Spork Boards

Loonie Legislators and that Wacky Webernet Thingo

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – December 31, 2007 10:13PM Reply Quote
The topic that just keeps on giving.

El Jeffe – January 16, 2012 03:25PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Kinda related
FCC / SCOTUS Breyer

I guess Breyer is ignorant of how time zones and Tee Vee work.

Asked why a show was shown one hour earlier in the midwest (because it had bad things on the show). It was shown 10 pm east coast and 9 pm (West of there which to HIM is the Midwest - also a bit geographically-challenged it appears). uh, .... jurist, 10 pm IS 9 pm 'midwest' time. So, it was shown at the same exact moment in the universe. Why does congress proclaim that to be a different time in two different places is my first thought AFTER thinking you're an idiot.

This page has audio link and strangely the text IN THE SOURCE PAGE but not on the web/visible page to me/Safari at least.

http://bit.ly/xPc9UB

Justice Stephen G. Breyer: But this wasn't -- I mean, I -- don't know about this instance.

It's called "Nude Awakening", it's about the sexual awakening of a child.

You ran it, your client, after 10:00 on both coasts and they choose to run it at 9:00 for some unknown reason in the Midwest.

Maybe they thought -- I don't know, whatever.

[Laughter]

Mr. Waxman: --I--

Justice Stephen G. Breyer: But my point is what the FCC terribly told you to do was run it 1 hour later in the Midwest, just as you did on the coast.

Mr. Waxman: --Yes.

Justice Stephen G. Breyer: And -- and why is that not -- I'm not saying, taking this point of view, but I'm saying why -- isn't that just time, manner and circumstance that puts you to very little trouble, and allows everybody to see it, and therefore is constitutional?

Mr. Waxman: The -- this is not some sort of obscure, unknown reason.

This show was run across the country in the last hour of prime time which happens to be from 9:00 to 10:00 p.m. in the Midwest and Mountain Time zones.

Justice Stephen G. Breyer: Because you wanted to make more money from it, I understand that.

And maybe people would have been a little bit inconvenienced, but the inconvenience -- they made a judgment that looking at this show is not like "Private Ryan", it's about sexual awakening; they are showing a part of a nude woman, the viewer is supposed to put himself in the position of the boy who is seeing her, and the whole thing was titillating.

Now they might be wrong; there are two sides to that argument; and so I guess what you are arguing is, if I were to say is that a reasonable view -- I guess I would have to say it.

But you have to say much -- you are telling me I have to say much more than that.

Mr. Waxman: Well, number -- yes.

Number one, it is not a reasonable view, for reasons I will explain.

It was not sexual awakening; this was a portrayal in the context of a story line about the difficulties and embarrassments of blended families.

This was an exploration of one of the things that happens, which is a little boy stumbles in and watches a woman in the quotidian activity of preparing her morning shower.

In any event, the commission for years had been adjudicating complaints about nudity, and I -- I--

Justice Stephen G. Breyer: All right.

Mr. Waxman: --It is simply untrue -- it is simply untrue that this had never occurred before.

NYPD Blue> ["] itself was in its tenth season.

The very first episode which caused a lot of media attention included a nude scene of love making.

It was the subject of any number of complaints.

Justice Stephen G. Breyer: You're going off the question.

Mr. Waxman: Okay.

Justice Stephen G. Breyer: Which -- you haven't seen where I'm going.

ARL (Moderator) – January 16, 2012 05:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

No longer shall I be the silly person who pays 15-20 euros for a film, only to be called a thief in one of those unskippable clips at the beginning of the DVD. I will start paying again for films if I'm treated as a customer.

I have to admit those ads really shit me, especially since they're calling the wrong audience thieves.

The UK has recently adopted a much more positive approach along the lines of "buy paying for this film you are helping to support the local film industry - so thank-you!"

A bit more warm-fuzzy and certainly has me more inclined to be a repeat customer.

tliet – January 16, 2012 06:20PM Reply Quote
Well, that's a start...

A local record label who represents the Dutch artist 'Spinvis' gives you not only the physical CD, but for a modest fee (4 euros) also sends you vinyl and a poster. Guess who's physical CD I bought as the only CD over the past 10 years.

The big labels approach it from the wrong end with their strongarm tacticts and should be eliminated. The only thing that helps is cutting off their oxygen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 06:21PM by tliet.

tliet – January 16, 2012 07:33PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – January 16, 2012 09:23PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I have a dream, now owned by EMI records.

http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/1/16/copyright-king-why-the-i-have-a-dream-speech-still-isn-t-free

Someone should buy the $20 DVD, rip it, and give it away on a website. I think it would make a really interesting test-case.

The King estate would look silly trying to sue, EMI would look absolutely monstrous...

If EMI can gobble that up, what's next - the JFK "ask not" speech?

Thank god the Gettysberg address is out of their clutches...

ARL (Moderator) – January 17, 2012 02:43PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

ARL (Moderator) – January 17, 2012 07:28PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=SOPA+protest&qpvt=SOPA+protest&FORM=EWRE

Hmm. Shutting down the internet to protest something that could shut down the internet?

ARL (Moderator) – January 17, 2012 07:43PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

tliet – January 17, 2012 08:31PM Reply Quote
Here is a nice alternative for the tpb frontpage; http://thorrents.com. Since it only works with magnetised links no legislator in the world can prohibit it, without serious consequences for freedom of speech. (up until now, the physical .torrent file could be used as argument)

El Jeffe – January 19, 2012 06:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
TED hits hard today. My subscribed podcasts are rolling by in queue.
they have one that explains SOPA, and now one that I am watching that is about online attacks.
includes governments attacks against own citizens.
http://bit.ly/xEAl9w

ARL (Moderator) – January 20, 2012 01:38PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/police-find-upload-mogul-in-23m-mansions-safe-room-20120120-1qa8g.html

Glad he was caught. I don't like seeing people profit from piracy/hacking etc, it's a bad look.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 01:38PM by Tony Leggett.

tliet – January 20, 2012 08:37PM Reply Quote
Wouldn't it have been great if the bankers had received the same sort of royal treatment by the FBI? Also, if this is possible within the current law frameworks, why the need for PIPA and SOPA?

Still some questions remain why specifically megaupload was cleaned out, probably to make an example out of the case.

But, no doubt about the fact that the leadership was a pretty appalling figure.

El Jeffe – January 22, 2012 05:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
$500 million in stolen intellectual or copyright property.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/21/us-internet-piracy-megaupload-idUSTRE80K07Q20120121

That line-up, which one doesn't belong came to my mind. Big fella.

ARL (Moderator) – January 22, 2012 04:26PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
That $500 million is the movie studio's "estimate". Real amount might be a quarter of that.

El Jeffe – January 23, 2012 12:43AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Oh, I know. If even a 1/4

tliet – January 23, 2012 03:52AM Reply Quote
It's not 'stealing'. It's copyright infringement. Which is something else all together...

John Willoughby – January 23, 2012 07:23AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
And apparently a more vital issue to the country that, say, taking proper care of wounded veterans.

ddt – January 23, 2012 08:00AM Reply Quote
Well, hell, after the 2010 "OMG deficitz!!!" election, the first order of business in Congress? Defunding Planned Parenthood.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – January 23, 2012 03:09PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
That's so they can claim the number of single mothers grew under Obama's watch...

Cloudscout – January 24, 2012 05:39AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
See, that would have been funnier if you had omitted the last word.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login