Spork Boards

small, furry, loud, dangerous

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – November 15, 2008 04:46AM Reply Quote
a thread about our spawn.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 28, 2016 06:10AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Jeffe, there is not much around the Fremont area near the Tesla plant. Lots of commercial buildings, some hotels, etc, but not too much residential. There are other locations in Fremont that are more residential. If it's just for the summer, you may think about Santa Clara which is safer but going to be a bit more expensive and a longer drive to work.

El Jeffe – August 05, 2016 11:43AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Thanks. I need to touch base with his progress. He's started interviewing this week.

John Willoughby – August 08, 2016 08:04AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Youngest daughter's first day of middle school. I get a frantic text from the bus: "Why is all my music gone, even the stuff that isn't Apple Music?!"

WTF, Apple, why does this keep happening to people? The default behavior if a phone can't reach your servers shouldn't be to hide everything.

Now I have to go research what the hell actually happened.

Cloudscout – August 09, 2016 01:48PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
John Willoughby
The default behavior if a phone can't reach your servers shouldn't be to hide everything.

That sounds like treason, citizen. Report for re-education.

John Willoughby – August 10, 2016 07:36AM Reply Quote
Cloudscout
John Willoughby
The default behavior if a phone can't reach your servers shouldn't be to hide everything.

That sounds like treason, citizen. Report for re-education.

I can't. Apple Maps can't connect to the server, and hid everything.

Jeff Cooper – August 11, 2016 06:49AM Reply Quote
Son enters high school. Yikes.

El Jeffe – August 11, 2016 06:58AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
fun times

El Jeffe – August 13, 2016 08:39AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Took my third one out for her first drive today. Got her permit this week. Did well, for most part.
even on a two-wide roundabout, which is tricky for some/many Indiana folks. Yeah, she stood out for her overly cautious moves in middle of town, but not bad overall.
It helps she drove the 1996 CAR OF THE YEAR Grand Caravan! (by every measure, a fine automobile. lol)

John Willoughby – August 13, 2016 03:03PM Reply Quote
Big milestone, El Jeffe. Congratulations.

My oldest, driving the Nissan Leaf, got angry that her phone wasn't streaming Bluetooth well. So she punched the screen of the car's control panel. Broke a $25 glass touch screen. Unfortunately, the $25 touch screen is no longer manufactured or sold by Clarion. Since it was discontinued, thousands of Leaf drivers with this issue have scoured the Internet for the part. Nissan's only fix is apparently to replace the whole console for $3,600 (I haven't spoken to the dealer yet, but it is widely reported).

I've found the console, used, for a different model year on eBay for $785, but I don't know who the hell we could get to install it. Not that I had anybody to install the $25 part, either (it is apparently a tricky install).

A lot of car functions are controlled from that screen (GPS, charging schedule, heating/cooling schedule, others), but I guess that we're just going to leave it broken.

I am so angry with my daughter, but she's repentant and there's nothing to be gained by making her suicidal. School and college search are stressing her this year. Five AP courses, when just three were stressing her out last year.

johnny k – August 13, 2016 07:59PM Reply Quote
Congrats, and -sigh-, respectively. You're still leasing the Leaf, or bought it?
I can't wait. My daughter currently only inflicts violence on the baby or the dog, which fix themselves. At least she says "kick dog" while she does it so I know to rescue him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2016 07:59PM by johnny k.

John Willoughby – August 14, 2016 11:10AM Reply Quote
Bought the Leaf. For a little more than twice what that console unit would cost. Her next car is going to be a Flintstones car. Hard to break, easy to repair.

Mokers (Moderator) – August 14, 2016 01:40PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I think my kids gave me the plague.

John Willoughby – August 14, 2016 08:29PM Reply Quote
My youngest brought home the cold from hell. We're all just waiting to see who catches it.

El Jeffe – August 15, 2016 12:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
J-Will,

Have you tried http://www.car-part.com for Leaf/Clarion screen?

Mokers (Moderator) – August 15, 2016 07:00AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Well, luckily it looks to be only a 24-48 hour thing and my in-laws took them overnight yesterday so we could get some rest. Still, it's funny. When my kids were sick (about two days apart) they were just a little cranky and seemed to have lost their appetite. when my wife and I were sick, we were curled up in bed hardly able to move.

John Willoughby – August 15, 2016 10:27AM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
J-Will,

Have you tried http://www.car-part.com for Leaf/Clarion screen?

Thanks, Jeffe. Not quite sure what I'd be getting with some of those descriptions, or how I'd get anything installed, but worth pursuing further.

El Jeffe – August 15, 2016 01:17PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
they have an app, too, that I use, by the way.

El Jeffe – August 16, 2016 09:44AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
So far we are blessed with the Kettering University experience for DS2 (Dear Son #2).
so, again, it's 11 weeks of class; then 11 weeks of WORK (aka co-op)
The transformation has been amazing. What could be observed as your typical xbox/sleep in, sleep WAY in teenage boy, has now joined numerous clubs, been racing, fabbed carbon-fiber, drive hours to job/co-op interviews, (TYING HIS OWN TIE!) (re)presenting himself as a mature, responsible adult to perspective employers et al.

Has received to-date two co-op job offers. And one today was from a visit that really got him excited. FCA (formerly Chrysler). Visited the HQ and CTC (Chrysler Tech Center).
The offer includes housing, which is great. He has visit/interview with Bosch tomorrow, but FCA blew him away.

He will be more than 1/2 way thru semester before old bro heads back... AND have a paying/free housing job lined up to pay for it all. Love the idea.
Plus, I graduated from CHRYSLER HS, most of my family has worked for Chrysler (brother, brother in law, most uncles including the highest seniority employee with 61 years), roommate was flown up by Lee Iacocca and offered a job. etc. etc... Plus I drive etc 96 car of the year, Dodge Grand Caravan. hahah

He visited their wind tunnel...

John Willoughby – August 16, 2016 10:53AM Reply Quote
I cannot look at that image without thinking of Firefly.

Jeff Cooper – August 18, 2016 08:49AM Reply Quote
I'm late coming to this, but congrats, Jeffe, on the recent developments.

I'm roughly 15 months away from my son becoming eligible for a learner's permit. The thought terrifies me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login