Spork Boards

AAPL.O

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:37PM Reply Quote
Talk about industry stock market mumbo-jumbo here.

John Willoughby – June 21, 2016 06:23AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I think that he is also making a point with respect to Apple's refusal to contribute anything to the Republican convention due to Trump's views. He's saying, #NotAllRepublicans. Apple is rejecting Trump, not the GOP as a whole.

bahamut – June 21, 2016 09:34AM Reply Quote
Apple contributes to everyone. Well, until Trump. It's a way of ensuring that both sides are happy with them. FB has no scruples, they contribute to Trump too.

As for driverless cars, yes that is a HUGE change in our future. As for Apple, I listened to the Elon Musk re/code interview. He said that Apple was a much bigger threat than Google as far as the cars go. He didn't say why. Then I got it… 

It's the battery stupid.

On the other hand, Elon thinks that Apple is behind on AI, and I think it was he (or maybe someone else) who said that was in part because of their privacy concerns.

ddt – June 21, 2016 09:59AM Reply Quote
The comment on AI sounds along the lines of what Siracusa has been saying about Siri v. Hey Google; one part (he says) is that real neural netting works better w/ server-side, but Apple sees that as a privacy compromise. Or something like that.

FB (well, Zuckerberg) just voted to keep Peter Thiel on their board. So, scruples? Nah.

ddt

John Willoughby – June 21, 2016 10:19AM Reply Quote
That's why Apple's betting heavily on the (relatively) new field of differential privacy, allowing them to mine data for their users as a whole, but not for any individual user. They're betting that they can get what they need to make their products as smart as Google's, without stripping away their users' privacy to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2016 10:20AM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – June 28, 2016 02:17PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
“Poor Tim. What a nice guy he is, but somebody gave him bad advice,” House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco, said at the end of an animated 15-minute phone interview Monday evening. “He probably doesn’t think that much about politics.”

El Jeffe – June 29, 2016 02:03PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

ARL (Moderator) – June 29, 2016 03:52PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
It's a pity she won't talk about Apple's vast thin iPhone and MacBook conspiracy ....

ddt – June 29, 2016 04:24PM Reply Quote
I think you have to look at the context and the lens she's developed -- certainly the other cases (I mean, Google _is_ being put under observation of anti-competitive behavior) and past history of Microsoft going to Federal court for monopolistic practices -- and her concerns make sense. They may not really apply now in the cae of Apple Music, but she's concerned w/ large companies moving towards monopoly. And Apple could have leveraged their market share and network effects. But that would have required a) blocking other services (the way MS tried to) and 2) a, uh, good or highly adopted product.

ddt

El Jeffe – June 29, 2016 11:55PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Like a lot of things, Apple might best be served by/in another place. (Country, state, etc)

John Willoughby – June 30, 2016 05:52AM Reply Quote
Even if they were based in Antarctica, US politicians would still fight for access to customers' data, to regulate terms of service and sales policies, and every aspect of Apple's business in the US. Sales to penguins would be way up, though, and we'd probably see a two-tone black and white iPhone.

John Willoughby – June 30, 2016 06:00AM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
Man, Apple... Tim... Dems... wtf, dudes?

http://9to5mac.com/2016/06/29/elizabeth-warren-apple-monopoly-comments/

Apple built a walled garden. Customers are admitted to the walled garden. So many customers are in the garden that it has become a prime site for lunch vendors. Customers are welcome to buy lunch outside the garden, and Apple makes none of that money. Vendors who want to line up on the midway inside the garden and sell lunch to the throngs of customers there, must pay Apple 30% of the money that they make inside the garden.

I think that if Spotify wants to sell subscriptions without surcharge in Apple Store apps, they should be forced to bundle Apple Music and iTunes with their app. They shouldn't be able to block Apple's access to their customers, after all...

James DeBenedetti – June 30, 2016 06:48AM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
Man, Apple... Tim... Dems... wtf, dudes?

http://9to5mac.com/2016/06/29/elizabeth-warren-apple-monopoly-comments/

Don't forget Tim is personally hosting fundraisers for this guy. Cloudscout has him dead to rights.

bahamut – June 30, 2016 06:10PM Reply Quote
Apple gives money to both Democrats and Republicans, even though the latter has become hard as they are completely anti-business and crazy these days.... https://theintercept.com/2016/06/28/apples-tim-cook-has-billions-of-reasons-to-raise-money-for-the-gop/

El Jeffe – July 01, 2016 02:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
latter?
Republicans, even though the latter has become hard as they are completely anti-business and crazy these days....

you mean FORMER?

johnny k – July 18, 2016 05:04AM Reply Quote
Damn, I had to sell most of my ARMH a couple weeks ago.

John Willoughby – July 18, 2016 05:57AM Reply Quote
Still have mine, but I wish I had more.

John Willoughby – July 20, 2016 08:34PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – July 21, 2016 12:08AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
IMO, Apple is stupid to not have worked all this time to build their own search engine/s; especially to prop up Siri.

ARL (Moderator) – July 21, 2016 02:58PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, every alternative offering has failed. Bing anyone?

ddt – July 21, 2016 03:04PM Reply Quote
I wonder how long they were thinking about or working on something like a smart voice interface before they bought Nuance.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login