Spork Boards

AAPL.O

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:37PM Reply Quote
Talk about industry stock market mumbo-jumbo here.

ARL (Moderator) – December 03, 2016 09:39PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I'm wondering if the markets are even going to notice the Italian referendum and the Austrian election happening tomorrow.

I'm also wondering if the post-election Trump rally is simply the greater fool theory hard at work.

Brexit, Trump, a likely Italexit, a possible truly fascist Austrian govt (!) - why are the markets not in the toilet?

John Willoughby – December 03, 2016 10:03PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Meh, how much trouble could an Austrian fascist cause?

John Willoughby – January 06, 2017 07:38AM Reply Quote
True to form, they're making Tim's paycheck thinner...

James DeBenedetti – January 06, 2017 11:29AM Reply Quote
Ahem... When reporting on executive pay, one should always focus on the details:

Mac Rumors
Update: While Cook earned roughly $1.5 million less from his base salary and non-equity incentives in 2016, it was also the year in which he reached five years as CEO and unlocked nearly $137 million in previously-awarded stock bonuses tied to both his tenure and Apple's performance under his leadership. Accordingly, Cook earned roughly $145 million last year, his biggest payout yet as head of the company.

El Jeffe – January 06, 2017 11:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Until one cashes out said stock, it's all paper. I know, I had five figures in paper go to zero prior cashing out. He might not even be ABLE to cash it out now or might be restricted from cashing it out except on some amount over time, and as all execs, this must be planned/disclosed way ahead of time and not/can't be spur of the moment.

James DeBenedetti – January 06, 2017 04:19PM Reply Quote
The shares mentioned above are unrestricted stock that was unlocked last year, not options. The only way they'll go to zero is if Apple enters bankruptcy before he sells it, which is unlikely given his insider position and the company's current asset position.

El Jeffe – January 12, 2017 12:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
"the age of APPLE is OVER"

https://goo.gl/JCUfxd

New Something Times

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 12:30AM by El Jeffe.

johnny k – January 12, 2017 06:56AM Reply Quote
Because Apple is iPhone, always has been, never can change.

John Willoughby – January 20, 2017 12:10PM Reply Quote
Apple sues Qualcomm for $1,000,000,000.00. Amazing what can happen once you get a second company that make your phones' modems.

(Wrote out the number because I didn't want to get into the whole "billion is a thousand millions/billion is a million billions" debate. Besides, it looks more impressive this way.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2017 12:11PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – January 29, 2017 09:23AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

ARL (Moderator) – January 30, 2017 06:10PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
(Can't find the general investing thread...)

Well, against my better judgement I dabbled a small amount in a few small-cap stocks last year just to see how it would go. It went so-so - I was slightly up until last week. Then Trump happened. Or more Trump happened, I should say. And I think there's still a lot more Trump yet to happen...

I'll likely be wrong but I cashed out two minor gains and one compete dog. I'll cash out a few more over the week. I can't stomach the uncertainty - I'd rather lock in a small loss than risk a much larger future one

From now on it'll be heavily diversified ETFs only and heavily overweight in cash. Almost at the point of buying gold...

ddt – January 30, 2017 07:36PM Reply Quote
What do people think of Bettermint and the like? Are there more recommended ones?

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – January 31, 2017 02:13PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Quarterly results are out...

Despite the mismanagement and shocking neglect of the segment, Mac sales are the 2nd biggest segment and had the 2nd highest year-on-year growth.

Imagine what could happen if they actually cared about this product department.

bahamut – February 02, 2017 10:59AM Reply Quote
Stay away from small caps. You can get rich. Or broke.

I spent most of last spring trying to figure out what to do and now I just prefer tossing my money into Vanguard's index funds. They are low cost. That makes a HUGE difference. I was talking with a financial advisor last year about going independent and he said I needed $50,000 a year or about 1.3% a year more to safe. I realized that was him and his pricey funds. That was the end of that idea.

I have my stocks as follows

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
Vanguard Equity Income Fund
Vanguard Telecom Services
Vanguard Total Bond Index Fund
Vanguard Consumer Staples Fund

Percentages are hard but I'll try to give them.

My interest is dividends and lots of them. I believe it is better to make more off dividends than the same amount off capital gains. This may be a mistake, but it's what I believe.

Let's go through these.

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (45%)

This is what Jack Bogle and Warren Buffett say you should invest in first and foremost. It's the entire US market. You want small caps? They're in there, but so are the big companies that will do well from Trump. Day in day out, this is the solid performer in my portfolio. Maybe I should've bought more. It's an average. Yield is 1.97% but I have already done very well in the first year.

Vanguard Equity Income Fund (10%)

This is a solid performing fund for me. It is supposed to deliver good yields and does well. 2.9% yield. I've done well with tihs one.

Vanguard Telecom Services (5%)

2.97% yield and crazy low P/E. But maybe that's because telecom's day is done? I find that hard to believe but maybe I should't have bought this one. It's all Verizon, AT&T, and T Mobile. There are better constructed funds out there that take into account equipment manufacturers. I've broken even on this since July. Some days I'm up, some days I'm down.

Vanguard Total Bond Index Fund (10%)

I don't like this fund. I don't like bond funds. But I am told that I should diversify. So I do. I still don't like it. it has an SEC yield of 2.97% but it's going down in price. So meh.

Vanguard Consumer Staples Fund (30%)

SEC yield is 2.2%, but it's stocks. It's all the things that are bad for you. Cigarettes and chips. Proctor and Gamble and Phillip Morris. The point of this is that historically speaking it grows slower than the Total Stock market Index but it recovers faster after a downturn. It yields well enough. I think it was yielding better last year. :/

This fund has not done well. It's cost me a lot of money as far as its price. But it has also returned a lot of dividends so it's about even. I'm in it for the long haul, I keep saying to myself. But if the dollar goes up too much or we get in trade wars, this could fuck me.

I was going to sell my AAPL at 120, but remember when you sell you lose 15%. So I haven't done that yet. :?

ddt – February 02, 2017 12:04PM Reply Quote
Thanks. I only have a few thousand to put into anything (basically looking for alternatives to just putting it into a savings account). Is Vanguard the socially conscious fund? Blanking on names. Or I could try Working Assets (use their credit card).

ddt

El Jeffe – February 02, 2017 12:14PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
This month marks the first paycheck in 8 years that I have put money into my company's 401k.
So, I'm sure it will TANK / CRASH NOW...
you can thank/blame me. :)

bahamut – February 02, 2017 01:02PM Reply Quote
The Vanguard funds are not socially conscious at all. Sorry.

John Willoughby – February 13, 2017 06:54AM Reply Quote
Realized over the weekend that AAPL had grown to be more than 36% of my personal stock account. Even after my recent sell-off, WAY more than I am comfortable with. AAPL's done well so far this year, but I sold off a big chunk. I'm going to get some Vanguard Bond ETF's with the proceeds, because I think that there is a non-zero chance that Trump will start a trade war with China and tank the market, and probably some Microsoft because I think that they've been making some smart moves for the past few years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 06:55AM by John Willoughby.

bahamut – February 13, 2017 08:06AM Reply Quote
I've lost a bit of money with the Bond ETfs and with the high likelihood of another interest rate hike, I would predict more of the same. I'm doing it to make my non-existent financial advisor happy since he thinks I'm crazy for having only 7.25% bonds in the portfolio.

I am not selling off my Apple, but it's 2.54% of my stocks so not a big deal (more really due to my owning ^VTI, but don't know how much more).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login