Spork Boards

small, furry, loud, dangerous

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – November 15, 2008 04:46AM Reply Quote
a thread about our spawn.

ARL (Moderator) – March 20, 2017 04:55PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
You could tell the teacher your son has nits. That would stop the noogies...

ARL (Moderator) – March 26, 2017 12:08AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Had my daughter over this weekend. Had a great time, she had a sleepover with her Aunty, and we all saw Beauty & the Beast the next day.

Confirmed with my ex that it was ok for her to pickup (otherwise would have to get my sister to drop my daughter off).

Ex: "yep, pickup is ok".

So, tell my sister she can go home after movie.

Ex (25 mins after agreed pickup time): "Can't pickup, can't you drop off?"

One argument and nearly $100 taxi round trip later = #AbsolutelyRaging.

El Jeffe – March 26, 2017 07:55AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Sorry. This is perfect APP material. quick/short task management/AGREEMENTS. that each party agrees to, and has a formalized records of such things.

ARL (Moderator) – March 26, 2017 02:42PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
APP?

johnny k – March 26, 2017 05:22PM Reply Quote
Application for a Personal Processor.

Probably impractical, but you say you couldn't change the arrangement, and your daughter would stay with you until she could pick her up.

Bruce Robertson – April 01, 2017 04:16PM Reply Quote
Just saw my oldest stepdaughter and her daughter performing in Suessical at Green River CC, Auburn WA. Great show, crazy costmes, enorumous cast, well acted. Fun to see.

El Jeffe – April 02, 2017 03:53PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yay. sounds fun.
Whirlwind last week. Got my son switched OUT of university, and back over to being ready for yet another 12 weeks of co-op work at FCA.
10 hours + driving yesterday up and back. New apartment move in, assembled furniture, all the normal move in crap, comcast, 10 hours of getting him ready for new apartment. stocked food. I'm too old for this stuff.

oh, and bought him a new(to us) car on spur of moment Thursday morning. :) same as our old car. but 1/4 the miles!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2017 03:57PM by El Jeffe.

John Willoughby – April 02, 2017 04:19PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Anybody have direct or otherwise reliable experience with the following colleges?

Hanover College
Middlebury College
Oberlin College
Reed College (Steve Jobs attended, but never graduated!)
University of Vermont
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Washington and Lee
Cornell University (the Ivy League one, not the smaller Cornell in Iowa or wherever).

These are the schools that my oldest daughter got accepted to that we don't have direct experience with. She's waitlisted at the last two, actually. We're gathering the perceptions of friends and family who may have attended.

It might be best to PM me, to avoid cluttering the thread with info largely irrelevant to its topic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2017 04:21PM by John Willoughby.

johnny k – April 02, 2017 04:42PM Reply Quote
Only thing I got is that my best friend went to Reed and dropped out after a year, too. Unfortunately he didn't have the internal motivation that Jobs did. I'm sure the radical attitudes and lack of structure were fun for a while, but as an impulsive person looking for direction, it was bad for him. Even a state school art program gives you plenty of freedom, and once the blue hair faded, that's how he finished up.

ARL (Moderator) – April 02, 2017 06:12PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Hanover College

Maybe a bit too obsessed with Empire-building and Colonialism?

ARL (Moderator) – April 03, 2017 12:02AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Followup on the recent dramas.

I went into my private health insurer to change my coverage details. The policy was in my ex's name but billed to my credit card and it's been active the last 10 years or so, maybe longer.

After the separation, I continued paying it as I wanted my daughter covered and it was a negligible difference for my ex to remain on it as well.

My ex had another kid (not mine) at the start of this year and had added them to the policy.

I don't know how you can do that, unless you don't have a conscience...

El Jeffe – April 03, 2017 12:10AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Tony, sorry man.
John, I do not have anyone directly from those schools. Wisconsin and Cornell stand out to me as larger schools with broad appeal. Not sure of major/focus.
What is her attitude towards inclement weather?

John Willoughby – April 03, 2017 05:42AM Reply Quote
She actually loves overcast weather, rain, and snow, and dislikes sun and heat. Legacy of a Nevada upbringing. I think that after one Wisconsin winter she might reassess.

John Willoughby – April 03, 2017 05:42AM Reply Quote
ARL

Hanover College

Maybe a bit too obsessed with Empire-building and Colonialism?

I don't know. They've done alright for themselves.

Mokers (Moderator) – April 10, 2017 07:06AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Our car seats are now forward facing, I repeat, our car seats are now forward facing! Amazing how much better the ergonomics are for everybody involved. And now we can use that fancy DVD player that came with the car.

Also, we went to Ikea yesterday to start the thoughts on moving out of the crib. Wanted to see what they thought of the big beds. Verdict: lots of jumping on the bed in my future.

El Jeffe – April 10, 2017 08:35AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
what if you drive in reverse? Are they forward facing then? Huh... mmmm???

Mokers (Moderator) – April 10, 2017 08:48AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
With the backup camera, I should be good.

johnny k – April 10, 2017 11:11AM Reply Quote
Yeah, can't wait to put the seats facing forward. Wife says not until 35 lbs, I think.

ARL (Moderator) – May 31, 2017 04:45PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
So, my little padawan wants to go see Wonder Woman - she's like super keen.

On the one hand I think it will be great for my daughter to see a positive female role model.

(Even though her first observation will be how pretty Wonder Woman is - thanks a bunch, modern day society and all your gender-role negative stereotype reinforcing - how do you deprogram that from a kid?)

I'm just wondering if all the action might be a bit too much though. On the one hand she was totally fine with Rogue One, but she freaked out watching the end of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (the Basilisk). We watched the Chamber of Secrets after my daughter had gone on at length about having watched most of the 3rd movie and wanting to see that. Chamber of Secrets is PG recommended for ages 8+ and she spends a third of the film covering her eyes, at the time I was like "FFS, really?"

Does anyone else get this Jekyl/Hyde "I'm-NOT-scared-I-Wanna-See-It/OK-Now-I'm-Going-To-Scream-In-Public" circus? This does make movie choices rather frustrating (and there are times I feel like banning anything not G rated until she learns to "behave" watching movies, both at home and at cinemas).

The initial review of Wonder Woman says 12+ (Rogue One, fwiw, is 11+ on the same site) which is kinda making me lean toward "hell no."

Has it screened in the US yet? Any thoughts on the appropriate age for kids with this one?

John Willoughby – May 31, 2017 06:22PM Reply Quote
Screens this weekend. My gut instinct would be that if it is rated worse than Rogue One, better wait until video. Unless, of course, her mother will take her anyway and you don't want to play bad cop for no reason.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login