Spork Boards

small, furry, loud, dangerous

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – November 15, 2008 04:46AM Reply Quote
a thread about our spawn.

Mokers (Moderator) – December 04, 2017 07:52PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
she seems to be especially vindictive. that is crazy.

El Jeffe – January 02, 2018 07:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
El Jeffe
So far we are blessed with the Kettering University experience for DS2 (Dear Son #2).
so, again, it's 11 weeks of class; then 11 weeks of WORK (aka co-op)
The transformation has been amazing. What could be observed as your typical xbox/sleep in, sleep WAY in teenage boy, has now joined numerous clubs, been racing, fabbed carbon-fiber, drive hours to job/co-op interviews, (TYING HIS OWN TIE!) (re)presenting himself as a mature, responsible adult to perspective employers et al.

Has received to-date two co-op job offers. And one today was from a visit that really got him excited. FCA (formerly Chrysler). Visited the HQ and CTC (Chrysler Tech Center).
The offer includes housing, which is great. He has visit/interview with Bosch tomorrow, but FCA blew him away.

He will be more than 1/2 way thru semester before old bro heads back... AND have a paying/free housing job lined up to pay for it all. Love the idea.
Plus, I graduated from CHRYSLER HS, most of my family has worked for Chrysler (brother, brother in law, most uncles including the highest seniority employee with 61 years), roommate was flown up by Lee Iacocca and offered a job. etc. etc... Plus I drive etc 96 car of the year, Dodge Grand Caravan. hahah

He visited their wind tunnel...

Quoting/referring back to my own post...

So far Kettering paired with FCA (formerly known as Chrysler) has been the BOOT CAMP equivalent that has worked very well for my son to both keep his focus, and change-up his environments every three months. From just weeks after his high school graduation, he has lived on his own, moving back and forth between school/work; dorm/apartments, job and study. Rarely HOME or even with any time OFF, it's really prepared him well for being responsible for his own day, year, life so far.

This came out today and I find it also reassuring.

https://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21731971-new-study-shows-importance-exposure-innovation-childhood-surroundings-matter
The college which produces the fourth-highest share of inventors in the data set is little-known Kettering University in Flint, Michigan—edging out brand-name institutions like Stanford and Carnegie Mellon.

Given that his grades in HS likely did not reflect his capacity to learn and strive, and Kettering took him whereas the other schools in that list might not have, this seems ideal. Again, we are blessed with this opportunity and pass along this information for anyone else to benefit from it.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 02, 2018 07:25AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
That is good to hear Jefe. one of the things I think is missing from our country in higher education is more relationships like you describe. While I believe a traditional four-year college makes sense for a lot of people, there are many out there where that path doesn't work. While your son might not be learning what we would technically call a trade, there is a lot to be said for giving people practical experience while they are learning all of the theory.

John Willoughby – January 02, 2018 09:13AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
My eldest is participating in a fellowship next semester. Community outreach for a certain political movement. Her cause is environmentalism, but it ties in to a lot of candidates in our area. I'm pleased by her activism, not so much that she is performing it on top of her regular school work. She is doing well at college, though, so I'm allowing her to use her judgement. They will send her a nice stipend, though, which helps.

I wish that she'd settle down for a major, though. So far she is considering... all of them.

johnny k – January 02, 2018 09:57AM Reply Quote
You have a lot to be proud of.

I didn't find my major until two years in. Either you take your time and find the right one, or pick anything quickly knowing that you're going to be wrong anyway and go back to school after some work/life experience.

Suddenly, need to find a new school/daycare for my kids. Their teacher killed her fiancé on the 31st. Fuck you, 2017!

John Willoughby – January 02, 2018 10:14AM Reply Quote
Yowza. Sorry to hear that, johnny. Not something one expects.

El Jeffe – January 02, 2018 10:16AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
WHAT!!!??? Murdered!? That's crazy shit.

johnny k – January 03, 2018 08:22AM Reply Quote
Yeah, unreal. When my wife told me, my exact words were HOLY SHIT. She was a very patient and methodical teacher. I was waiting to drop the kids off yesterday (school is held in another parent's house) for 45 minutes, uncharacteristic of the teacher to be late. No one had heard from her. Then someone (her son I guess) emailed one of the other parents to say she was in jail, no details. My wife googled for mugshots and found an article. It doesn't feel like the complete story, but what do we really know of other people?

Still, better than the last nanny who passed out in our bed drunk at nap time. The trend points to our next caretaker being a serial killer who knows how to hide the bodies and has a master's in education. I will not complain, as this week I'm roaming between the YCMA and a cafe which both offer a few hours of childcare.

El Jeffe – January 03, 2018 02:56PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
this world. I swear. makes you re-think the common wo/man on the streets. Again, my/our next door neighbor's kid stabbed a guy to death. He used to play here, and with my sons. Sorry this happened and you were on the periphery of such an unknown underlying tragedy.

ARL (Moderator) – January 06, 2018 02:05AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Been a while since I posted in here.

I... I... er..., um, sigh...

I have no words...

El Jeffe – January 06, 2018 08:58AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
hopefully things will look up, ARL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 08:07PM by ARL.

ARL (Moderator) – January 09, 2018 01:41AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I'm pretty sure, in the last few days, that my daughter has been taken interstate, despite me expressly saying I did not consent to such a move.

There's a somewhat pedantic, technical phrase for that, but the word currently eludes me...

John Willoughby – January 09, 2018 06:39AM Reply Quote
I hope that you have good representation, ARL. I'm so sorry that this is happening.

ARL (Moderator) – January 30, 2018 06:00PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Just had a two-hour telephone mediation session (third session in 8 months). Mentally it was brutally gruelling.

The mediator always says at the end "well, I think we reached a lot of consensus today" and my thoughts are "We did? What? Where?"

Cloudscout – January 30, 2018 07:15PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Are they a member of Dolt 45’s cabinet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login