Spork Boards

small, furry, loud, dangerous

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – November 15, 2008 09:46AM Reply Quote
a thread about our spawn.

ARL (Moderator) – May 30, 2015 07:49PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Congrats Mokers.

(My sister was just over 3lbs at 32 weeks - so don't worry about the girls being underbaked)

johnny k – May 30, 2015 10:32PM Reply Quote
Congrats, dude! They look vibrant. I can't imagine what labor would've been for twins (or labor at all, really). C-sections take the drama out of it, which I appreciated. You're going to think I'm weird, but C-section babies don't get a starter set of gut microbes from the mom, so consider giving it to them. Read this: http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2014/06/birth-canal-bacteria-c-section

My nurse practitioner wife can expound on it.

John Willoughby – May 30, 2015 10:32PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Excellent! You're in for the ride of your life! Best wishes and a quick recovery to Mrs. Mokers.

James DeBenedetti – May 31, 2015 01:22AM Reply Quote
Congratulations, Mokers!

bahamut – May 31, 2015 10:55AM Reply Quote
Congratulations! Cedar Sinai? That's where our kids were born.

As a taste of the future, we started our first D&D campaign today, with my wife and two kids. I was DM. It's been almost 35 years since I last played. It went well! The 5th edition rule books are pretty good, glad we got them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2015 10:55AM by bahamut.

El Jeffe – May 31, 2015 01:49PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Congrats. You're on the upside, and we had my oldest's grad open house yesterday.
SOAK IT ALL IN.

dharlow – May 31, 2015 03:11PM Reply Quote
Congrats!

Mokers (Moderator) – June 03, 2015 03:53PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
We were at Kaiser Walnut Creek. The girls did really well in the hospital and aced all of their bloodwork so they let them come back from us. Johnny, we didn't hear about that as an option, but we would have looked into it. Definitely soaking it all in. It was hard for me to leave them or mom the first few days. They were in the NICU and mom was recovering. I wanted to be there for feedings and to help mom breastfeed. I think I ate about 1200 calories in 48 hours. Luckily some friends stopped by and forced me to eat and I was able to calm myself down and go out walking to get food. I think the routine in the hospital was just throwing me off. We were crowded, nowhere really decent for me to sleep and by the time I got around to thinking about food for me, it was usually just vending machines. Really excited to be starting a family. thanks for all of the support guys.

tomierna (Admin) – June 03, 2015 09:48PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Definite congrats to the new parents. My oldest just celebrated his HS graduation :P

johnny k – June 09, 2015 11:15AM Reply Quote
I enjoyed our short stay in the hospital. Unlike you, I had a little bed to sleep on, with the baby between us in her clear bassinet. When we took her home it was a little scary because then she was our sole responsibility.

As far as getting the mom's beneficial bacteria, it's not a medical procedure or anything she can't do herself (as my wife did). The science is only just coming in on it, but certainly nothing harmful about applying what you'd normally get in a natural childbirth.

johnny k – June 23, 2015 11:30PM Reply Quote
Went to NYC this weekend to surprise my mom for her 70th birthday while she was visiting my sister. My wife was working this weekend so I took the baby. She was a champ, 6 hours of flying each way on my lap, no fuss, and everyone doted on her. I also got a lot of credit and sympathy, which my wife pointed out was sexist - women never get that because they're expected to be good mothers, but giving a shit at all makes you Father of the Year. (Speaking of, Happy Father's Day to all y'all fathers.)

Baby also had her first Asian food there, feeding herself fistfuls of rice and pork belly. Pretty much weaned herself now. The only reason I'm losing any hair is because she thinks it's a fun thing to pull herself up on. Hope you luck out like I did, Remy.

El Jeffe – June 24, 2015 05:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
try taking a kitten... about ANYWHERE... :) they always make people stop and smile and such.
Sounds like you had fun.

Mokers (Moderator) – June 24, 2015 11:49AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
John I hear you. I was willing to change diapers while we were in the hospital and everybody was like "You are going to be such a good dad!" . And I was just doing stuff I was supposed to do. My wife was still on painkillers from the c-section and couldn't get out of bed, was I supposed to make her change the diapers? Or call a nurse and have my babies crying until somebody could come by and change them?

ARL (Moderator) – June 24, 2015 07:57PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I always felt bad that there was nothing I could physically do to "help out" in those first few months with my daughter.

Six years later, it's still frustrating on occasion to not be a more "hands on" parent.

(Today's first world problem and white whine proudly brought to you by the city of Brisbane, more specifically by me...)

johnny k – June 24, 2015 09:55PM Reply Quote
Remy, yeah, you know, this is actually sexist against men. Thinking we're so stupid that we need nurses to change diapers.

TL, you've just been saving your energy. You'll have plenty of wisdom (well, from a kid's perspective, at least :) to impart. It's a marathon relay, and they need different things from parents throughout their lives. So I'm told.

Ron Burns – June 25, 2015 12:08PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Daughter of 45. True.

John Willoughby – June 25, 2015 03:30PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
It must be pretty cool to share four decades with your daughter, and watch the growth. I'll see nothing near that with mine.

Ron Burns – June 25, 2015 04:16PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Has its moments. Grandchildren are a great invention (if even more expensive)!

El Jeffe – July 17, 2015 07:37AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
not small
not furry.
still dangerous.
No matter how much I tell my now ADULT child, he thinks I'm nagging, bugging, etc. I get no pleasure out of still reminding basic mature responsible and civil/polite behavior in my 19 year old son.
I mean, I don't do it for my own pleasure. I do it because I've said it one time, said it another thousand, still NOT seeing responsible behavior acted upon by him. And he has not outwardly visible brain damage to account for the inability >>> THUS must not have any desire to change said behavior.

grrrrrrrr rrrrr rrrrr.

(This message brought to you from DAD!!!! Dammit!!!)

ARL (Moderator) – July 17, 2015 11:23AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
wait 3-4 years and it should wear off

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login