Spork Boards

Loonie Legislators and that Wacky Webernet Thingo

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – January 01, 2008 03:13AM Reply Quote
The topic that just keeps on giving.

ARL (Moderator) – December 14, 2017 08:17PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, RIP net neutrality...

Spork doesn't seem to be buffering yet?

John Willoughby – December 14, 2017 08:33PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
They'll wait until the 60-day period in which Congress can revoke a rule change with a simple majority vote is over.

johnny k – December 15, 2017 12:13AM Reply Quote
Which is what we all should be calling our congresspeople about now, to support a resolution of disapproval.

James DeBenedetti – December 15, 2017 12:15AM Reply Quote
The thing about living in California is I don't have to call Congresspeople and ask them to do the right thing because they mostly do it all on their own.

ARL (Moderator) – December 21, 2017 07:30AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I dunno if this is just me wearing my tinfoil hat too tightly but my peak time internet has been terrible the last week or so, like a quarter the usual speeds?

My ISP has a pile of "sports packs" & "entertainment packs" all of a sudden being heavily promoted.

Are we a test market?

El Jeffe – December 22, 2017 08:37AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yes, too tight. geez.

ARL (Moderator) – December 22, 2017 08:44AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Indulge me, Jeffe...

El Jeffe – December 23, 2017 04:16AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
well, I can't really assuage anything. But how are your ISP options? One thing I did was have two ISP/internets at the same time at home once. My former "fone" company internet was beginning to act up, so I had the "cable" internet added. I compared one to the other, and went with cable. I wish I had a myriad of options, I'd probably KEEP a two connection household. Mainly because my work/livelihood depend on it.

Also, I'd wonder what you'd see if you plop a VPN on, as well as maybe a total router change. I bought my Netgear R7000 when it was NEW, and it has continued to get ranked as one of the best routers. They continue to put out firmware update, and vulnerability updates.

As well as check basic things like your DNS setup. Perhaps run or regularly run, namebench ( I usually run and walk-away) to analyze your domain name server selections.

and of course, scan for malware, etc.
Also, I like to compare against Chrome(book) performance, too. So, cheap chromebook can be nice to eliminate the two mainstream OS-suckage.

But, doubtful it's related to the so-called net neutrality. ;)

ARL (Moderator) – March 07, 2018 01:16AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
This is awesome.

Bring on the internet "sanctuary cities."

ARL (Moderator) – March 08, 2018 11:43PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

ARL (Moderator) – April 02, 2018 05:06AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

John Willoughby – April 02, 2018 11:31AM Reply Quote
Thank God, seventy year-old white millionaire men making the internet safe. If people want sex work, they should do as God intended, and assault an office subordinate.

John Willoughby – May 05, 2018 05:16PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – June 04, 2018 08:52PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I guess this answers whether net (non)neutrality will come downunder:

Gamers to blame for NBN congestion...

What kind of cut-rate broadband network are we building here? If everyone could just go back to text-only email and bulletin boards our network would be just fine!

John Willoughby – June 05, 2018 08:09AM Reply Quote
ARL

What kind of cut-rate broadband network are we building here? If everyone could just go back to text-only email and bulletin boards our network would be just fine!

It's a lot more profitable to charge you more for an ever-diminishing portion of the pipe than it is to expand the size of the pipe.

Do you guys have competition in your internet providers in Australia? Most of us in the US really only have one or two choices in our regions.

El Jeffe – June 05, 2018 11:15AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
There’s options. But not too many.

ARL (Moderator) – June 05, 2018 07:43PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
ARL

It's a lot more profitable to charge you more for an ever-diminishing portion of the pipe than it is to expand the size of the pipe.

Do you guys have competition in your internet providers in Australia? Most of us in the US really only have one or two choices in our regions.

We have the illusion of choice. There's a lot of retailers, but they all buy from the same 3 or 4 wholesalers, who then all buy from nbn.com.au

ARL (Moderator) – June 21, 2018 11:49PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Good news! It's not just Australia and the US full of internet luddites! The EU can do stupid things too!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login