Spork Boards

small, furry, loud, dangerous

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – November 15, 2008 04:46AM Reply Quote
a thread about our spawn.

El Jeffe – December 07, 2014 10:52AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
You just wanted to stand out from the crowd, admit it Ron! :)

Ron Burns – December 07, 2014 02:56PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Such distinction was never in doubt surely! My tardiness was in part a function of the nappy aversion which assumes a renewed significance at my advanced age...

Mokers (Moderator) – February 17, 2015 12:27PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
So, it looks like we are having two girls. Any advice from people who have daughters. What is my next purchase? Shotgun?

johnny k – February 17, 2015 01:11PM Reply Quote
Make friends with older parents. I can't imagine what we've saved because we got hand-me-downs from an older cousin and work friends' kids.

El Jeffe – February 17, 2015 02:28PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
congrats. take it all in...

John Willoughby – February 17, 2015 04:37PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Earplugs. Psychology texts. More stuffed animals than you can possibly imagine. Start college funds. If you believe in the bride's parents paying for the wedding, start saving now (it won't be enough).

ARL (Moderator) – February 18, 2015 03:56PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
So, it looks like we are having two girls. Any advice from people who have daughters. What is my next purchase? Shotgun?

Advice? Start issuing ultimatums to various relatives that the following gifts are to be given sparingly, if at all:

1. Any noise-making or musical item until there's proof your kids have discernible musical talent.

2. Any items reinforcing the disney-princess-industrial-complex. Go watch Sleeping Beauty - what lessons does that tell young girls? Do you want your daughters to think like that? Try to steer them toward more positive active role models. Accept that it is likely you will fail.

3. See #2 but ten times so for anything "Frozen" related. (And no, you don't want to build a fucking snowman!)

Additional tips:

4. Do not fall into the trap of co-sleeping. If your daughters are not learning to "self-settle" by the 6-8 month mark (ie you're still up every two hours) GET HELP! There are humane ways to teach self settling.

5. When your kids are screaming their heads off, look at a clock. A minute can feel like an hour. Knowing it's not been that long helps with the stress (unless it then does become "that long").

(I'll stop now)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 03:57PM by ARL.

bahamut – February 19, 2015 02:48AM Reply Quote
Daughters are great fun.

Frozen is absolutely horrible.

There are no humane ways to teach self-settling. Trust me we tried. But co-sleeping is a disaster too. It's all a disaster. Unless you get lucky.

When your kids have been screaming their heads off for nine hours, the neighbors are going to complain to the police. It's at that point you think about co-sleeping again.

El Jeffe – February 19, 2015 03:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
The smallest gifts are the best gifts... iThings... take up NO ROOM.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 19, 2015 06:14PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Hmm, I liked Frozen, but I love musicals. I also loved the minions in despicable me (I already have approval to dress the girls as minions for Halloween).

As for settling, we are getting double paned windows soon...

El Jeffe – February 20, 2015 12:26AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
DM: Minions .... I have never been in a movie theater laughing SO LOUDLY as the DM2.

bahamut – February 20, 2015 03:00AM Reply Quote
Put them in front of the dishwasher when they won't sleep. Works sometimes.

Jeff Cooper – February 20, 2015 08:28AM Reply Quote
Be careful about buying stuff for them. My ex-wife and I both went overboard in the wake of our separation and divorce (trying to provide some comfort to the kids in difficult times), and we wound up creating unrealistic expectations that we're both still grappling with.

YDD – February 23, 2015 03:04AM Reply Quote
On Frozen: I know there's a whole heap of merchandise around it, but I thought the story was pretty good and positive. - certainly far better than the usual princess-needing-to-be-rescued stuff. Having to listen to my daughter sing "Let It Go" in the shower does offset this somewhat, but still.....

ARL (Moderator) – February 23, 2015 03:46PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

You are right that the underlying story of Frozen is more um "empowering" than your typical Disney fare.

Brave was better still but my daughter found it boring (sigh...)

It's the merchandising that ruins these movies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 03:47PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – February 23, 2015 04:51PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I found Frozen dull. Too much music, too little story. I do not want to build a snow man. Or let it go. My kids liked it fine, but don't re-watch it. Ratatouille, on the other hand, has been played about 100 times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 04:51PM by John Willoughby.

bahamut – February 24, 2015 01:50PM Reply Quote
I HATED Frozen. Give me Ice Age anyday for cold weather movies.

Alan Lehman – April 04, 2015 06:12AM Reply Quote

You're catching a break up front but you'll pay for it later when they hit puberty (that's when the shotgun comes in handy). Between now and then you'll be very glad you didn't have boys. What's the famous saying? When you have a boy you just have to watch one boy. When you have a girl, you have to watch all the boys....

Mokers (Moderator) – May 30, 2015 06:58AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
So the girls were born yesterday at 35 weeks, 3 days. 4lbs 9 oz. I'll try to link a few pics later. Mom is OK (Ziva was breech so we had a c-section) and the babies will be observed a few days and then we can take them home. Now I have to make sure they use Dad's macbook and not mom's Latitude.

porruka (Admin) – May 30, 2015 07:39AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Awesome that all is well! Congratulations!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login