Spork Boards

small, furry, loud, dangerous

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – November 15, 2008 04:46AM Reply Quote
a thread about our spawn.

Jeff Cooper – November 27, 2013 05:07PM Reply Quote
My little boy is 12 today, and decidedly not little. How the hell did that happen?

El Jeffe – November 28, 2013 02:33AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
LOL.
In the last 6 weeks my son has hit the weights hard; and it's unbelievable how much muscle mass and definition he's packed on. All growed-up! No excuse not to do chores now.

Jeff Cooper – November 29, 2013 07:54PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
LOL.
In the last 6 weeks my son has hit the weights hard; and it's unbelievable how much muscle mass and definition he's packed on. All growed-up! No excuse not to do chores now.

Heh. Get him to work!

El Jeffe – November 30, 2013 06:17AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yeah,,... uhm....

El Jeffe – November 30, 2013 10:52AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
They are putting up the outdoor lights!

HUG YOUR KIDS !!!
Friends of ours, their daughter lost her battle with Leukemia last night. She was the brightest little girl, always smiling. And I mean brightest. Her sister I think (they look like twins) is still the #1 student in my oldest son's class.
I wish her peace.

Riley Children's Hospital video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzm9WeJzoas

Birthday wishes video for her earlier this month https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssvFqe91qNw

Jeff Cooper – December 01, 2013 03:21PM Reply Quote
That is terribly sad.

I dreamed last night that my daughter was taken by a sudden, terrible illness, and I woke up this morning, her birthday, near tears.

Thankfully, it was just a dream. And, yes, I gave her an enormous hug when she came bounding down the steps this morning, looking for her presents.

bahamut – December 19, 2013 03:11AM Reply Quote
So it's solstice time again and I'm wondering what I should be buying our kids to help them endure another dark winter of gloom.

Advice time! The number one thing of course would be some kind of electronic shock aversion therapy to prevent my son from pacing. During the time I have written this sentence he has paced back and forth across our kitchen-dining-living room are five times. It's insane! He must walk eight miles a day.

Ok, on to more reasonable things. He's 8, his sister is 11. Naturally they're bright and even in gifted programs in the summer (these do require qualification), although neither is über geeks compared to their peers (although my son is close).

Anyway, with just a couple of shopping days left, I'd like to ask about some ideas.

MMORPG to play with the kids? They love Club Penguin and there's something so charming and wonderful about it that I don't want to see them lose that. They also love Minecraft and I've built a server on my Synology and I play with them on it. No question that's a hit for the whole family (minus my wife). But maybe they're old enough for LOTR online? I tried DDO, but was disappointed to see it cloned the WoW interface so thoroughly, I thought there was no point. Maybe WoW, but I dunno, are there child-friendly servers out there? I used to play with a bunch of marines, so you can imagine.

RPG to play with the kids? There's this D & D spin off, http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/04/wizards-of-the-coast-publishes-dd-for-kids/ but I'm old school so I'd rather imagine something from the first set. This barely even seemed like an RPG really.

That said, I recently looked at the rules and was daunted by how much there'd be to re-learn and etc. Will this really hold their attention? Can I really run a campaign with two kids and my wife? I've bought the Monster Manual, Player's Handbook, and DM guide and have also downloaded the rules for Basic, but I dunno, I dunno. Thoughts?

Finally, looking for some kind of insane science project thing to do with the kids. They have a lot of he standard stuff like the sciencewiz kits. Would like to think Arduino, but given that we aren't doing enough with Mindstorms, maybe not.

Heck, what I probably should just do is redouble on the things we have around here, but after all, it's the holidays.

YDD – December 19, 2013 04:23AM Reply Quote

So it's solstice time again and I'm wondering what I should be buying our kids to help them endure another dark winter of gloom.
Well, in two days' time, you can just cheerily remind them that the days are getting longer ;-)

Finally, looking for some kind of insane science project thing to do with the kids
Multiply nitrating toluene rings is always a hit - three is generally regarded as a good target.

El Jeffe – December 19, 2013 02:24PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
puppy

John Willoughby – January 27, 2014 05:55PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
tumblr_mx1b8x4Mw21qzpo93o1_1280.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 05:55PM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – February 18, 2014 10:12AM Reply Quote
In a crunch at work, and I can't make it to an awards ceremony for my oldest daughter (among others). Sent her a text, telling her that I am proud of her, and the Sith Code:

Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

I figure between this and her GPA, she should make it through high school just fine.

johnny k – February 18, 2014 03:44PM Reply Quote
Wow, I love that. I just need an apprentice like you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 03:44PM by johnny k.

John Willoughby – September 11, 2014 06:09PM Reply Quote
Wife: "In the olden days we had to make Chex mix in the oven. "
Youngest Daughter: "In the olden days, people's hearts were cut out and they were sacrificed to gods."

I think that my progeny have a somewhat fore-shortened view of history.

porruka (Admin) – September 11, 2014 06:12PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
Wife: "In the olden days we had to make Chex mix in the oven. "
Youngest Daughter: "In the olden days, people's hearts were cut out and they were sacrificed to gods."

You don't make Chex mix in the oven anymore? The sacrifices have been cancelled?

John Willoughby – September 11, 2014 06:23PM Reply Quote
I don't make Chex mix at all. Human sacrifice is too much hassle. The screaming, the mess, the inchoate horrors from beyond the stars... Nowadays, I just write them a check.

johnny k – September 11, 2014 06:28PM Reply Quote
I got an apprenticedaughter today. Pretty cool, I guess. #neverforget

Mokers (Moderator) – September 12, 2014 04:29AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Congrats Johnny!

John Willoughby – September 12, 2014 04:58AM Reply Quote
Wonderful news, Johnny! I would have expected twin(e)s, though.

porruka (Admin) – September 12, 2014 07:11AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Congrats, JK!

James DeBenedetti – September 12, 2014 07:52AM Reply Quote
Yes - congrats, Johhny! It will take a few years for the apprentice part to kick in though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login