Spork Boards

small, furry, loud, dangerous

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – November 15, 2008 04:46AM Reply Quote
a thread about our spawn.

Jeff Cooper – May 22, 2011 06:45PM Reply Quote
My family had a French au pair from when I was 5 until I was 8, from when my sister was 3 to 6, and for the first three years of my brother's life. Both my siblings have a great facility for language. Could be coincidence.

John Willoughby – May 22, 2011 06:56PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
But Sanskrit is right out.

Jeff Cooper – May 22, 2011 07:16PM Reply Quote
Nah--both my siblings speak Asian languages now (my sister speaks Mandarin, my brother speaks Thai). I think the early exposure to different languages probably helped them. As for me, I spoke pretty good French once upon a time, but have no general aptitude for learning other languages. A lot has happened in the brain by the time it's 5.

El Jeffe – May 23, 2011 12:43AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have found that my kids' Latin teachings in school has been valuable for ME, too. I never had a foreign language until college. So, the Latin roots are very helpful, imo.

ARL (Moderator) – May 23, 2011 02:28PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Latin would be my choice even though it's a dead language - so useful for figuring out the meaning of complex words. After that, Spanish or Mandarin maybe...

I guess my concern is that because my daughters enunciation is still very poor (most kids the same age have far more advanced language skills) - most of the time it's still indecipherable mumbling & babbling - I'm worried that the addition of poorly enunciated french mumbling is just going to make it even more difficult to understand what she's saying. I think at this point she needs a speech therapist rather than a french tutor.

Anyhow, we'll see how it goes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 02:30PM by Tony Leggett.

El Jeffe – May 23, 2011 05:16PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I had a speech problem when I was young, and I think I do okay now. Though I have to consciously try each and every sentence.
I have a son on the other hand who has very poor diction. (Seems to be the umbrella : Diction comprises eight elements: Phoneme, Syllable, Conjunction, Connective, Noun, Verb, Inflection, and Utterance.)

Jeff Cooper – June 14, 2011 07:32PM Reply Quote
As Daring Fireball notes, Audible is offering a special free Father's Day present: the audiobook of Go the F--k to Sleep, read by--who else?--Samuel L. Jackson.

ARL (Moderator) – June 14, 2011 07:59PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

We're sorry. Due to publishing rights restrictions, we are not authorized to sell this item in the country where you live.

Bah!

Simon – June 14, 2011 08:08PM Reply Quote
Thats pretty easy to get around. Set up an amazon account at amazon with your credit card, then link the amazon account to audible. Audible doesn't seem to check the address of the amazon account. I've used this to get some Daniel Suarez audio books that aren't available in australia for some reason.

ARL (Moderator) – June 15, 2011 05:00PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I've gotten stuff from audible before - it's just this particular book that has the restrictions...

John Willoughby – June 15, 2011 05:07PM Reply Quote
Probably because Samuel Jackson's a big star; his vocal rights are probably much more valuable and hotly negotiated.

Simon – June 15, 2011 05:50PM Reply Quote
Tony, thats the situation I ran into with the Daniel Suarez books. linking my amazon account as the payment source solved the problem.

El Jeffe – June 19, 2011 04:56AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Happy Father's Day - Spork Dads

ARL (Moderator) – June 19, 2011 03:44PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hmmm... Fathers day is September in Australia.

Dave Loudin – June 19, 2011 05:12PM Reply Quote
Right back atcha, Bill!

Jeff Cooper – June 20, 2011 11:21AM Reply Quote
Samantha (6) offered to make me breakfast yesterday. Basically, this meant getting a package of Poptarts from the pantry (which I then had to open), but it was extremely cute.

John Willoughby – June 20, 2011 12:14PM Reply Quote
Nice! I got a photo of one of my kids, and a pen that they handed out at the church my other daughter went to. Better than the year that nobody remembered until they heard me wishing MY dad a happy Father's Day.

El Jeffe – June 20, 2011 12:15PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My daughter wrapped a small foam football she found elsewhere in the house. And a 1st gen iPod Nano for me. With rhinestones.

John Willoughby – June 20, 2011 12:16PM Reply Quote
The little ones are so cute with gifts.

ARL (Moderator) – October 10, 2011 02:37PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Do you guys have these "balance bikes" in the US?

http://www.oomookids.com.au/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=1

Just ordered one for my soon-to-be three-year-old...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login