply Quote
is anyone playing the mac port of Call of Duty 4? i'm trying to get frame rates for benchmarking, but the console is not appearing when I type ~ as it should.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login