Spork Boards

AAPL.O

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:37PM Reply Quote
Talk about industry stock market mumbo-jumbo here.

bahamut – May 05, 2016 05:25PM Reply Quote
Bell labs is still around. Owned by Nokia. They just had a 100 year anniversary of Claude Shannon. Thought about going. I live nearby.

James DeBenedetti – May 05, 2016 08:47PM Reply Quote
bahamut
Bell labs is still around. Owned by Nokia.

I think that pretty much says it all.

El Jeffe – May 10, 2016 12:00AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
There goes TIM...
http://9to5mac.com/2016/05/09/foxconn-india-iphone-manufacturing/

I wonder if encryption was a negotiated term? No Indian laws to hassle Apple.

bahamut – May 10, 2016 06:13PM Reply Quote
Apple needed that to compete in India.

El Jeffe – May 11, 2016 12:05AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Cozy up and MOVE there, too maybe?
leave the FBI, taxes, insane san fran property expense. ;)

John Willoughby – May 11, 2016 07:05AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
iTunes' Bollywood movie selection could use improvement. (I almost said "beefing up" which might have been culturally insensitive.)

johnny k – May 11, 2016 09:42AM Reply Quote
Why? They love beef. They just want to keep it alive.

John Willoughby – May 11, 2016 10:19AM Reply Quote
Don't have a cow!

bahamut – May 12, 2016 05:36PM Reply Quote
Seems like Tim is off the rails.

http://bloom.bg/1WtV0lT

ARL (Moderator) – May 12, 2016 05:49PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Wow. Does Apple hate Uber? Seems very speculative. Odd move.

John Willoughby – May 12, 2016 06:02PM Reply Quote
Can gather a LOT of data about Chinese driving habits and car-sharing. Might be part of the whole Apple Car process.

[EDIT]

I see the article already pointed that out. Never let it be said that I failed to point out the obvious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 06:08PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – May 13, 2016 02:04AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I see a pattern.
India > Foxconn
China > Didi

Tim's solution is to plow money back into the economy he wishes to enter, to placate their politicians.

ARL (Moderator) – May 13, 2016 02:52AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
El Jeffe
I see a pattern.
India > Foxconn
China > Didi

Tim's solution is to plow money back into the economy he wishes to enter, to placate their politicians.

Ah. That makes a lot of sense (and seems so obvious now)

bahamut – May 18, 2016 03:33PM Reply Quote
Yes.

On the one hand, I'm spooked by Tim's inability to get basic shit—like fixing the clusterfuck of iTunes—done, on the other hand, the company is an incredible value play, as Warren B. just suggested. P/E 10.52, 2.41% yield, crazy ass amounts of cash… 

So why is Apple in the toilet?

1. Tim is lame. He just doesn't get it. He's a boring old lady explaining her flower garden. Which is not to say that he is lamer than Gates/Bezos/Musk or any of the typical tech CEOs. It's just that Jobs is what he's competing with, not them.

2. There is so much hatred out there for Apple. There are still folks out there who think Windows rules, or miss their Blackberry keyboards… And these are the folks who set the prices on the markets.

3. Tim hasn't had a single compelling new product under his tenure. He should have made a huge effort to get a better WatchOS out fast, but he didn't. It's barely useable as it is. Not good. The AppleTV 4 is totally botched, how is that not a huge deal? Macs are dead, iPhones are dead, iPads are dead (although 12" is definitely great… even if a niche product… and underpowered… this guy told me today that his Surface had 1TB flash storage, 32GB RAM… it was the same size as my Pro  … that was painful).

johnny k – May 18, 2016 08:28PM Reply Quote
The latest episode of The Talk Show is pretty brutal on Apple. https://daringfireball.net/thetalkshow/2016/05/06/ep-153

John Willoughby – May 19, 2016 06:36AM Reply Quote
It occurs to me that there is one bit of "low hanging fruit" that Apple could easily expand market share with. But it's one that Apple has deliberately avoided. Remove the stupid requirement for Apple TV games to all be playable with the default (horrible) remote. Create a standard for a gaming-centric remote, and allow games to support that standard. Then we'd see some real, console quality (where "console" is PS3 or XBox360) games. It would give people a real reason to go for Apple TV instead of Roku, Chromecast, Fire, etc. and get the iTunes ecosystem in front of them.

I think that Apple is suffering from Jonny Ive design decisions like that damn remote. (Of course, I'm just assuming that Ive drove that choice. I'm probably wrong.)

James DeBenedetti – May 19, 2016 08:26AM Reply Quote
Apple is blowing it with services. It really struck home when my son said he didn't know what Microsoft Word is – even though it's installed on his PC, he loves the company, and I see him using a word processor regularly for homework. Turns out they use Google docs at school, so that's what he uses at home – it gives him access to all his in-class assignments, etc. regardless of where he is or what system he's using. Does anyone remember when Apple used to be the leading tech vendor for education? Does it even have an offering for this use-case?

John Willoughby – May 19, 2016 08:54AM Reply Quote
iPads with Pages and Numbers. A hard sell over a Chromebook with a keyboard and Google docs, IMHO.

porruka (Admin) – May 19, 2016 09:09AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
James DeBenedetti
... Does it even have an offering for this [collaborative productivity app] use-case?

iCloud Pages/Numbers/Keynote

They work pretty well actually, if unsung/unpromoted. And not available on Android devices (default browser), as of the last time I tried to bring someone into a shared doc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login