Spork Boards

Loonie Legislators and that Wacky Webernet Thingo

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – December 31, 2007 10:13PM Reply Quote
The topic that just keeps on giving.

John Willoughby – June 16, 2011 08:01PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Oh, good, stealing digital content is on its way to being a felony. I was afraid that stealing digital content might be on an even footing with stealing physical goods, you know, the kind that actually cost money to replace. Now I can rest easy, knowing that some idiot who streams a football game with a webcam will go to jail for 5 years; 5 years more than most of the Wall Street types who led this country into economic disaster got.

El Jeffe – June 17, 2011 12:45AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yes, how will peasants ever revolt against gov armed to teeth?

ddt – June 17, 2011 03:38AM Reply Quote
How many peasants have revolted against unarmed governments? By that I mean, how many governments have been relatively unarmed compared to those revolting? Point being, arms can suppress uprisings (brutally or otherwise) but they are not what prevents them from happening.

ddt

johnny k – June 17, 2011 06:14AM Reply Quote
Information is the new weapon, so Internet openness is the new Second Amendment, and the EFF is the new NRA.

ddt – June 17, 2011 06:25AM Reply Quote
"You can have my MP3s when you pry them from my cold, dead... no, wait, I'll put them up in a torrent. Um, what was I saying?"

ddt

tliet – June 17, 2011 12:54PM Reply Quote
Sorry, you were saying?

You mean those 18th century weapons that are used by 15 y/olds to kill each other over a bag of weed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2011 12:55PM by tliet.

tliet – June 22, 2011 06:16AM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – June 22, 2011 02:22PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Jay to you too!

tliet – June 23, 2011 04:20AM Reply Quote
Telcos are now threatening that the prices will go up. I guess it'll be a good way to root out cartels. Good thing the government is going to auction off new frequencies with the limitation that existing players cannot bid.

El Jeffe – June 23, 2011 06:45AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Jay to the World, I say

John Willoughby – September 02, 2011 09:12AM Reply Quote
You're welcome, Tony, Simon. No need to thank the USA for looking out for your rights; it's all part of being Global Intellectual Property Policeman.

ARL (Moderator) – September 02, 2011 02:42PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
The case thankfully got thrown out anyhow...

(Good thing too - internet access would be hideously expensive if ISPs were required to police their own networks for copyright infringement)

ARL (Moderator) – September 22, 2011 09:39PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

James DeBenedetti – September 23, 2011 06:56AM Reply Quote
I don't think you can really fix the problem until you go back to the old requirement that patent applications include a working prototype.

John Willoughby – September 23, 2011 07:58AM Reply Quote
I would say that we should have no software patents at all. Copyright your code if you want, but stop trying to lock up ideas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 07:58AM by John Willoughby.

Cloudscout – September 23, 2011 10:13AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
John Willoughby
I would say that we should have no software patents at all. Copyright your code if you want, but stop trying to lock up ideas.

Amen.

El Jeffe – September 23, 2011 02:59PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Did you hear Al Franken ask about federal criminal charges that can be brought up when employees violate their employer's internet policies or terms of service?
The answer he got was not "No, we would never do that" it was more like, we'll evaluate that on a case by case basis..... uh huh... right.

johnny k – September 23, 2011 05:37PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby

Then sign the White House petition. Actually looks more effective than the usual, since the government is hosting it. 10K, or dare I dream, 100K signatures would get some attention.

John Willoughby – October 05, 2011 09:16AM Reply Quote
Wikipedia leaving Italy due to intolerable legal requirements. This is a f***ing evil trend that I could see happening elsewhere.

John Willoughby – October 20, 2011 08:20AM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login