Spork Boards

AAPL.O

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:37PM Reply Quote
Talk about industry stock market mumbo-jumbo here.

John Willoughby – May 19, 2016 09:56AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Yeah, and kids can't access iCloud from home if they don't have iOS or Macs. That's why I thought the iPad might be a better route.

porruka (Admin) – May 19, 2016 10:01AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
Yeah, and kids can't access iCloud from home if they don't have iOS or Macs. That's why I thought the iPad might be a better route.

Eh, what? Windows browsers seem to work ok for this. Unless something has changed recently...

El Jeffe – May 19, 2016 10:06AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think Windows 10 of mine (not booted up in boot camp at moment) has installed iCloud "SOMETHING" ... I know it updates...

porruka (Admin) – May 19, 2016 10:12AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
El Jeffe
I think Windows 10 of mine (not booted up in boot camp at moment) has installed iCloud "SOMETHING" ... I know it updates...

That would be the tools needed for photo sync and iCloud drive, likely.

El Jeffe – May 19, 2016 10:51AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

John Willoughby – May 19, 2016 11:41AM Reply Quote
porruka
John Willoughby

Eh, what? Windows browsers seem to work ok for this. Unless something has changed recently...

No, dammit, I'm an idiot. I've been bitching about the fact that I can't access my iCloud bookmarks on Windows (unless I sync them with IE or Chrome), and I extended the issue to all of iCloud in my mind. iCloud in my mind... a really bad song, but an accurate representation of my mental state.

James DeBenedetti – May 19, 2016 12:07PM Reply Quote
porruka
iCloud Pages/Numbers/Keynote

Ah, I forgot about the web version of iWork. Probably because an Apple keynote is the only place I've ever seen it used. Has anyone seen it out in the wild? By contrast, Google docs/sheets and Facebook groups (or Slack) seem to be the inevitable result of any online collaboration I encounter, regardless of the subject.

ddt – May 19, 2016 04:29PM Reply Quote
I want to like Pages more (Keynote, too, but it's not as critical in terms of what I'm about to say). As more writing tools get super-refined, whether for undistracted environments, or for repurposing content (like Markdown support), or for support for sharing (Word AND Google Docs suck, but in different ways), or for the ability to make professional output (whether LaTex support for academic papers, or the ability to create long books, or even non-Apple ePubs), Pages has just been stalled. It's not even that easy to use any more, certainly compared to other products (that are not named Word).

ddt

El Jeffe – May 26, 2016 01:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Titan is all over the past many months' news.
I am unclear on how Apple could play this in any way to make them a major force.
And when I think CARS, I am not thinking cars like most people would think of cars. Could be any number of scenarios of things that move, and sometimes have human occupants.

johnny k – May 26, 2016 04:49AM Reply Quote
Good distribution deals were key to the early iPhone success. If you see Apple invest in any more car-sharing services, you'll know for sure where they're going. Not sure if Apple would be too early for the sea change in car ownership, but I think that they have a path with car-sharing services. Like the iPhone, riders will see an Apple vehicle as premium and desirable, and that could drive any service to have to offer Apple cars. And like the iPhone, someone else will subsidize the cost.

What would be interesting is if an Apple car, or competitors, make it relatively easy to create your own ride-sharing service. What does Uber provide? A way for drivers and riders to find each other. If you have no drivers, you only need the capital to buy cars. Cities will love it. This could do to public transit what the iPhone did to IT.

El Jeffe – May 26, 2016 05:14AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My thoughts/notes on what autonomy can bring...

John Willoughby – May 26, 2016 07:36AM Reply Quote
There will be huge issues with regulations for driverless cars. And huger issues with liability. If truly autonomous vehicles are coming, it will be little-by-little, gradually eroding peoples' fears and negative expectations. I can't see Apple swooping in and unleashing a ride-sharing service with autonomous cars in an American city. Maybe that's why they're cozying up to a Chinese ride-sharing company.

ddt – May 26, 2016 07:57AM Reply Quote
Ad hoc car/ride sharing networks is a really interesting idea. Yeah, there are a lot of hurdles to think about and deal with (not just designing for technical fail states, but thinking through like Eric Meyer's recent book). Maybe if there's a meta-system -- I'm going to say from ignorance something like the decentralized web cert system? -- an individual can carry reputation and liability coverage from one ad-hoc to another. Hm. I'll think about it as I have to go drive my unshared, non-electric, dumb car for an hour or so.

ddt

John Willoughby – May 26, 2016 08:11AM Reply Quote
I've always wanted a central guidance system for a city. All autonomous cars are guided/controlled from the center, with local control only used for communications outages or off the main road grid (parking lots, driveways, rural highways, etc). Imagine how much safer things would be if the your car not only knew all of its own information, but that of every other vehicle around it. Merging with traffic could be automatically handled, with the main stream of traffic automatically forming a gap that your car could slip into. Still, lawyers will surround any such innovation just waiting for something to go wrong, and sue for billions.

johnny k – May 26, 2016 08:16AM Reply Quote
Yeah, especially in America things will have to be relatively decentralized to coexist with existing cars. In any case, it won't be long before insurance companies find that autonomous cars are a better bet than human-driven cars.

ARL (Moderator) – May 26, 2016 05:52PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Just. Do. It. Already.

And release GOT on iTunes same day as the episodes air on cable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 05:53PM by ARL.

El Jeffe – June 15, 2016 02:03PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Phil Schiller ok? Healthy? Sick?

El Jeffe – June 21, 2016 01:28AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Surprising. To me.

Cloudscout – June 21, 2016 05:34AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Not surprising to me. Tim is the CEO of the most valuable company in the world. His only concern is ensuring that his company makes as much money as possible. A lot of people assumed that the fact he is gay would magically make him an ally of the people that are oppressed and exploited by the Republican Party. The thing is, his wealth and status shields him from everything ordinary people endure. His absolute top concern is getting laws passed that will let Apple repatriate their overseas cash without having to pay the taxes they would owe if they were actually an honest, ethical company. A very close second place is making sure that laws are NOT passed that would hinder their use of slave laborers in third world countries to build products.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login